The Student Room Group

I'm really scared and need advice!

Hi everyone,

So you're all probably going to think I'm being crazy, but I'd appreciate some advice. Being born on Halloween and all, I've always enjoyed Ghost Stories and Horror Films and tales of the Supernatural. The only downside to this is that SOMETIMES I can take it quite adversely. For example, I watched a film back in 2009 that scared me so much I can't quite handle mirrored medicine cabinets and probably never will haha!

My issue is that I read what - at the time I thought was real - horror story that scared me so much that it took my Mother 15 minutes to get me to go downstairs (all of the lights were off) to get a drink.

This will sometimes happen after I've watched/read a horror thing and last for a day or two. However this time it is different. I can only sleep in complete darkness but since the night after I accidentally read this story I haven't slept properly.

Please don't laugh at me...but I feel as though despite my room being dark, there's this one spot, the same every night, that is darker than the rest, about 4ft in height a little way from my bed and wardrobe. As soon as I switch my light off, I feel cold and a sense of utter paralyzing fear and fear that someone is seriously watching me takes hold of me. I physically cannot look in this spot, and I don't know why; maybe I'm terrified that if I look at it, it will manifest or something?

For the last five days I've felt this, paralyzing cold fear - genuine fear - that someone/something in that spot is watching me. I just can't look, can barely move and am on the verge of asthma/anxiety attack which is stopping me from sleeping well until at least 4 every night. It has been made worse today as it sounded as thought something had flown at my window (probably the wind) with a loud smack that made me jump, followed by what sounds like my Dad's knock at my bedroom door, very clearly, so much so I answered in that particular teenaged tone, asking what he wanted. No reply. No one was in the house, or the houses next door.

I am a very rational person, but I am really scared. I can't sleep with any lights on/sleeping mask or open my door. I just don't know what to do, I'm getting very little sleep and I am getting very scared even though I know it is stupid.

I swear to God that I am not a troll, and I am on the verge of hysteria just writing this.

Someone give me some advice please; how can I stop scaring myself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arthraxia
Hi everyone,

So you're all probably going to think I'm being crazy, but I'd appreciate some advice. Being born on Halloween and all, I've always enjoyed Ghost Stories and Horror Films and tales of the Supernatural. The only downside to this is that SOMETIMES I can take it quite adversely. For example, I watched a film back in 2009 that scared me so much I can't quite handle mirrored medicine cabinets and probably never will haha!

My issue is that I read what - at the time I thought was real - horror story that scared me so much that it took my Mother 15 minutes to get me to go downstairs (all of the lights were off) to get a drink.

This will sometimes happen after I've watched/read a horror thing and last for a day or two. However this time it is different. I can only sleep in complete darkness but since the night after I accidentally read this story I haven't slept properly.

Please don't laugh at me...but I feel as though despite my room being dark, there's this one spot, the same every night, that is darker than the rest, about 4ft in height a little way from my bed and wardrobe. As soon as I switch my light off, I feel cold and a sense of utter paralyzing fear and fear that someone is seriously watching me takes hold of me. I physically cannot look in this spot, and I don't know why; maybe I'm terrified that if I look at it, it will manifest or something?

For the last five days I've felt this, paralyzing cold fear - genuine fear - that someone/something in that spot is watching me. I just can't look, can barely move and am on the verge of asthma/anxiety attack which is stopping me from sleeping well until at least 4 every night. It has been made worse today as it sounded as thought something had flown at my window (probably the wind) with a loud smack that made me jump, followed by what sounds like my Dad's knock at my bedroom door, very clearly, so much so I answered in that particular teenaged tone, asking what he wanted. No reply. No one was in the house, or the houses next door.

I am a very rational person, but I am really scared. I can't sleep with any lights on/sleeping mask or open my door. I just don't know what to do, I'm getting very little sleep and I am getting very scared even though I know it is stupid.

I swear to God that I am not a troll, and I am on the verge of hysteria just writing this.

Well, the obvious answer to the first problem is don't watch scary movies and don't read scary books if you're not able to cope with them. You might enjoy them but you've really got to make a decision about what you hate more - not being able to watch scary films or living in fear.

If that corner is creeping you out, couldn't you put a light there? Just something to illuminate it slightly so you can see there isn't anything there? Not light enough so that your room is light (you could put a towel over a lamp or something) but just bright enough to make it less dark.
Reply 2
Original post by Arthraxia
Hi everyone,

I know exactly how you feel, I feel the same way some nights but I don't get this through watching scaring movies I get these by random nights, told my mum and aunties and they understood what I was talking about, I even randomly woke up one night at 3am and saw a short white boy staring at me beside my bed, there was also another time when I was half asleep but at the same time the window was banging hard due to strong winds, I heard my mum leave for work at 5am moment later BANG, felt impact on my side ribs like someone pounded it then saw a dark shadow figure run out my room, I was scared after and left my tv on, after that I went church. What's funny aswell I don't get scared about paranormal activities and horror films. We have also recorded orbs in our house which has faces in them.

You can believe in what I'm saying or think it's bull **** but it's something that you'll only understand if it's happened to you or to someone close to you.
Reply 3
Ghosts are real though. How else do you account for the figure standing behind you right now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending