Derivation of alternative inertia equation, I'm close but one bits not working

Watch
lbsf1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This question is more engineering than physics however I was hoping someone could help me.

The help sheet we have been given hints to us that the for 1/t^2 = km the k=(gr^2)/(2is) (where i is inertia.).

I have managed to derive very nearly that equation, however for me I just get r instead of r^2. Here is my method, if you see any errors it would be brilliant if you could point them out.

For our experiment we have a spindle with a string wound round it and a mass attached to the end, on the other end of the spindle is a larger disc (we are measuring the inertia of).

the torque applied = mass dropped x g x radius of spindle = mgr
To use the equation inertia = T/acel we obvs need aceleration. this can be got using suvat
s= ut+1/2 at^2 where ut = 0 s= distance fallen of mass and t = time measured to do so.
this ends up with acel = 2s/t^2

so inertia = (mgr)/(2s/t^2)
which then rearranges to
1/t^2 = km where k = gr/2is no r^2

I'm struggling to work out whether its a typo in the sheet or me being a moron somehow, a few other people have just skipped this part of the report or not derived it, however from what the requirements say I'm thinking they want us to derive it.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lbsf1)

the torque applied = mass dropped x g x radius of spindle = mgr
To use the equation inertia = T/acel we obvs need aceleration. this can be got using suvat
s= ut+1/2 at^2 where ut = 0 s= distance fallen of mass and t = time measured to do so.
this ends up with acel = 2s/t^2

so inertia = (mgr)/(2s/t^2)
which then rearranges to
1/t^2 = km where k = gr/2is no r^2

I'm struggling to work out whether its a typo in the sheet or me being a moron somehow, a few other people have just skipped this part of the report or not derived it, however from what the requirements say I'm thinking they want us to derive it.
The acceleration you need in the Torque=moment of inertia x accel formula (highlighted) must be angular acceleration.

The suvat formula you have used has just calculated the linear acceleration of the mass, not the angular acceleration of the disc.
You need to divide the linear acceleration by r to find the angular accel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise