Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whats the big hype about living out, is it as good as it sounds or is it like everything else that is hyped, and ends in a anti-climax. i dunno whether to live out at holloway or saty at home, and is it too late to bother now?

ReputationRep:
    I think living at home is ok if you live in a city with good facilities and near the university. I live 5 miles away from my university (at home) but live 4 miles away from the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj styles)
    whats the big hype about living out, is it as good as it sounds or is it like everything else that is hyped, and ends in a anti-climax. i dunno whether to live out at holloway or saty at home, and is it too late to bother now?
    If you have the opportunity to do so I reckon it'll probably be an enriching experience living with people of your age group; sharing ideas, mucking about, putting up with other's habits. A whole new experience to what you've maybe been used to and new experiences in general are what enriches life. Also, you gain in your independence, if you don't usually do much for yourself, and by living with others you get to know them better and possibly make lifelong companions. :|

live out jeez, *all* of my friends who stayed at home regretted it and all those who have to go back home for second year to avoid london costs are hating it.

you will *not* gain the same experience of student life or anywhere near the amount of independence and confidence that living out will give you if you choose to live at home.

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on the person, I am enjoying still living at home and I know that when I graduate I won't have stupid amounts of debts. Also if I lived out there is no way I would be able to afford to gigs, clubbing or have holidays abroad in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    i think living out would be really good as it gives people the chance to develop some degree of independence without being totally on their own. i can't imagine anything more fun than living with a group of people my own age and getting involved in uni life. i know friends who have stayed at home and feel sort of apart from the university and they haven't made many friends etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think living out is for Comp Sci students who wouldn't go out much anyway, (joke). Seriously, from my experience and the people I have spoke to since comming to Uni there is no doubt at all that you do miss out to some extent. If it's mssing out on meeting more people, bit of independence, social experiences blah blah, or simply last minute notices that have been made or things you would only know from speaking to people. That last point sounds a bit vauge, but a friend of mine who stays almost 1hr away from the Uni didn't know one of the lab times had been changed when he started the course and it only said it on the notice board so he missed his lab and lost quite a proportion of his grade. Personally I would reccomend living in Uni accomodation unless you are socially inept or if money is so tight that you just wouldn't be able to afford it.

S

ReputationRep:
    social ineptness could indeed be a problem. but blood, if you is henched like me then university, and living out is just one loooong gangbang....or something like that according to that thread about freshers week....

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what your home life is like. How your parents treat you etc.

My parents took years to get the idea that I was 'grown up'. I've lived away from home for about 20 years and it is only recently when I've said things like "when you were my age you had 2 children at high school" that she acknowledges that I don't have to phone her to say I've got home safely.

I think if you have the kind of parents who think uni is just school for 18+ and insist you do your 'home work', tell you what time you should be in bed and 'wait up' if you are out late then MOVE OUT ASAP.

If your parents treat you as an adult then it's different.

You can always do a bit of both, start of at home and move out when you meet some people you want to share with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

i think if you have the kind of parents who think uni is just school for 18+ and insist you do your 'home work', tell you what time you should be in bed and 'wait up' if you are out late then MOVE OUT ASAP.
    lol, thats exactly why i'm moving out!

that and the fact my uni is 250 miles from home

Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.