SamMac1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, I submitted my UCAS for early entry and have heard nothing, just wondering how many people are in the same boat?
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
BrinkaY1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!
I applied Oct 2014. I received acknowledgement but nothing else As I already have my A-Levels (A*A*A*AA), at application was told there will be no interview.
Status is still "Considering your application"...
azulu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I applied for MSci Physics a few days ago, but haven't received any answers yet. Tbh, I'm not expecting get one in the nearest future, because, as they say, they have 1.600 applicants per year and that's pretty big effort, especially with such competitiveness they need a lot of time.

Maybe share with your predicted grades and where have you applied else?

I'm from a non-UK, but EU IB, so 766 in HL (Physics, English B and Maths respectively) and 765 in SL, with a total of 40.

I've also applied to St Andrews, Bath, Exeter and Surrey, for Astrophysics, Physics with Astrophysics or similar.
SamMac1
Rep:
?
I'm not worried tbh, they only interview a handful of people in December i was just wandering exactly how many. I reckon we'll hear back pretty soon as interviews are February/March. I got A in Maths (299/300 UMS) A in Further maths(granted I did D1 and D2 and got 257/300 UMS) A in Physics( 272/300 UMS) and a B in economics(only 1 mark in the grade boundry........) I am predicted 3A*'s becasue of the weird way you get an A* in F.maths, you need to average 90 UMS in 3 modules with a 2 or higher in the name. I also applied to Birmingham, Surrey, Southampton and Oxford and have heard back from all of them.
Tartanman1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So glad someone else is in this boat with me! I applied for early application and haven't received an interview or offer yet (just constant updates about the university and their acknowledgement and everything). I'm applying for a masters in physics with theoretical physics.
I've already heard back from Cambridge (rejection), Bristol (accepted) and Durham (accepted).
In terms of score...I'm in the IB, and the "prediction" I applied with was 7766 at HL, overall prediction of 43 points. I say "prediction" - it's just my grade 11 grades. My four HLs are Maths, English Language and Literature, Physics and Chemistry.
SamMac1
Rep:
?
I don't know IB's but i guess they are high? I got rejected from Oxford so imperial is my next best choice considering it's reputation n'all.
Tartanman1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yea, they're high. : ) The max score for an individual subject is 7; the max score overall is 45 (six subjects, plus you do two essays which can earn you three points). Oxbridge reject club!
Really hoping for Imperial too; reputation and location are major plusses, and my girlfriend's applying to UCL and stands a good chance of getting in. Waiting for their decision is really intense though.
SamMac1
Rep:
?
That's good, i'm sure you'll get an interview. It might sound like i'm saying this just because i was rejected but Oxbridge is overrated. Plenty of unis are just as good as Oxbridge( in some subjects but not overall) now and i reckon the Oxbridge reputation will be less after our degrees anyway.
Tartanman1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Totally agree with you about Oxbridge. I think it's reputation will massively slide. I also find it interesting that imperial, at least for physics, far outscores Oxbridge on employment rate. Quite a few other unis do too; I know that for medicine, Cambridge only comes at number 7 for employability, and Oxford's further down.
I'm sure both of us will be fine. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if we ended up in the same interview group? : )
SamMac1
Rep:
?
If i get one i'll post it on here when, It's cool as we also get shown around the campus before interview if we want.
azulu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SamMac1)
[...] It might sound like i'm saying this just because i was rejected but Oxbridge is overrated. Plenty of unis are just as good as Oxbridge( in some subjects but not overall) now and i reckon the Oxbridge reputation will be less after our degrees anyway.
I'm not a UK student, so I didn't really base my choices on the reputation of universities, but according to a variety of rankings etc. for physics in the UK and generally in the world Imperial and e.g. St Andrews (which are my 2 top choices) are much more valued schools than Cambridge (I didn't even consider Oxford, as it was way lower in physics than most of the unis that I was considering).

There's also this case, where when you take like 10% of best applicants, best students from all over the world, I guess it's not that hard to make them valuable for employers Having Cambridge on your resume/CV is opening lots of doors for you, just with the name, so there's another question: how fictional is the reputation of Cambridge? Is it really a #1 university in the UK because it's got the best teaching or is it just reputation for reputation? In my opinion it's a little of both, as best universities get best funding and best teachers want to teach there etc. etc..., but that's just my opinion
SamMac1
Rep:
?
Just checked my e-mails tonight, got an interview offer for next week on the 27th!! I nearly missed it as the name on the e-mail was the name of the admissions tutor and not 'Imperial College London Interview' for example, so be sure to look out for that.
I think Oxford is better in humanities than Sciences and vice versa for Cambridge but it is like comparing two pieces of chocolate, at the end of the day they're both delicious. The style of teaching at Oxbridge sets it apart from other unis TBH. They have short jam-packed terms where at other unis they're longer. All Oxbridge level unis have the same teaching style as Oxbridge, so Durham, Imperial, Manchester i believe are pretty similar and will soon have just as high a reputation as Oxbridge.
Tartanman1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Congrats mate! : D Still don't have a response either way. Fingers crossed!
They're more intensive, with a generally more open way of doing things, from what I've heard (less like school).
JoeMartin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People who feel my pain! Applied on the 10th of October and have heard nothing really so far. People around me have recieved and already done their interviews so I was abit worried. I had a request for UMS though, did anyone else have that? (Achieved an A* in Maths a year early and got full UMS on both Physics exams so I hope that works in my favor)
SamMac1
Rep:
?
Full UMS on physics, i think you might be borderline....... What exam board did you do?
TheEsther_Bunny
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm still waiting too :/
Applied 4th Oct, interview 30th Oct, still waiting 3 months later

I applied for Physics with a year in Europe, anyone else?

Doing A Level maths, further maths, physics and English lit, my UMS stats at AS were pretty decent so I'm just worried maybe the interview was much more terrible than I though :')
SamMac1
Rep:
?
I'm sure you did fine, as imperial get so many applicants, they need to spread out the whole process over two interview periods, October-December and then January-March. Also considering the fact that EVERYONE applying to imperial is very clever, including the later entries, i bet they make 99% of their offers after March.
JoeMartin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SamMac1)
Full UMS on physics, i think you might be borderline....... What exam board did you do?
Aha well the silence from Imperial was causing me doubts OCR - lost marks on the practical skills unit thing though
Tartanman1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got my invitation today : ) interview's on February 20th : D
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (66)
27.5%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.83%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
21.25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (23)
9.58%
No - I live at home during term anyway (74)
30.83%

Watched Threads