The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge really care about GCSEs?

I'm studying A levels, and at GCSEs, I got decent grades, not good or bad: 2 As, 5 Bs and 3 Cs. I've always dreamed of going to Cambridge, and my A levels are going well so far, but I'm not naturally smart or "gifted".

I was hoping for advice to see if my desire for Cambridge is too out of my league with GCSEs such as the ones I've gotten.
Or if I happen to get AMAZING A levels, which is unlikely however I'm still optimistic, does Cambridge view GCSEs as liability if they're not great?

I am aware Medicine and Veterinary courses require 6-10 As-A*s, however I'm not interested in those courses. I would like to do a Physics course which I know needs A* in Physics and A* in Mathematics and A in something else.

So.. yeaaah, thank you for reading!
Reply 1
I'm also a year 12 student wanting to go to Cambridge for physics. I don't think Cambridge puts too much choice on GCSEs. Its more ums they care about. So if you get like 95% this year then it should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Fleuryette
I'm studying A levels, and at GCSEs, I got decent grades, not good or bad: 2 As, 5 Bs and 3 Cs. I've always dreamed of going to Cambridge, and my A levels are going well so far, but I'm not naturally smart or "gifted".

I was hoping for advice to see if my desire for Cambridge is too out of my league with GCSEs such as the ones I've gotten.
Or if I happen to get AMAZING A levels, which is unlikely however I'm still optimistic, does Cambridge view GCSEs as liability if they're not great?

I am aware Medicine and Veterinary courses require 6-10 As-A*s, however I'm not interested in those courses. I would like to do a Physics course which I know needs A* in Physics and A* in Mathematics and A in something else.

Your GCSEs are relatively poor by Cambridge standards, but if you get excellent AS results + predictions of A*A*A in relevant subjects then you stand a chance.

I presume you know that there is no "straight Physics" at Cambridge - you would apply for Natural Sciences which would then allow you to specialize as you go through the course?
Reply 3

If you got those grades in a decent school having worked hard then I suspect you will not be able to achieve the A2 standard which is required. So whilst it is true that Cambridge don't worry much about GCSEs it is not true that they cannot predict the likelihood of success. The number of offers for any subject to people with no A* at GCSE is tiny.

Most NatSci offer holders achieve 3A* at A level, exceeding the minimum offer.

Having said that if you work hard and develop through these two years then there is no reason why you should apply and I'm sure you will be successful somewhere.

You really dont want to be applying to Cambridge. Either go to harvard, or accept you are a failure

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs aside, you have to be naturally smart and gifted for Cambridge. The point of the interview to really to determine how smart you are. They can really pick and choose. I know a guy who got 12A*s at GCSE and 90+ UMS in 7 AS levels, all of which he took to full A level, really smart guy, still got pooled from his college (ended up getting in to a different college but you see the point I'm making). So I guess the lesson is, GCSEs and A levels aren't everything, but pretty much everyone who gets in will be very, very smart.

I am in a similar situation because I gained 1 A, 6Bs and a C grade and so far with my AS levels I'm going into my exam period looking to achieve at least 4 A grades. It appears that Cambridge use the UMS as an interview filter like oxford does with GCSE grades. So cambridge are likely to interview people with excellent UMS and they will be likely to question poor attainment at gcse. So the key is to achieve excellent grades to gett to interview and then prove that Gcse was just a blip. Everyone who applies is likely to lack in some areas e.g failing at interview. Anyway goodluck with your exams and your application. Cambridge also have the winter pool as well which can help people like us.
They care much more about UMS than GCSEs, I got 1 A*, 4As and 5Bs and got it (which is relatively low for Cambridge). Saying that though I went to a veered bad school which may have factored in. Just try hard at AS and if you get 90+ UMS you may as well apply.
Cambridge cares about UMS in AS, especially for Nat Sci (If you were going for Law or Medicine, it would be different). However, Cambridge is a dream for a lot of people. Don't dwell on, as if Cambridge is the be all and end all. They do reject a lot of intelligent candidates as there isn't space for everyone. Good Luck for your AS Levels! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending