The Student Room Group

Any chance I have of studying Medicine with Schizophrenia?

Is it possible for someone with schizophrenia to practise as a doctor? It has been my dream since I was growing up. I feel jealous of those who are studying medicine as I know a few people from school who are now at university studying medicine. I was on par with the students at school, so why can’t I go to university like them?
Reply 1
Talk to your psychiatrist, (s)he will outline the requirements. There's usually a stability period required.

Of course you can go to University! Make sure you register with their Disability Support once you arrive in case you have any need for mitigating circumstances relating to your situation.
I once read a really interesting article in the BMJ by a doctor who has experienced psychosis and who has needed to be hospitalised a few times during her career. I've just tried to find it again with no luck. I'll have another look later. It was a very good article. But rest assured that you wouldn't be the only doctor with mental health difficulties - doctors get ill just like everyone else, whether the illness is mental or physical, so a diagnosis of schizophrenia on its own isn't enough to rule you out. It will be more about whether you're able to cope with the demands of medical training, and of course that varies from person to person. Some people who have never had a mental health problem wouldn't be able to manage it, and some people who do have such problems manage it every day. It certainly wouldn't hurt to start looking for some relevant volunteering/work experience and to get your psychiatrist's advice, as someone else has already suggested. Take it one step at a time.
I disagree. Paranoid schizophrenia may well prevent you from being a doctor. It is very commonly lifelong condition. It will be picked up on occupational health forms. You will have to be stable and have documentation from your psychiatrist who may disagree with you. It would be very difficult.

As for you iceman be very careful in adolescents in overdose. Deliberate self harm is not as serious but overdose is very serious. You should never discharge. You must refer to psychiatry team who will not discharge them. They need to be seen by camhs.
This thread has got somewhat off topic. Please keep it relevant to OP :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending