The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria vs Teesside - Computer Games Programming

Hi,
So I've received offers from both of these uni's but I'm stuck on which one I should pick for my insurance choice. My first choice is Newcastle Uni and the offer is ABB (equates to 320 points) so obviously I'm going to have to go with an offer lower than that. My offer from Northumbria is 320 points as well however, and from Teesside is 260. I was going to go for Teesside as my insurance choice but I'm just curious which uni has the better reputation.
Thanks
Original post by magic_andrew
Hi,
So I've received offers from both of these uni's but I'm stuck on which one I should pick for my insurance choice. My first choice is Newcastle Uni and the offer is ABB (equates to 320 points) so obviously I'm going to have to go with an offer lower than that. My offer from Northumbria is 320 points as well however, and from Teesside is 260. I was going to go for Teesside as my insurance choice but I'm just curious which uni has the better reputation.
Thanks

A lot of courses in the School of Computing at Teesside are accredited, they have an excellent computing department and are host of Animex (huge, international games/animation/vfx event) and you have the option to do a year in industry between years 2 and 3 so they must have pretty good connections :biggrin: That and I know there are tonnes of groups related to the Uni that you can join on LinkedIn etc that have industry people in them...

Not sure on Northumbria I'm afraid, maybe they're great at programming but never really heard about them tbh. Of course, I'm rather biased because I'm in the school of computing at Teesside :biggrin:
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Does location matter to you?

I went to an interview at Teesside and I've met a couple of people over at Northumbria. Long story short, I preferred Northumbria hands down. I knew Teesside wasn't the place for me the moment I got off the train :biggrin: They're a very campus-based Uni which is great if that is what you're looking for, and their tutors are very friendly (and quirky :smile: ) They definitely place emphasis on getting you on your own two feet in the 'real' world by the time you graduate, tonnes of support, placement opportunities, etc. Perhaps Teesside was located somewhere more alive, I'd be happier to go...

If it doesn't matter, just pick whichever feels most right. Reputation wise they are more or less the same. The only difference is that Teesside will guarantee you a work placement in third year. Not sure about Northumbria.
Reply 3
I know I'm three weeks behind on this, but I hope my experience can help you. First things first, I'm a second year Games Programmer at Northumbria, but I know of people Teeside's course too. I'll try keep this as unbiased as possible and leave the choice down to you.

From what I'm told, the Teeside course is very fast-paced - my first year friends there are learning things that I'm learning in my second year. Then again, both courses are different. In your first year at Northumbria, you complete two programming modules that cover command line and simple 2D engine games programming; a module on how processors and computers work (taught by the legendary Dave Harrison); one on games design; one on maths and the final one: a games project. From what I know, Teeside take a different approach: maths, databases, computer systems and some C++ along the way. Looking at both module lists, Teeside looks to cover a much vaster area of games (and have optional modules), whereas we cover a slightly smaller area (and have no optionals as far as I am aware). Teeside has less exams too, but Northumbria's exams are also preparation for the real world where you may take exams when getting a job.

I'm not going to judge by accreditation. Both courses are accredited to a body (Northumbria is BCS, Teeside is Skillset), but I can assure you that Northumbria's course has been shaped by what the industry want (through local companies). There's also plenty of support from tutors and we have our very own dedicated lab here too (with a gigantic King Kong in it). Out of the course, there's plenty going on at our SU - we have over 90 societies and a load of events every semester, so there's plenty of time to meet new people! :biggrin:

Newcastle as a whole I would say is much better than Teeside too (and has a better rep). We're a very small city, but there's so many places to explore and something happening every day and every night. I'll leave the choice to you though. Both universities will have Applicant Days coming up so you can go and make your mind up/ask questions. Personally I love Northumbria and its definitely the one I'd go for time and time again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending