Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    With all due respect, I can compound whatever I like; including (but by no means limited to) my own conceit.
    You really are intoxicated by the exuberance of your own verbosity. But, having said that, a sesquipedalian poster certainly beats one who fills his/her posts with text speak on an internet forum. You could try posting a bit more vernacularly, for some may not be able to make sense of your often indecipherable prose without making reference to a dictionary. However, please don't allow the proletariat to crush your most excellent articulacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sol89)
    Ditto!! :mad:

I wish my school would get it's ass into gear!
    I finished my application about 3 weeks ago!

Your application has yet to be checked by your referee/co-ordinator.
    12:55 09 Oct 2006 Your reference is in progress.

What my school is doing is waiting for all the dumb-dumbs to catch up and complete their applications before Friday because that's our UCAS deadline at our school.
    Why should I have to suffer, and possibly have my offers risked because most of the people in my year couldn't care less about their future education and would be happy to settle for some crappy ex-poly that would probably require a personal statement that looks like it was written by a Key Stage 3 student to get in! :mad:
    With an attitude like that, you're unemployable anyway. Save your money and get a job in the Spar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physical Geographer)
    You really are intoxicated by the exuberance of your own verbosity. But, having said that, a sesquipedalian poster certainly beats one who fills his/her posts with text speak on an internet forum. You could try posting a bit more vernacularly, for some may not be able to make sense of your often indecipherable prose without making reference to a dictionary. However, please don't allow the proletariat to crush your most excellent articulacy.
    Oh dear god! FFS why can't you just talk normally?

ReputationRep:
    Re:Is it just me or is the majority of people on here extremely intelligent!
    I think you might just be the only extremely intelligent person here ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sol89)
    What attitude? I don't see why my university place should be put at risk just because most people can't be bothered to get their applications done early.

I heard a group of people in our study room saying "Where are you going for uni" and her friend replying "Dunno"
    Those are the people holding my application up. I think they're the ones that need to save their money and get a job in Spar personally.
    I doubt your place is being put at risk, but it was your rant about people going to ex-polys that made you come off looking like a prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physical geographer)
    You speak in the vernacular, not vernacularly. Proletariat means labour force. Just, no...

ReputationRep:
    So how would one use the adverb 'vernacularly', then? Give me an example.

The proletariat is also the lowest class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physical Geographer)
    just trying to read this gave me a head ache :confused:

ReputationRep:
    im dumb lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by physical geographer

Clearly a pompus effort to overstate yur articulacy - how long did you spend over the dictionary?

ReputationRep:
    No time. That paragraph was constructed using a collection of big words I have previously learned. At one point I will have checked the dictionary for their meanings, but certainly not in this season. My articulacy is not superior, either.

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the aim of good english is to communicate clearly to the audience intended? Using such sophisticated language that most people reading this site (even if the majority are extremely intelligent) wouldn't understand just means the communication will fail!

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree - well, not on the majority being extremely intelligent bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vjimit)
    Now this might be a generalisation but ive been on these forums for the past few months reading UCAS,university forums etc and most people applying to university seem to be predicted AAA and with exceptional GCSE results aswell. Has anyone else noticed this? If yes what do you think the reason behind this is? Do you think this forum is representative of the whole population?

yes definately! when i was reading everyones predicted grades i was like :eek: AAA everyone is predicted AAA or really high! glad its not just me that thought that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Surely the aim of good english is to communicate clearly to the audience intended? Using such sophisticated language that most people reading this site (even if the majority are extremely intelligent) wouldn't understand just means the communication will fail!
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent - quite a few but not me I suppose Im about average for TSR - ABCD for my AS's, predicted ABB for my A2s. It is a bit off-putting when I see all the people with AAAA predictions, but I just remind myself that Im doing the best I can do and no-one can change that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoothie)
    It definitely motivates me! My college is absolute crap wit no work ethic at all, and tis is reflected 100% in the grades. I comes on here to give me a kick up the bum really! Plus everyone's usually friendly and willing to help with any questions etc which I think is nice!
    Ditto, I found this site after my GCSEs and I think the change in performance has something to do with TSR.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...Being predicted AAAA isnt the end all of it - Im predicted that - but its pretty damm useless if you dont get it - personally I dont think I will but hey!

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    being around people who are motivated and all discussing exams and academic related topics definitely motivates me to work harder and makes me start working much sooner than I other wise would. Having said that academic success is not always a sign of immense intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsy88)
    being around people who are motivated and all discussing exams and academic related topics definitely motivates me to work harder and makes me start working much sooner than I other wise would. Having said that academic success is not always a sign of immense intelligence.
    I agree, I have always had academic success in terms of getting good grades in GCSEs/Alevels, but I honestly don't believe that I am intelligent! I do such stupid things sometimes, like the other day I locked myself out of the house and ended up wandering the streets with no shoes on. All the leaves kept getting stuck to my tights But on a serous note I strongly believe that getting straight As does not necessarily mean that someone is naturally intelligent.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.