Would you give marks for this question? Watch

Feraligatr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
AS Chemistry question here again

The question in the booklet sates "Explain using diagrams, the difference between the sigma and pie bonds in the carbon-carbon double bond of an alkene"

They expect a diagram and explanation for full marks

I've drawn a diagram representing the bonds similar to this diagram
Spoiler:
Show

However the mark scheme shows the bonds seperately though

My main issue though is the explanation, I'm not sure if I should give myself a mark or not.

I mentioned that "Pie bonds are weaker covalent bonds than sigma bonds as there is a poor overlap of p orbitals in the pie bond unlike the good overlap of s orbitals in the sigma bond"

The mark scheme is quite generic as it says "any written mention, or clear evidence from the diagram, of the resultant electron density between the two nuclei"

How many marks would you give for that answer?
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The main point to raise when talking about relative strengths of pi and sigma bonds is the exposure of the nuclei to each other. Consider a sigma bond, the electron density resides mostly in between the nuclei and around it. However, pi bonds have what is called a 'Nodal Plane' that is a region where the electron density due to the contribution of the pi electrons is zero. This is between the nuclei in pi bonding, hence the nuclei are relatively more 'exposed' to each other and so there is some mutual repulsion going on between the positively charged nuclei. I'm not quite sure what the mark scheme wants, but this is a rough outline on what the reasoning is.
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protoxylic)
The main point to raise when talking about relative strengths of pi and sigma bonds is the exposure of the nuclei to each other. Consider a sigma bond, the electron density resides mostly in between the nuclei and around it. However, pi bonds have what is called a 'Nodal Plane' that is a region where the electron density due to the contribution of the pi electrons is zero. This is between the nuclei in pi bonding, hence the nuclei are relatively more 'exposed' to each other and so there is some mutual repulsion going on between the positively charged nuclei. I'm not quite sure what the mark scheme wants, but this is a rough outline on what the reasoning is.
Aah I see

I'm guessing my answer's not correct then right?
Protoxylic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zhang-liao)
Aah I see

I'm guessing my answer's not correct then right?
It really depends on what your mark scheme is looking for. And also it depends on what exam board you are on as to what you are expected to know. It isn't incorrect what you have said, since there is a greater overlap for sigma in comparison to Pi.
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
It really depends on what your mark scheme is looking for. And also it depends on what exam board you are on as to what you are expected to know. It isn't incorrect what you have said, since there is a greater overlap for sigma in comparison to Pi.
Stupid mark scheme is so generic for this question

I'll ask one of my chemistry teachers tomorrow

I'm on Edexcel
Protoxylic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stupid mark scheme is so generic for this question

I'll ask one of my chemistry teachers tomorrow

I'm on Edexcel
Ah, I'm on AQA, this stuff is mentioned in our textbooks, but isn't examined in detail as far as I am aware.
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
Ah, I'm on AQA, this stuff is mentioned in our textbooks, but isn't examined in detail as far as I am aware.
Thanks for the help though

I've heard AQA is really difficult though, is that true?
Protoxylic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the help though

I've heard AQA is really difficult though, is that true?
I don't find it taxing. It's difficult to gauge what people mean by difficult, however, it could be the topics AQA cover or the way they set out the questions.
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
I don't find it taxing. It's difficult to gauge what people mean by difficult, however, it could be the topics AQA cover or the way they set out the questions.
Oh ok, someone told me in the sense they set out the questions in the exam paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?