The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
vjimit
Now this might be a generalisation but ive been on these forums for the past few months reading UCAS,university forums etc and most people applying to university seem to be predicted AAA and with exceptional GCSE results aswell. Has anyone else noticed this? If yes what do you think the reason behind this is? Do you think this forum is representative of the whole population?

I think its because its clever people and people who want to do well are the ones who are on the forums. If you didnt want to do well then theres no point in coming online. Im glad there are lots of clever people around there to help my many questions. TSR is a life saver.
Reply 2
vjimit
Re: Is it just me or is the majority of people on here extremely intelligent!

vjimit
Now this might be a generalisation but ive been on these forums for the past few months reading UCAS,university forums etc and most people applying to university seem to be predicted AAA and with exceptional GCSE results aswell. Has anyone else noticed this? If yes what do you think the reason behind this is? Do you think this forum is representative of the whole population?

I fail to see the logical connection. (Notwithstanding the grammatic fecklessness of the thread-title.)
Reply 3
I think TSR is representative of the top 10% of the population academically..

Most people who come ehre are concerned about their exams, subjects and their future and thus do better in exams, etc than the average student.
Reply 4
Plus remember at the moment lots of people who are doing applications are applying either for oxbridge or medicine (so will have good grades) at the dealine is early.
Reply 5
Thanks you all for your replies. i am beggining to become very concerned about my prospect for university. I am applying for economics and finance at UCL Bristol Royal Holloway Queen Mary Southampton and City. I am predicted A in Economics A in Sociology B in Maths.(AAB). I have 5A's 6'B's 2C's at GCSE. I began to get the feeling that i have no chance in hell of gettin into places like UCL or Bristol with after seeing all the competition in here. And i know UCL ask for AAA but i thought that with an excellent reference and statement that i have i would stand a chance, but it looks like my chances are glum if this forum is anything to go by. I just want to know what other people people think about my chances at the universities ive applied to.

Thank You
Reply 6
I know how you feel, sometimes it makes me glum hearing people with 12 A*s say that they think they've been rejected from uni x etc, It makes me feel even more hopeless.

I guess TSR is my catalyst for working harder..Everytime I come here it motivates me

Your results are quite good so don't worry. TSR isnt representative of the whole population nor average student. Im sure you will get offers from UCL and Bristol :smile:
Reply 7
I agree with Katy. But I didnt get "great" GCSE results.
Reply 8
TSR is by no means representative of the whole student population. My grades seem to be just below average on this forum, yet i came in the top 10% of my school (high performing comprehensive).

The reason is that the high performing academically people will be drawn to what is a (predominantly) academic forum, so general you find the best of the bunch around here.

Your grades should be fine for those unis so you shouldn't worry too much about it.
Reply 9
I would say I am 'the average' student nationally.
I'm well below average on this forum, but nationally I'm about average.
I'm glad I've found this forum as it really does motivate you to do well. :biggrin:
Reply 10
You feel you don't have a chance? Half of the people I have seen on these forums have applied to do identical courses as I have at the same Universities. If they get an offer and I don't, I'll Kill them!!! (Hint: MTBAB!)
Reply 11
Most are.

I'm a bit of a retarded person though :smile:
people here are geeks
Have you ever thought people may not tell the truth about where they apply and what grades they got? Who's gonna check if someone got 12 A*s and is doing 7 a-levels.

Plus a lot of people on here are geeks and that you shouldn't worry about applying...i'm sure they'd much rather have you than some other person woth a milion qualifications (who wants a know-it-all in the uni anyway?)
Reply 14
we are all geeks :biggrin:
Reply 15
I agree with darkfairy753, universities will be looking at more than your grades. Obviously grades are important but some people with 10 or more A*s may well be lacking in criteria such as extra curricular activities or outside interests that other applicants more than fulfill. You just have to have confidence in yourself and your abilities and realise that you may have something to offer that some applicants who achieve better grades do not.

I understand where you're coming from though. I applied to Oxford as I thought I stood a reasonable chance with my grades then saw people on here with all their A*s, 5 A grade AS levels and predicted As. It was a bit depressing originally thinking that I was competing for places with these clever clogs around :p: , but then I thought that I have done a lot out of school and show motivation and enthusiasm for my course etc that hopefully admissions tutors will be looking for

Don't worry, I'm sure your chances are fine :smile:
I'd agree with the OP, most do seem it! Always nice to see people's sig, shows how much hard work and things they've done :smile:

Only thing i don't like is when sometimes people come along with C/D's, even lower grades and instantly it's like 'resit your exams, have a gap year, is Uni right for you?'... It's a bit unfair!!

I had rubbish GCSE's, and shocking A Level results, lol, but i reached high (in terms of Uni) and i got there... but if i came on these boards i probably would of felt really disheartened and stupid in a sense!

But then again, good advice is usually given out, but i don't think people should be too quick to say 'no chance' to those with no A grades!

Anyway, your grades are good so good luck for Uni :smile:

-x-
vjimit

I think a lot of people on these boards enjoy their education and enjoy being students, so they sign up because they find the board interesting, and because they enjoy their education they do well.

Not everyone is straight A though... I mean I got BBBD at AS lol.
Reply 18
I have average results "nationally" but was eleventh at my old school for GCSEs, it depends if your naturally gifted or just work hard (I am not saying naturally gifted people dont work). But remember Bristol prefers if your a BCC candiate, and your at a school where you scored the only B in your class, than a AAA candiate from a Grammar School. As a report recently found that Grammar students at Universities are more likly to drop out as they are not being forced fed and can't cope with the indpendent study aspect opf Uni. (Please do not put me on warning)
Reply 19
only geeks go on message boards in their free time to talk about school. lol. also it seems like for most people on here school is the number 1 most important thing in their life :indiff:

Latest

Trending

Trending