desah001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
To make visuals look 3D, which are the latest hardware involved?
Jabberjay_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends what you are referring to specifically, but the general hardware used to make games 'look 3d' is the cpu and gpu. However it is obviously a lot more complex than that.
Intel i5 User
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a gamer myself, and a computer expert, I can answer your question.

The Graphics Card is the most important. This can display the graphics on your screen. Without this, you won't be able to see anything on your screen. If you are a gamer, you'd best be getting a dedicated card, not one included in the CPU (these tend to be bad, as the graphics chip has to be small to fit in with the cpu, so graphics can't be made as good as the dedicated cards)

A good one that can play Ultra for not a lot of money is the AMD R9 270x/Nvidia GTX 760. I own a 280x, and this is an alright card, though a bit more expensive. But you get more FPS with my card

The more expensive the card, the better the framerate.

The next one is the CPU. Hence my username, i own an intel i5 4570. You have to have a capable CPU to sustain a beast graphics card. What i do is take the price of the graphics card, half it, and thats roughly about how much to spend on a cpu.
If you take a beast GPU and a weak CPU, you can have a bottleneck and performance is dropped dramatically, as the CPU can't handle the GPU's power. Vice versa as well.

HDD space is important too to hold all of your games and other stuff.

Suitable cooling is needed as well to make sure your components don't overheat.

A suitable motherboard as well may be fine. I own a rather cheap H81m-Plus and so far is quite good. You don't need the Z97s, e.t.c, but if you want crossfire/SLI (2 graphics card running simultaneously) then you have no choice other than the z series mobos.

A good PSU from a good brand is needed as well. As if you get a 400w PSU for components that need 700w, you're pretty much screwed. Corsair is the one to aim for.

Sorry for my lengthy post, but it is a big help. Many thanks!
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Intel i5 User)
As a gamer myself, and a computer expert, I can answer your question.

The Graphics Card is the most important. This can display the graphics on your screen. Without this, you won't be able to see anything on your screen. If you are a gamer, you'd best be getting a dedicated card, not one included in the CPU (these tend to be bad, as the graphics chip has to be small to fit in with the cpu, so graphics can't be made as good as the dedicated cards)

A good one that can play Ultra for not a lot of money is the AMD R9 270x/Nvidia GTX 760. I own a 280x, and this is an alright card, though a bit more expensive. But you get more FPS with my card

The more expensive the card, the better the framerate.

The next one is the CPU. Hence my username, i own an intel i5 4570. You have to have a capable CPU to sustain a beast graphics card. What i do is take the price of the graphics card, half it, and thats roughly about how much to spend on a cpu.
If you take a beast GPU and a weak CPU, you can have a bottleneck and performance is dropped dramatically, as the CPU can't handle the GPU's power. Vice versa as well.

HDD space is important too to hold all of your games and other stuff.

Suitable cooling is needed as well to make sure your components don't overheat.

A suitable motherboard as well may be fine. I own a rather cheap H81m-Plus and so far is quite good. You don't need the Z97s, e.t.c, but if you want crossfire/SLI (2 graphics card running simultaneously) then you have no choice other than the z series mobos.

A good PSU from a good brand is needed as well. As if you get a 400w PSU for components that need 700w, you're pretty much screwed. Corsair is the one to aim for.

Sorry for my lengthy post, but it is a big help. Many thanks!
I'd beg to differ on a few things you've said, but regardless, as things progress, CPU's are becoming the main bottleneck in gaming rigs, as the newer released games are relying more heavily on CPU usage rather than GPU. Personally I'd invest more highly in the CPU and get a decent GPU aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
boyski33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion, it's best to get a CPU and a graphics card of about the same price. I personally have a Xeon E3 1231 for about $320 and a R9 270x for about $260. Video cards are vital mostly in video games, while the processor is always important, and I don't know anybody who uses their PC solely for gaming, so I'd invest a bit more in the CPU. But since I play video games, I tend to get a video card from the same price range as the CPU. Plus, with the high-end video cards, very often you get only 10% better performance for almost twice as much money, which is not always justifiable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (100)
5.12%
Uncertainty around my education (292)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (206)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (273)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.68%
Loneliness (170)
8.7%
Financial worries (70)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.53%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (173)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed