The Student Room Group

people pointing out your flaws?

this is a random post but ive been thinking about it lately.

do you ever find that people will randomly point out flaws with your physical appearance?

i mean random things that you arent really in control of, such as say teeth imperfections (i have two small white spots on my front teeth, theyre not a big deal, but people still point it out and its kinda like and?)

its like if someone has a mole on their face, there are some people who just have to say things like "you have a mole". personally i dont do this to people, i dont really see the need to point out things that im sure people are aware is on their face/body. (im not saying moles are a flaw but you know what i mean).

why do you think people feel the need to do this?

is it just a weird power trip thing, putting people down by pointing out their flaws?

no one is perfect and i think sometimes the little things that make us different are better than everyone all looking the same.

i dont understand what people could gain from pointing stuff out to people though.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe some people just don't know that it an be seen as offensive and are just making an observation without intentionally hurting the person.
Or it can sometimes be a lame attempt at flirting in the hopes of some "banter" with the person...
Reply 2
Yeah my mum does it a lot. She will mention my teeth or a spot I have on my nose or something like that. It doesn't bother me though because I am content with my look and I know she isn't saying it to be malicious. It would hurt more when my gran used to do it because she is very obsessed with image and if I had one strand of hair out of place she would moan or if I was slightly bloated she would tell I should lose weight. She's stopped now but that was annoying when I was younger. Now I would probably laugh it off though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"You look shattered".

Thanks mate! :top:

(Happens quite frequently and sometimes from complete strangers).

Like you, I don't understand why people feel the need to do it and I don't do it myself.
Reply 4
My granny told me once that I needed to lose weight...um...
I've had teachers point out that I look tired. I was actually fine but I have natural dark circles so it just made me feel like they make me look really bad/tired
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
"You look shattered".

Like you, I don't understand why people feel the need to do it and I don't do it myself.

Patients on the wards say this to me all the time. It's usually followed up with them patting the bed beside them and telling me to sit down for a bit or help myself to some of their chocolates, so I can't complain :tongue:
Reply 7
I mean obviously people are going to point out your flaws to be mean but a lot of people just like to state what they see especially if it's different to what they are use too.
Oh yes. Particularly about my personality, I'm surprised I have any personality left after all the confidence knocks I constantly get :colonhash:
I'm too sensitive for my own good. :sigh:
Some 'friends' do this to me sometimes. I've got so used to it that it doesn't even offend me anymore :smile: It's actually worked to my advantage in that sense because I've developed a thicker skin. But yeah, it's not very pleasant when people are like that and I honestly think they do it to make themselves feel better. Sometimes my family point things out, but I can instinctively tell that they don't mean it in a malicious way, whereas with certain people they do mean it in that way. Some people should be careful what they say to others though, as it could be quite damaging to someone who has self esteem issues. My advice to anyone who is experiencing this is to be realistic and don't blow minor flaws out of proportion.
Original post by Chocolatesoup

do you ever find that people will randomly point out flaws with your physical appearance?

i mean random things that you arent really in control of, such as say teeth imperfections (i have two small white spots on my front teeth, theyre not a big deal, but people still point it out and its kinda like and?)

its like if someone has a mole on their face, there are some people who just have to say things like "you have a mole". personally i dont do this to people, i dont really see the need to point out things that im sure people are aware is on their face/body. (im not saying moles are a flaw but you know what i mean).

is it just a weird power trip thing, putting people down by pointing out their flaws?

no one is perfect and i think sometimes the little things that make us different are better than everyone all looking the same.

i dont understand what people could gain from pointing stuff out to people though.

Because there jealous of you

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's really annoying actually, especially if it's something you're insecure about. Girls in my school sometimes point out the fact that I have a big nose in a 'funny/playful' way. I don't need people pointing it out when I can CLEARLY see it.
Reply 12
A certain family member really annoys me with " oh your hairs getting long" implying I should go get it cut. Don't know why but it really pisses me off that they are trying to control me during my free time.
How do you become content with how u look?
Original post by Spock's Socks
Yeah my mum does it a lot. She will mention my teeth or a spot I have on my nose or something like that. It doesn't bother me though because I am content with my look and I know she isn't saying it to be malicious. It would hurt more when my gran used to do it because she is very obsessed with image and if I had one strand of hair out of place she would moan or if I was slightly bloated she would tell I should lose weight. She's stopped now but that was annoying when I was younger. Now I would probably laugh it off though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BOB2014
How do you become content with how u look?

I don't really know how I managed it. Part of me grew into that kind of thinking as I got older and I think part of me realised I did have some good aspects of my looks and focused on them instead of the flaws.
But u can change the white spot on teeth cant u

Original post by Democracy
"You look shattered".

yeah, i understand this, like guys saying to me "you look tired" its like well no **** sherlock, maybe i am tired, but i didnt really need it pointed it haha
Original post by Appazap
I mean obviously people are going to point out your flaws to be mean but a lot of people just like to state what they see especially if it's different to what they are use too.

but in my opinion, stating it out loud doesnt really achieve anything, for example i have a friend who has teeth which stick out quite obviously, ive never commented on it to her or anyone else, cos who cares, its just the way she looks. however oneday when she walked past a friend and i, my friend said 'she has really sticky out teeth' and i was just like 'aw shut up leave her alone' (he didnt say it to her, but to me).

i didnt really see the point in him saying it.

i mean, id never go to a physically disabled person "you cant walk", but yet people seem to say similarly offensive things to others without really realising it.
Original post by BOB2014
But u can change the white spot on teeth cant u

not sure if troll...

i probably could change it, but i choose not to, cos it doesnt stop me from eating or affects me in any negative way.. yeah it might make me self conscious if a person decided to point it out, but its not doing me any harm. so why should i change?
I rate you.

LOVE YOURSELF XOXO
not sure if troll...

i probably could change it, but i choose not to, cos it doesnt stop me from eating or affects me in any negative way.. yeah it might make me self conscious if a person decided to point it out, but its not doing me any harm. so why should i change?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending