This discussion is closed.
BazTheMoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does Cambridge have robes that you need to wear for matriculation, formal exams and such other occasions? I've never research the traditional aspects of the university, which is a bit stupid considering I'm going to be there in 6 months.

Also, similar to Oxford, do postgrads wear their own gowns from there previous university if they don't have a Cantab (or Oxon in our case)?
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You might be disappointed to hear that we don't have to wear gowns for exams.
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Not even at matriculation?

I know Oxford goes way over the top on formality, but I'm surprised by the lack of tradition at Cambridge.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You'll need a gown for matriculation. Not sure whether you can wear your Oxford one though?
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Actually I don't think you can wear your Oxford gown but will have to wear the Cambridge B.A. Status gown (which is the same as the Cambridge B.A. gown but without strings).
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
You'll need a gown for matriculation. Not sure whether you can wear your Oxford one though?
They don't look enough alike - you'll have to get a proper BA gown. They're about £50 second hand.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are the gowns only for post grads?
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi...ord_University
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
are the gowns only for post grads?
There are gowns for undergrads as well.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do we have to get one in the 1st week of going there?
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by d750)
They don't look enough alike - you'll have to get a proper BA gown. They're about £50 second hand.
I ask because at Oxford, any person who is a graduates of another university may wear the academic dress of their university on any formal university occasion. But I suppose I would look rather silly at Cambridge in full subfusc.

Are there different gowns for different occasions? Or just a standard one?
d750
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
I ask because at Oxford, any person who is a graduates of another university may wear the academic dress of their university on any formal university occasion. But I suppose I would look rather silly at Cambridge in full subfusc.

Just a standard one. Same as at Ox.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)

How often do we need to wear academic dress at Oxford? I'm joining the Dark Side in October!
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
How often do we need to wear academic dress at Oxford? I'm joining the Dark Side in October!
Full subfusc is just for matriculation and exams. Sometimes you just wear a gown over regular clothes (formal halls, other official-type-things etc...)
d750
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
Full subfusc is just for matriculation and exams. Sometimes you just wear a gown over regular clothes (formal halls, other official-type-things etc...)
Saw a few people in military uniform during finals. Chumps.
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by d750)
Saw a few people in military uniform during finals. Chumps.
If you're serving in the Armed Forces are allowed to wear your uniform together with a gown.

You need subfusc at graduation and Encaenia too.
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm this is in the cambridge board....so is it the same or different for cam?
d750
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A bit off topic, but I was quite amused by rows and rows of people staying in uniform during exams. It was absolutely sweltering, but only a few would take off their gowns or jackets or loosen their ties. Funny how institutionalised people can become.
d750
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
hmm this is in the cambridge board....so is it the same or different for cam?
Pretty much the same, but without sub fusc. Just a suit and gown.
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d750)
A bit off topic, but I was quite amused by rows and rows of people staying in uniform during exams. It was absolutely sweltering, but only a few would take off their gowns or jackets or loosen their ties. Funny how institutionalised people can become.
But is it true that subfusc only needs to be worn on entrance and exit from the building? So theoretically you could change into anything once you're inside?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (128)
46.55%
Take exams next summer (40)
14.55%
Change uni choice through clearing (68)
24.73%
Apply to uni next year instead (25)
9.09%
I'm not applying to university (14)
5.09%

Watched Threads