Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I sent off my application for UCAS last week and well im abit concerned about whether my personal statement suits my application becuase i have 4 different courses. They are:

1. UCL -history
    2. Nottingam- history and politics
    3. Warwick - History and politics
    4. KCL - history and geography (don't even have geography but it is not compulsory)
    5. Durham - mixed arts and social sciences (in effect history, classic, politics, economics and geography)
    6. SOAS - history and politics

My personal statement is written so that history is the main component, however I also enjoy the study of the social sciences and wish to study them if possible at university, but it may seem a bit vague. Has anyone else applied to university with a few different courses?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, last year I applied for French and Spanish at Cambridge, French and Italian at UCL, French and Politics at Bristol, Warwick and Royal Holloway, and combined studies at Newcastle. I was a bit worried about this but just concentrated on writing about French, but saying that I was particularly interested in French politics. I didn't mention Spanish or Italian at all, but I still got an offer from UCL (I didn't at Cambridge, but I think this was mainly due to coming across as borderline special needs in the interview lol). I was most worried about combined studies, as French would only be one third of the course but I got an offer straight away of AAB from Newcastle. I'd say concentrate on History and you'll be fine (its more to do with grades than p.s anyway). Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Did you study Politics at A level
    yes i did and got an A. I already took my a levels and will be doin 3 resits to to go from AABB to getting AAAA hopefully, but i am worried that i will lose some motivation to get it though in the build up for the january resits.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say concentrate on History and you'll be fine
    sorry but do you mean single honours history, or concentrate on history on the PS?

ReputationRep:
    The PS is a hard art at best, but if you come across as a bit of a polymath they may like that. As they are all generally speaking humanities (although Geography crosses into the realms of science) at least you will only have one field to look at. See it as a challenge!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think you should be fine What grade did you get in History?
    i got a B (stupid edexcel) however nottingham, Durham and SOAS wants a B. My tutors are willing to say on my reference i am a high calibre a grade student however the marking by edexcel didn't do justice. However these are just words and im concerned that UCL and warwick won't really care. hOwever the other B in economics was done in 1 year so hopefully that will be taken account of.

ReputationRep:
    I meant concentrate on writing about history in your personal statement

ReputationRep:
    thanks dark fairy and xfx

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be too hard to write a decent personal statement because you're applying for history everywhere, so concentrate mainly on that and then just include a bit about why you like social sciences and try to link them to history. Already having AABB should work in your favour because those are still very good grades. The B in history lets you down (damn Edexcel!) but it's explained in your reference and you're resitting, plus they only ask for a B anyway, so you should be fine.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.