English literature A coursework A2 Watch

Sapphiresmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi so I was about to start looking at what texts I should be talking about in my coursework for love through the ages. One of the text has to be a set shakespeare text and the other two can be whatever I like. So I've choose selected poems by Sylvia Plath and The god of small things. I was wondering that for the selected poems by Sylvia Plath should I just find one poem and compare it to the other 2 texts or can I choose more than 2 to look at?
emma-lauren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did "love through the ages" last year and I also chose poetry as one of my texts. In my opinion you should definitely chose just one poem, as it allows you to provide in-depth analysis of the poem. Also remember you don't have that many words when you're exploring three texts, so doing just the one will make your essay far more focussed as you can't really afford to waste words.

Good luck with it!
Sapphiresmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma-lauren)
I did "love through the ages" last year and I also chose poetry as one of my texts. In my opinion you should definitely chose just one poem, as it allows you to provide in-depth analysis of the poem. Also remember you don't have that many words when you're exploring three texts, so doing just the one will make your essay far more focussed as you can't really afford to waste words.

Good luck with it!
Thank you I was considering one would be better as well because of what you've mentioned. Just curious about what you got in the coursework, and if you had any tips as they would be much appreciated!
emma-lauren
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sapphiresmith)
Thank you I was considering one would be better as well because of what you've mentioned. Just curious about what you got in the coursework, and if you had any tips as they would be much appreciated!
I remember dropping 3 marks, so 57/60 or 67/70, can't remember what it was out of. I'm doing English at uni so I was a little over ambitious with mine, and wished I hadn't, as I chose "Modern Love" by George Meredith (his collection of 50 sonnets which create a narrative, and he writes the sonnets with his Meredithian structure). I chose it as it makes reference to Othello about half way through and I found it an interesting piece. We were given Othello and Enduring Love as the other two texts and I chose to write about betrayal,or supposed betrayal, as it's a common theme.

Some basic tips:

• The question and choice of texts are definitely important. The text you choose should be something you like, or at least find interesting enough to thoroughly analyse it.
  • Don't choose a really abstract question, just keep it simple as it will be easier to keep your essay focussed.
  • Be concise, if you can say the same thing in less words then do so. When editing be really aware of this.
  • Every point you make back it up, give evidence of your argument. You can use critics opinions to do this (A. C. Bradley is good for Shakespeare's tragedies).
  • In your introduction include your thesis statement and milestones which mark out what you will be discussing or arguing.
  • Conclusion; don't put any new information in this, simply summarise your points, reiterate your argument and don't use the generic "in conclusion" or similar phrases.
  • Plan thoroughly so you have a nice structure. Ending one paragraph with a point that can lead you onto the next text (which you'll discuss in the next paragraph) creates a nice flow.

Hope this helps, sorry it's a bit long and good luck!
Sapphiresmith
Rep:
?
I remember dropping 3 marks, so 57/60 or 67/70, can't remember what it was out of. I'm doing English at uni so I was a little over ambitious with mine, and wished I hadn't, as I chose "Modern Love" by George Meredith (his collection of 50 sonnets which create a narrative, and he writes the sonnets with his Meredithian structure). I chose it as it makes reference to Othello about half way through and I found it an interesting piece. We were given Othello and Enduring Love as the other two texts and I chose to write about betrayal,or supposed betrayal, as it's a common theme.

Some basic tips:

• The question and choice of texts are definitely important. The text you choose should be something you like, or at least find interesting enough to thoroughly analyse it.
  • Don't choose a really abstract question, just keep it simple as it will be easier to keep your essay focussed.
  • Be concise, if you can say the same thing in less words then do so. When editing be really aware of this.
  • Every point you make back it up, give evidence of your argument. You can use critics opinions to do this (A. C. Bradley is good for Shakespeare's tragedies).
  • In your introduction include your thesis statement and milestones which mark out what you will be discussing or arguing.
  • Conclusion; don't put any new information in this, simply summarise your points, reiterate your argument and don't use the generic "in conclusion" or similar phrases.
  • Plan thoroughly so you have a nice structure. Ending one paragraph with a point that can lead you onto the next text (which you'll discuss in the next paragraph) creates a nice flow.

Hope this helps, sorry it's a bit long and good luck!
Thank you so much for the help!

Just one more quick question did you compare all 3 texts in every single paragraph because I wasn't sure if I should mention each text in each paragraph or if it was ok to only mention all 3 in a few paragraphs and in the rest have only 2 being compared.
emma-lauren
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much for the help!

Just one more quick question did you compare all 3 texts in every single paragraph because I wasn't sure if I should mention each text in each paragraph or if it was ok to only mention all 3 in a few paragraphs and in the rest have only 2 being compared.
I did a point within one text as one paragraph. I then ended this paragraph on something which I could link to one of the other texts, and then used that as springboard to the beginning of my next text and paragraph. This is just how I personally do it but I wouldn't do three in one paragraph as it will be a bit jumbled and unfocussed, in my opinion.
Sapphiresmith
Rep:
?
I did a point within one text as one paragraph. I then ended this paragraph on something which I could link to one of the other texts, and then used that as springboard to the beginning of my next text and paragraph. This is just how I personally do it but I wouldn't do three in one paragraph as it will be a bit jumbled and unfocussed, in my opinion.

Ok thank you so much!
emma-lauren
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok thank you so much!
no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed