This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Is anyone doing the Nuffield synoptic exam this Tuesday???
I just find it hard to believe that we are allowed to take our students books in coz thats like cheating. Does it mean that the book doesn't contain all that we need to know and we've got to look up things in more detail???????
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey,

Yep, I'm doing the paper this tuesday - my last exam!!!! woohooo!!!!

It isn't exactly cheating taking the student book and book of data in cos from what I can tell from past papers they won't ask you about stuff that you could just copy an answer from the book. They'll do stuff like ask you about a chemical that you haven't investigated, but that you can predict the reactivity of by looking at the trends in the work you have done, such as the period 3 elements&their compounds etc.
Or they'll ask how you could use infra-red or NMR to tell the difference between two chemicals & you have to work out all the different peaks etc.
I don't really know how to revise for it except looking over everything over the two years and trying to remember what chapter things are in so you can look up reactions to find specific conditions etc. quickly. Have you been told anything different?

Did you do unit 4 last week? How about biochem?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I did Biochem and Unit 4. Biochemistry was OK but Unit 4 was terrible. Like I spent ages getting my head around carboxylic acids and esters but nothing came up. Questions like "name a use for brombenzine".... that just crazy... makes you wonder, therez only 60 marks and if they are filled up with stupid questions you can't revise for WHY BOTHER???

well good luck tommorow (I really need it coz I really want to get a 'B')
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm so glad someone else thought unit 4 was bad! I couldn't believe some of the questions! Wanted to cry!! It took me ages to get my head round the last question about working out the rate of reaction for that acid - base indicator thing...did not like that at all! & that question about the test for ketones and aldehydes - wot did you put for that? I put the Brady's reagent, but couldn't remember the result of that cos it said in the text book we didnt need to know details of that reaction!!! grrrrrrr! I can't find wot else it could be though.
I thought biochem was ok too.

I am finding the why bother revising when all the questions are stupid thing!! Like right now - on the computer instead of reviisng!! lol.

Well, hope it goes well for you tomorrow 2. I think i'll cry if it's horrible cos i need an A! Ahhhh!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Nuffield Chemistry module 4 was so tough. it basically ruined all chances of me getting a decent grade.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
the answer to that question was bradys and the result was an orange percipitate.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Can somebody briefly explain what NMR is??? Say you've got two isomers how would u distinguish them nmr of ir spec???
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Did anyone get that the indicator was started from a high ph and curved down to a low pH... like the other way round/
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
no. it was a normal titration curve.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Did anyone get that the indicator was started from a high ph and curved down to a low pH... like the other way round/
Yeah, I think I did because you were starting with an alkali and adding an acid - we've only ever done them in class were you add an alkali though.

How did people find unit 6?
I didn't think it was as bad as I was expecting. I was pretty pleased really.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.26%
No (566)
65.74%

Watched Threads