This discussion is closed.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
Of course they can "fine" you :confused:
I was under the impression private companies can only charge you, not fine. Fines can only be issued by a public authority or through court orders.

It's why 99% of private parking fines are not worth the paper they're printed on. They can only charge for actual losses which would have been incurred.. not as a fine.
Pseudocode
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Worst that will happen is a fine. Most likely to happen is just a warning. Even if you do get issued a fine they'd have to go to court to enforce it and most people wont bother. There are a few companies that will drag you to court just for the sake of proving a point. There's a few notorious for it when it comes for car parking in private car parks that will take you to court no problem.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
I was under the impression private companies can only charge you, not fine. Fines can only be issued by a public authority or through court orders.

It's why 99% of private parking fines are not worth the paper they're printed on. They can only charge for actual losses which would have been incurred.. not as a fine.
It depends if it's in the contract for the tenancy or not; if it is then it's been agreed to previously and is enforceable. They would have to take them to court to enforce it if they didn't pay but they wouldn't have to prove their losses.
Pseudocode
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)

They can charge the cost to you. They have to get it enforced through courts to get you to pay up. Normally, you'll get a few letters threatening you to pay and they'll let it drop. Some however, especially those in regard to car parking, will take you to court now to prove a point. Had a few mates who've got off for years and one or two others who've been dragged to courts for fines they picked up whilst going to watch the football.

The only time I'll ever give a damn is if its council or police issued tbh. I actually had a letter saying I owed money for parking at the football before and 7 letters, one of which had threatening language in it, so I threatened to counter claim them if they pursued it further. Funnily enough, they dropped the case. The people who do this are scummy vultures just like those that chase you up for TV license payments.

If OP needs any advice just jump on pepipoo as they're clued up on there and you'll get great advice.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, it's worth mentioning it's a criminal offence to tamper with fire detection equipment without consent of the building managment.
marymint68
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Say you were burning joss sticks. Say you always burn them whilst making love, and get through a box of 10 a day 😇 👍 good luck
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marymint68)
Say you were burning joss sticks. Say you always burn them whilst making love, and get through a box of 10 a day 😇 👍 good luck
I don't think luck will help them since this opost is from 2014. The OP has likely be arrested already and put in jail for 20 years
Lost Sock
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I like to eat smoke alarms.

And cheese.
Adamcookefc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey man how did it go with the smoke alarm I used a condom to cover mine now I can fry all the bacon I want!! How fantastic
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads