desah001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I wanted to know how console video games visuals made and how it developed over time. What software/tools are used to make them look 3D ? Did the film industry influence them? I don't know much about the hardware and software involved so i'd love to know!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desah001)
I wanted to know how console video games visuals made and how it developed over time. What software/tools are used to make them look 3D ? Did the film industry influence them? I don't know much about the hardware and software involved so i'd love to know!
That's a massive question dude!

Game started off using low amounts of power as you well know. These games were using generic components to run - ie CPU and RAM. They could be described as using software rendering. These games had their limitations graphically - for instance you'd unlikely find a game with millions of colours or fully rendered 3D environments. Software rendered games pretty much ran until the end of the 16-bit console era.

Post 16-bit console era, we had a world of hardware accelerated games. Hardware accelerated means that specific hardware is used to improve the rendering speed or quality of a game, for instance a GPU or the MMX extension on earlier Pentium CPUs. This gave way to 3D rendered environments, higher resolution games and higher rendering details.

As hardware developed, new rendering techniques developed to improve image quality, for instance Anti-Aliasing, Ambient Occlusion and Trilinear Mipmap Filtering. All these have developed over time to give us the level of graphics we have today.

Try watching this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzN2pgL0zeg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads