UCAS encourages students to be lazy during Christmas Holidays

Watch this thread
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This is shocking from UCAS who are trying to get students through University and they tell them to just relax over the Christmas.I have a lot of Additional Further Maths self study to get through and I may try to do STEP.UCAS might stop people getting the offers they need to get into University and usually students don't do enough work over Christmas, so I don't think telling them to relax is a good idea.
Attached files
Lionheart96
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
so?
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
This is shocking from UCAS who are trying to get students through University and they tell them to just relax over the Christmas.I have a lot of Additional Further Maths self study to get through and I may try to do STEP.
There's a difference between relaxing and being lazy...
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by EloiseStar)
There's a difference between relaxing and being lazy...
The message says that UCAS hopes you will be putting down the books this implies doing no work at all to me.
Unruly Marmite
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It sounds like sound advice- you certainly sound like you need to relax.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Having down-time is a good idea. It stops you burning out and thus losing enthusiasm. Taking two weeks out of the year is not going to result in 3 U's come the summer.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No way, i have two course work drafts to do and revision for mocks by January the 5th.

That being said, the worst thing about this email was that i thought it was a track update and it got my hopes up and then dashed them with this boring, trivial crap.
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Teachers have said similar things before too

"Put your books away for a while during the holiday to relax"

It really isn't a big deal. People who are planning on working will, and those who aren't won't. I highly doubt UCAS's message will determine whether you revise
björk
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lmao what is your problem exactly?
If you feel like and have time for it then chill out, if you don't then... don't?
No need to take it so personally, I actually find it polite and comforting when someone tells me to relax, over school and university especially.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by Olympiad)
Teachers have said similar things before too

"Put your books away for a while during the holiday to relax"

It really isn't a big deal. People who are planning on working will, and those who aren't won't. I highly doubt UCAS's message will determine whether you revise
You will hardly never hear teachers say things like this they sometimes say that you can have a day off during the holidays but they usually except you to work solid during the holidays.I didn't really work in the first year but I only had my AS exams, now I have to study hard for my self study and try and get some STEP revision done.Its more to do with the fact that UCAS should be encouraging students to study and the email implies that students should do nothing over the holidays through them telling you to put down your books.
CD223
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Isn't Christmas aimed at family and not textbooks?
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Some people take things way too seriously.

If you want to study over Christmas, go for it

You could take that as "put down the books for ALL of December until January" or "put down the books on Christmas day"

Lighten up a little....
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You will hardly never hear teachers say things like this they sometimes say that you can have a day off during the holidays but they usually except you to work solid during the holidays.I didn't really work in the first year but I only had my AS exams, now I have to study hard for my self study and try and get some STEP revision done.Its more to do with the fact that UCAS should be encouraging students to study and the email implies that students should do nothing over the holidays through them telling you to put down your books.
I think it is common for teachers to say it. They know that hard working students are going to work anyway, and they know that nobody is going to take it 100% seriously.

Also - I wrote "for a while", that doesn't imply completely. It means that it's okay to revise every now and then.

Like the above poster, I agree that it's conforting to hear people saying that it's okay to relax during the holiday, especially when you are stressed enough about work, a little bit of relaxation will not be the difference between an A* or a U
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did no work over my Christmas break and I came out fine, you need to relax.
blondelocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's a break you're not supposed to work.
hestermae
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is shocking from UCAS who are trying to get students through University and they tell them to just relax over the Christmas.I have a lot of Additional Further Maths self study to get through and I may try to do STEP.UCAS might stop people getting the offers they need to get into University and usually students don't do enough work over Christmas, so I don't think telling them to relax is a good idea.
relaxing doesnt mean do no work, it just means don't stress and dont work all the time. Its a holiday like Ive been doing non stop work since september I need a break
runningoutoftime
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Most of my teachers have said enjoy this holiday as it's the last holiday we will get without having to work for exams or work for money for Uni. At the end of the day it will be better if you start the new year fresh than if you've spent the past 2 weeks with your head revising and being drained. The last 2/3 days of the holidays I will probably go over notes so I'm prepared for probably the most important 6 months of my life so far so I don't know if anyone's joking me but I'm chilling this Christmas !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by runningoutoftime)
Most of my teachers have said enjoy this holiday as it's the last holiday we will get without having to work for exams or work for money for Uni. At the end of the day it will be better if you start the new year fresh than if you've spent the past 2 weeks with your head revising and being drained. The last 2/3 days of the holidays I will probably go over notes so I'm prepared for probably the most important 6 months of my life so far so I don't know if anyone's joking me but I'm chilling this Christmas !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It will be not the last holiday you will get a 3 month holiday from university each year, where you can just relax.
tcim
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Guys, he was just trying to be funny! You are taking it too seriously =_=
runningoutoftime
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It will be not the last holiday you will get a 3 month holiday from university each year, where you can just relax.
some of us may get a summer job of some sorts for money to help with uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads