The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I used to insist on being driven around by my parents rather than use public transport, not because i think it's disgusting or comon, simply because i am more comfortable in a car. Even now if i am going into town for a few drinks and therefore cannot drive myself then i ask one of my parents to drive me.

My friend Natalie wasn't allowed to dress up at Halloween and her parents were really strict about when she had to be home and she totally rebelled against it.
Reply 101
sebbie
i agree with your mum, i love long hair on girls!

NO you really don't understand, it was soooooo long and I literally have the thickest hair in the world, so there was tonnes of it. PLus I used to swim a ot and I'd have it all piled into my swimming cap and it would get all waterlogged and I'd get neck ache!!
And I always wore it in a plait and people used to pull it. :frown:
You'd still say my hair was long now, past my shoulders. I've had it thinned out though and it's so mcuh more manageable. :smile:
My parents don't have any rules like that. They just want to know where I'm going and the usual "have you got your mobile on you?" They've never even given me a time to be in by. :tongue: And actually ENCOURAGE me getting a b.f. hahahaaaa
Reply 103
Becca
Oh, on the subject of hair, up until the age of 11, I had hair all the way down past my bum because my mum wouldn't let me get it cut...she had to wash it for me and everything, then it got to the stage where I was like "mum, independence please, NEED to wash my own hair!" and she reluctantly let me get it cut, to halfway down my back (so still really long).
Now, thank god, at the age of 20 I am allowed to do what I want wiht my hair, although my mum still whinges everytime I go tothe hairdressers about how lovely my long hair used to be.....

That's the exact opposite to my friend (mentioned in my previous post). She was made to keep it short until she could take care of it herself, and it was only once she went to Uni was she able to properly grow it to waist length. (The last time a professional hairdresser cut her hair was the day before her wedding, she gets her husband to trim it once or twice a year as necessary these days.)
Reply 104
Louenn
That's the exact opposite to my friend (mentioned in my previous post). She was made to keep it short until she could take care of it herself, and it was only once she went to Uni was she able to properly grow it to waist length. (The last time a professional hairdresser cut her hair was the day before her wedding, she gets her husband to trim it once or twice a year as necessary these days.)

Lol, that's why my mum made me have long hair, because SHE was forced to have short hair as a girl. When I was little we had matching plaits all down our backs....:s:
She has really short hair now though! So weird.
Reply 105
No chewy
No going to movies/sleepover/late nights on school nights
No going to parties where there weren't going to be parents
No eating in the street
No friends in room
No going out past 12
No dying hair
No piercing of the ears until 18
No clothes left on the floor
Pocket money - $1 for every of your age
No nail varnish
No makeup at all
No hanging around town after school
Wasn't allowed to shave legs until i was 16!!!!!! So I plucked them
Never allowed out of house in a skirt without stockings/tights (ffs)

Bascially, it was my mother who made the rules and she is so damned scary when she is angry. I realise now I was terrified of her for years. And then, when I turned 18, I didn't give a toss anymore because I was at uni, had my own money and lived away from her. Hurrah!

Bad thing is when I get cross with my cousins I sound like my mum. Must. Stop.

mobiles didn't exist when I was 15 :P:
Lala_luv
lol. I think I need to explain this one. My dad is a lawyer and my mother has a degree in English Literature so, I was being read King Lear, The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest (that sort of thing) at bedtime when I was growing up and because I wasn't allowed out of th house much, all I did when I was younger was read books. I grew up reading non-fiction which wasn't too bad. But when I got older (about 12ish) and discovered Danielle Steele, that was all I read. I hid the books all over the house and eventually, my father got fed up and started tearing them up because I simply wasn't getting any school work done, not even homework! So in a way it was a good thing but at the time I hated my parents for it, especially when I got banned from our local library because I wasn't returning any books (they were getting torn). If they hadnt enforced that rule, I would never have discovered how much I love math. So the story ends happily ever after and all that ladida. :biggrin:
However, I will admit some of the other rules were over the top.

If I got to that stage my parents took away the book I was reading and locked it in a cupboard till I had proven Id done all my homework...if I find a book I love nothing can tear me away now though...homework gets done at breaktime :wink:
Reply 107
Oh I forgot some rules. I wasnt allowed to go out with a knife. Im not sure how that came up as I have never done it, but one day when I went out my mum decided to make me turn out my pockets to make sure I didnt have any offensive weapons on me...I was very confused.

My parents like to know where Im going and what time im coming back, but I just tell them that I dont know the answer to either of those questions. Aslong as I come back within 24 hours they probably dont care.

Thats when Im at home. At uni atm. I can do anything I want..haha!
Segat1
No chewy
No eating in the street
No friends in room
No going out past 12
No dying hair
No nail varnish
No makeup at all

Bascially, it was my mother who made the rules and she is so damned scary when she is angry. I realise now I was terrified of her for years. And then, when I turned 18, I didn't give a toss anymore because I was at uni, had my own money and lived away from her. Hurrah!

Bad thing is when I get cross with my cousins I sound like my mum. Must. Stop.

mobiles didn't exist when I was 15 :P:

You mean waxed...right?
Reply 109
I had to be in bed at 10:00 too.
~NC~
You get used to it though, to be honest i thought i was normal, until i told my friends, they then just laughed

I suppose thats true...
Becca
Oh, on the subject of hair, up until the age of 11, I had hair all the way down past my bum because my mum wouldn't let me get it cut...she had to wash it for me and everything, then it got to the stage where I was like "mum, independence please, NEED to wash my own hair!" and she reluctantly let me get it cut, to halfway down my back (so still really long).
Yup, same here....She only let me go ot the hairdressers on my own for the first time when I was about 14 though...then the hairdresser cut it too short for what i wanted and my mum blamed me and wouldnt let me go alone till I was almost 16..17 now and I go to the hairdressers by myself (wouldnt believe the arguments it causes - they think I go way too often....Ive been twice in the past year and a half...)
Im also not allowed to dye my hair..but I might get some semi-permenant dye just to try...
Hmm Where do I begin?

- I'm not allowed the light in my room on after 9pm at night.
- Until recently I wasn't allowed to Sing in public or at home, Play music, practice my clarinet at home despite the fact I'm a good singer and clarinetist. I rebelled agianst that one and am now a soloist singer in my school concert.
- I'm not allowed to cook food despite the fact I take Food Technology GCSE, at home.
- My mother chose my GCSE options, I had no say :mad:
She's also choosing my 6th form college and A Level choices.
- I can't use the phone.
- I can't use the bath without permission and only them once every 2 weeks (I shower every day though).
- I have to walk everywhere even if it rains.
- I can't wear skirts that show my knees.
- I have to eat whatever food I'm given - even if it makes me sick - no seconds either.
- I can't go upstairs between 7am and 7pm.
- I can't watch the downstairs TV.
- I can't sit in the front seat of a car.
- No friends allowed over.

The main ones that annoy me are the choosing of my GCSEs and the "No Music" rule - they know I love to sing and play music.

Do you really want to know why I refer to my Parents as Mother and Father?

I despise them and they ddespise me. I'm an accident and have no say in anything because of it.

If I argue with them I get a mouthful of abuse and once had a dictionary thrown at me for accidentally leaving it out.

I have more respect for my teachers than my parents - my parents parenting skills are crap - my teachers know me and treat me as a person not an object :frown:
Reply 112
Segat1
No chewy
No eating in the street
No friends in room
No going out past 12
No dying hair
No nail varnish
No makeup at all

Please tell me you're joking. You *plucked* your legs? That must have taken friggin ages!!
Becca
NO you really don't understand, it was soooooo long and I literally have the thickest hair in the world, so there was tonnes of it. PLus I used to swim a ot and I'd have it all piled into my swimming cap and it would get all waterlogged and I'd get neck ache!!
And I always wore it in a plait and people used to pull it. :frown:
You'd still say my hair was long now, past my shoulders. I've had it thinned out though and it's so mcuh more manageable. :smile:

:ditto: thats was bad..gymnastics with my hair was fun....
Reply 114
Yes,I plucked all the hair out of my legs. it took ages
Oh! I had the whole hair saga too!! I had (in all fairness) lovely long blonde thick hair which was past my bum... and my mum wouldn't let me have it cut till Yr8! Plus she insisted on washing it, managed to get out of that in time though!

Strange thing is, my mum really wants me to have it cut short now!!

-x-
maag101
Please tell me you're joking. You *plucked* your legs? That must have taken friggin ages!!

:ditto: and killed...
Segat1
Yes,I plucked all the hair out of my legs. it took ages

nice and smooth afterwards I guess?
Reply 118
I had no rules, ever.

Did everything my own way, some huge mistakes, some that made me into the semi-success i am today.

I'm still rebellious though, although it's fading. From 14-18 I was the antichrist.
Reply 119
Erm..

Going out was very limited ..daytime only til I was about 15/16..
Got to 16 and started going out at night..til 12
I'm 17 and it's gone to 1..

Still fairly strict about me going out though.. these late nights occur rarely.. like once/twice a month..

MSN was a problem?!!? my dad had this MAJOR problem and didn't want me having more than like 50 contacts .. he now knows the full amount :rolleyes:

No boyfriends til I'm in uni but they're fine about guys at my house etc etc..

Latest

Trending

Trending