Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started my A-level year and after struggling with my AS's i think im going to quit whilst im ahead. I just dont feel like ive got any drive or ambition being there anymore. Ive started staying off to try and catch up with work but obviously thats a vicious cycle.

I was wondering what else there is that i can do? I dont want to sit around for the rest of my life. I know there are apprenticeships but what for? And other things. Any help would be appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    There are BTEC NDs alot of subjects do them, such as Art, Graphic Product, Health and Social Care, Childcare, Early Years, Lesuire and Tourism, ICT, Computing, Systems Operating, etc...

They are a two year course and can lead you to going to uni if you want to. I am sure there are loads of other subjects, but I just listed a few to give you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same position as u
    but except im just struggling with psychology...
    but i dont want to drop out of AS Levels

ReputationRep:
    An Open University degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    An Open University degree?
    You have to be 18. Plus I think the OP will be 16/17 so it can't really apply to them.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I could've sworn I'd heard a case of someone doing an OU degree straight after leaving school...

ReputationRep:
    ^Maybe they lied about their age?

I know that you have to be 18 because the place my dad works at were offering a course to the people who work there and I remember someone who was 17 wanted to do one of the cousres and they wouldn't let him saying he had to be 18.

Plus most unis don't let people who are under 18 attend so I don't think it would be very proffesional of the OU to let people in who are younger.

What type of career are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_poopsy_x)
    Ive just started my A-level year and after struggling with my AS's i think im going to quit whilst im ahead. I just dont feel like ive got any drive or ambition being there anymore. Ive started staying off to try and catch up with work but obviously thats a vicious cycle.

I was wondering what else there is that i can do? I dont want to sit around for the rest of my life. I know there are apprenticeships but what for? And other things. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Well, what are you doing right now? What do want to do with your life right now? It's a bit hard to give advice based on what you've said so far. Don't forget though, you can always continue studying later on if you decide it's not for you right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    What type of career are you interested in?
    I did want to be a midwife but im struggling so much with biology that im beginning to think i shouldn't go down that route. Plus its super competitive to even get a place on the course at uni.

(Original post by nikki)
    Well, what are you doing right now?
    Right now im part-time at mcdonalds, have been for past year and a half and to be honest i love it an can never imagine leaving. Theres room there for, promotion i guess youd call it, but im not too sure id like to do that for the rest of my life.

But then again one of the managers there works there part-time and shes in her 30's and does a college course so yep i could always go back to learning.

Im almost 18 (december) so the open university course is one of the many things i should look into

What A levels are you doing now? I vaguely remember a thread a year ago about someone who didn't like A levels and wanted to be a midwife and they carried on but dropped one of their subjects which may be an option for you? There was also someone else who was training to be a midwife with the OU, I had a look at my propectus but couldn't find anything so you would probably have to contact them this way you would still be able to work.

According to this site:
    http://www.rcm.org.uk/career/pages/i...php?id=3#entry
    You could just do a diploma if you have the GCSEs

There is also Btecs and things in Health and Social care etc so check your local college prospectuses. You would have to wait until September to start again so you could at least try and continue the year and you may do better and then you have at least ASs to go along with whatever you decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyones help. I spoke to my form tutor today and she's trying to get my biology dropped for me, leaving me to do 2 A-Levels (geography and Health and Social Care) and shes made me a connexions appointment too. I got my progress report today too and im literally failing biology, predicted a U!

Why dont you drop Geography so you can concentrate more on Biology? TSR has a very good academic sub forum for Biology with members from top unis that would be able to help you and Biology would be more useful for a midwifing course. Once you get your head around something it will appear to be a lot more easier.

ReputationRep:
    Because at various points ive thought ive understood something but then answered a question and it turns out i dont understand it at all. That was basically my 1st year.

The only lesson i enjoy learning about is geography and thats the subject i think i might end up doing best in so i really dont want to drop that

Ok

How did your Connexions interview go? If you have had it.

Also if your school offers double Health and Social care couldnt you do that?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.