Worried about AS level biology and chemistry!! Watch

Hunnybeebee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm on OCR for biology and OCR A for chemistry, at the moment chemistry I got a B in my chemistry mock but unit 2 is going dreadful! And I put in a lot of time for biology but the exam questions I can't get my head around and scoring D/E's, any advice especially for biology as a whole and unit 2 chemistry?

thank you in advance
Dinaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do past papers. Look at the Mark scheme. See what is relevant and what is not.
Don't waffle. Get straight to the points, get the marks.

But first, in your text book, there should be exam styled questions/practice questions. Answer these.
Then Mark harshly, and highlight your mistakes. Take notes.

When you're learning, take notes, then at the end, write a paragraph of what you've learnt. Processes etc, just to help your understanding.

For chemistry, I'd say practice makes perfect. Past papers and make sure you fully understand everything. Start making revision notes now, flash cards. You don't want to start Unit and slowly forget Unit 1.

EDIT: If the mark scheme doesn't explain things well, and let's say you got 5/6 marks on a Question, make sure you go and ask your teacher, why you didn't get 6/6. I'm not sure about OCR, but I think they are quite specific, so it should be fine.

Also, revise everyday for a few hours, find an adept way to learn, and it'll be okay.
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dinaa)
Do past papers. Look at the Mark scheme. See what is relevant and what is not.
Don't waffle. Get straight to the points, get the marks.

But first, in your text book, there should be exam styled questions/practice questions. Answer these.
Then Mark harshly, and highlight your mistakes. Take notes.

When you're learning, take notes, then at the end, write a paragraph of what you've learnt. Processes etc, just to help your understanding.

For chemistry, I'd say practice makes perfect. Past papers and make sure you fully understand everything. Start making revision notes now, flash cards. You don't want to start Unit and slowly forget Unit 1.

EDIT: If the mark scheme doesn't explain things well, and let's say you got 5/6 marks on a Question, make sure you go and ask your teacher, why you didn't get 6/6. I'm not sure about OCR, but I think they are quite specific, so it should be fine.

Also, revise everyday for a few hours, find an adept way to learn, and it'll be okay.
Thank you! I guess it's trying to move my knowledge into answers which is really difficult! Should probably start bringing past papers in now, how did these a levels go for you in the end?
Dinaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KeilahDeere)
Thank you! I guess it's trying to move my knowledge into answers which is really difficult! Should probably start bringing past papers in now, how did these a levels go for you in the end?
I'm in year 12 too, and I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.

This method of learning has help me out with assessments and Mocks that I have had. Also, check the A-A* students- Revision tips thread. Many people suggest Past papers. Indeed, it is very difficult, but soon you'll be familiar with the content and be able to apply your knowledge well.

When answering a question, if your brain freezes, when ascertaining a Question, maybe perhaps highlight keywords.
Make sure you understand command words, this way you're less likely to waffle, but get straight to the point.

And yes, don't wait and procrastinate. Chemistry and Biology aren't soft subjects, so they shouldn't be taken softly.
Make sure your folders are organised and on point. You don't want to look at a messy folder. It puts me off instantly, but that's just me haha, and I end up procrastinating. Make a time table. See what suits you best. Are you a morning learner or a night learner? Set yourself rewards.
Just work hard and you'll end up with amazing results.

No worries, I hope I helped
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dinaa)
I'm in year 12 too, and I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.

This method of learning has help me out with assessments and Mocks that I have had. Also, check the A-A* students- Revision tips thread. Many people suggest Past papers. Indeed, it is very difficult, but soon you'll be familiar with the content and be able to apply your knowledge well.

When answering a question, if your brain freezes, when ascertaining a Question, maybe perhaps highlight keywords.
Make sure you understand command words, this way you're less likely to waffle, but get straight to the point.

And yes, don't wait and procrastinate. Chemistry and Biology aren't soft subjects, so they shouldn't be taken softly.
Make sure your folders are organised and on point. You don't want to look at a messy folder. It puts me off instantly, but that's just me haha, and I end up procrastinating. Make a time table. See what suits you best. Are you a morning learner or a night learner? Set yourself rewards.
Just work hard and you'll end up with amazing results.

No worries, I hope I helped
Yeah it's just hard to do past papers when you haven't learnt the content in class either. I'll have a read of the thread soon! What exam boards are you on for bio and chem? I'm more of a night learner, pretty sure I boot in energy at night hahah!
xoflower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its not hard to do past papers if you have not learnt it all, just do the questions you have learnt.

Chemistry OCR A they literally repeat the questions. I did all the papers from 2001 and went from a U to an A in my school tests
Dinaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah it's just hard to do past papers when you haven't learnt the content in class either. I'll have a read of the thread soon! What exam boards are you on for bio and chem? I'm more of a night learner, pretty sure I boot in energy at night hahah!
Well, learn before you complete them. Go through text books, there are websites you can go on to help you. Ask your teacher questions. It's better if you understand what is taught to you, but don't rely on your teachers. I have given up with my teachers, and I'm ahead of the class. Then, when you self teach and come across something that confuses you, go and ask your teacher. Make sure you understand. Don't be shy. Also, you can still do past papers. Past papers, show your weakest topics; what you have to work on. If you get questions wrong, it's OK, still early of course. Just learn from mistakes. I'm on Edexcel
Aminoor123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xoflower)
Its not hard to do past papers if you have not learnt it all, just do the questions you have learnt.

Chemistry OCR A they literally repeat the questions. I did all the papers from 2001 and went from a U to an A in my school tests
Wow I just wish I could do that! I'm on U's at the moment in Chemistry, and I revise quite a lot, doing past papers and notes. I still get low grades. I came from a double science background, into A level chem as I really wanted a career in science, but since going into sixth form, I feel like giving it up. I just know what to do when I see the text book, but in tests I just fail it. I have 2 weeks untill my real as mocks in January. Anything else I could do?
Thanks!
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I recommend you to put more effort into Unit 2 Chemistry, I got As and A*s at GCSE yet ended up getting a C in AS chemistry due to not prioritising unit 2, I was able to get an A in unit 1 as it is far, far easier in comparison to unit 2.
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
I recommend you to put more effort into Unit 2 Chemistry, I got As and A*s at GCSE yet ended up getting a C in AS chemistry due to not prioritising unit 2, I was able to get an A in unit 1 as it is far, far easier in comparison to unit 2.
I've completed 2.1 so far but beyond that it starts becoming confusing! Also worried about coursework but I guess you can't really practice it. I guess unit 2 will have to start becoming more of a priority now :O
Dinasaurus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've completed 2.1 so far but beyond that it starts becoming confusing! Also worried about coursework but I guess you can't really practice it. I guess unit 2 will have to start becoming more of a priority now :O
You can definitely get a feel for the coursework, last year in AS I was pretty awful at practicals, this year I've just done my first round of Biology practicals and I got 10/10 in the quantitative already. You can't really revise for them but you get used to their structure.
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
You can definitely get a feel for the coursework, last year in AS I was pretty awful at practicals, this year I've just done my first round of Biology practicals and I got 10/10 in the quantitative already. You can't really revise for them but you get used to their structure.
maybe the practical life isn't for me hahah! and well done! still waiting for my results of them to come through though so hopefully it's all gone well. how did AS bio go for you and any tips?
Dinasaurus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
maybe the practical life isn't for me hahah! and well done! still waiting for my results of them to come through though so hopefully it's all gone well. how did AS bio go for you and any tips?
I'm an all round let down at AS, only got a C in Biology, but I'm trying to do far better this year and also retaking unit 2. I find Biology has the easiest content to learn compared to lets say Chemistry or Maths but the amount of content is so high which kind of balances it out.
Famokhan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Persevere bro the only way you're going to smash these a levels.
BCMFM16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The coursework is dread full I got 37/50 which was a D ( it was a practice). My teacher says its high because some schools tell their students the answers
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
I'm an all round let down at AS, only got a C in Biology, but I'm trying to do far better this year and also retaking unit 2. I find Biology has the easiest content to learn compared to lets say Chemistry or Maths but the amount of content is so high which kind of balances it out.
sorry for the late reply! mocks are coming up and stressing! haven't even started unit 2 D: yes there's so much to remember and little is tested in the exam
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Famokhan)
Persevere bro the only way you're going to smash these a levels.
your motivation has enlightened me, I shall not let you down

(depending on the grade boundaries lol)

(sorry for the late reply too)
Hunnybeebee
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCMFM16)
The coursework is dread full I got 37/50 which was a D ( it was a practice). My teacher says its high because some schools tell their students the answers
I'm getting my results when I get back have no faith in some of them though, went awful! how annoying! I must admit I've heard that rumour to be true to surrounding sixth forms, such a shame!
tcameron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing OCR bio and chem aswell. I haven't done a mock for chem yet but in past papers I usually get A/B but some past papers are really easy with others very difficult so it's hard to predict what it'll be like this year.
Haven't done a mock in bio as the school is teaching Unit 1 and 2 together so can only do a full mock at the end of the year. I'm doing better in biology than chemistry though this wasn't the case at GCSE, chemistry was my strongest subject.
Unit 2 Chemistry is quite dreadful but many websites can help, e.g. chemnotes.org
SubwayLover1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im doing AQA chem and we have only just started unit 2!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (79)
36.57%
I really love the subject (57)
26.39%
I don't know what else to do (28)
12.96%
I can't get a job (15)
6.94%
My parents want me to (5)
2.31%