Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dunno - During GCSE's I didn't care about school and got by doing the absolute minimum... after that something made me want to do better for A levels, perhaps knowing I could have done better, perhaps because my peers had all done so much better then me or perhaps because I wanted to go to a better university which would give me better opportunities in my life in the future. People probably seem like school is the number 1 most important thing here because they're working towards getting the best grades to make their chances of getting into the best uni's possible all so they can try and have the best life when they're older... that's what i think but maybe i'm completely wrong!

ReputationRep:
    yeah fair enough trying to do well and everything i mean its obviously important but i get the impression that some people here are gonna go insane if alllll they can think about is school and getting into uni or whatever, you need to have some sort of balance lol other wise its just unhealthy. there are other things in life

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest the majority of TSR users who frequent the Academic related forums, tend to be more inclined and motivated to discuss educational, and academic issues such as course courses, past papers, revision techniques. Therefore it would be wise to assume that candidates who take such a vested interest in their academic success would be achieving disproportionately higher results than in comparison to national averages.

However, The Student Room also caters for a whole other aspect of student like - the social aspect. And, it is fair to say that the majority of students posting in the entertainment, sport and other non-educational forums tend not to disclose and obsess over their educational achievements and awards than in comparison to frequent users of the academic related forums.

ReputationRep:
    TSR is in no way representative of the student population as a whole. Only students who really care about their education and are determined to succeed would use forums like this, hence it makes sense that they get better grades than others who aren't as interested. There are also lots of people here from very good schools, and as someone else mentioned, a lot of people who have just applied were Oxbridge/medicine candidates who needed top grades. To the OP, I don't know what the other unis apart from UCL ask for, but your GCSE grades are good, your predictions are very good and you say your personal statement and reference are strong, so you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes majority of people on here are academically excellent... but whether they are extremely intelligent is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    some of the less intelligent people, may feel intimidated posting on these forums....or it could be that there are stereotypical "geeks", that spend their social life online and researching all the time

ReputationRep:
    I am the exception .

A lot of people on here will resent throwing away their teenage years inside studying when they realise nobody in the real world gives a **** if you got 10 A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    only geeks go on message boards in their free time to talk about school. lol. also it seems like for most people on here school is the number 1 most important thing in their life

Evidently you are now a geek...

TSR is by no means representitive of the general student population - more like a cross section of the most acedemic 5%....

please dont make generalistions - I for one love going out and drinking and had a load of extra curic stuff - Yes when I work - I work hard - but I play harder.

GCSEs do not necessaryily indicate intelligence - I found some to be a elaborate memory excercise. and to be honest with so many online resources for coursework ect -...its debatable what they are a indication of....

No one should feel intimidated - theres a heelova lot more to life then grades.

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    LOL 'intelligent'..I've been here since 2003 and out of all the highly academic achievers, not many I can say are 'intelligent' ^^ but there are definitely some intelligent people here

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is intelligent on the Internet.

Everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vjimit)
    Now this might be a generalisation but ive been on these forums for the past few months reading UCAS,university forums etc and most people applying to university seem to be predicted AAA and with exceptional GCSE results aswell. Has anyone else noticed this? If yes what do you think the reason behind this is? Do you think this forum is representative of the whole population?
    yeh i know they are all clever.. i try to be clever like them but i just dont get the grades even though i put in a lot fo effort
    Dont know how they do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robot_overlord)
    Everyone is intelligent on the Internet.

Everyone.
    that depends on how you define 'intelligence'
    human are intelligent, comparing to the rest ^^ that's true
    if i see a monkey surfing the net, I can definitely say the monkey is 'extremely intelligent' ^^

ReputationRep:
    i was called a geek at school but i don't feel like one when i'm talking to all these intelligent people!

ReputationRep:
    some very "intelligent" people dont have a ounce of commen sense....

thats worse -

I know a Cambridge History candidate 8A*...predicted AAAA at A2.....

and he once asked me how to use a microwave....

the type that you twist the timer and press go...

dont put yourselves down folks

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    that depends on how you define 'intelligence'
    human are intelligent, comparing to the rest ^^ that's true
    if i see a monkey surfing the net, I can definitely say the monkey is 'extremely intelligent' ^^
    Nonono, you misunderstand. Everyone is intelligent. Just in the same way that everyone is a well built, secure and solvent genius with razor sharp wit and an adorable sense of humour.

Its just an accepted maxim on the Internet that people lie about everything for the sake of lying and there is never any rhyme or reason to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    some very "intelligent" people dont have a ounce of commen sense....

thats worse -

I know a Cambridge History candidate 8A*...predicted AAAA at A2.....

and he once asked me how to use a microwave....

the type that you twist the timer and press go...

dont put yourselves down folks

Wangers
    and for a scientist, common sense is the least thing you want. Because there wouldn't be any discoveries if we just ignored everything because our common sense tells us this shouldn't happen ^^

but yeah..universities are not looking for hardcore geeks who doesn't communicate with the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robot_overlord)
    Nonono, you misunderstand. Everyone is intelligent. Just in the same way that everyone is a well built, secure and solvent genius with razor sharp wit and an adorable sense of humour.

Its just an accepted maxim on the Internet that people lie about everything for the sake of lying and there is never any rhyme or reason to it.
    so you are saying those people who said they've got AAAA are lying?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is evidence of the number of retarded gorillas who frequent TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    so you are saying those people who said they've got AAAA are lying?
    No, I am saying that on the Internet people lie. You are all people and ergo you could be lying but I think you are all far too nice for that. :rolleyes:

As a charming coincidence, I did get AAAA but thats a discussion for another topic.

ReputationRep:
    Lol

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.