bone marrow transplant

Watch
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Has anyone here if donated bone marrow or received a bone marrow transplant?
Tolly Mune
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Guy Secretan)
Has anyone here if donated bone marrow or received a bone marrow transplant?

A friend of mine did it recently and he said it was suprisingly quick. Apparently they inject a large needle into your hip or femur bone and extract the marrow from there.

I would donate if it wasn't for my religion. I can't donate blood even.
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolly Mune)
A friend of mine did it recently and he said it was suprisingly quick. Apparently they inject a large needle into your hip or femur bone and extract the marrow from there.

I would donate if it wasn't for my religion. I can't donate blood even.
Hi did he sign up to the Nolan bone marrow register? Did he get to meet the recipient but I presume they were anonymous. Are you a jehova's witness?
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Saw it on season1 House today it's quick.
Tolly Mune
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi did he sign up to the Nolan bone marrow register? Did he get to meet the recipient but I presume they were anonymous. Are you a jehova's witness?
No I'm not of those crazies. I'd rather not say.

No idea what the logistics are or the nolan register even is. However I'm certain it was anonymous like you don't see who gets your blood once u visit a blood bank.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tolly Mune)
It's quite rare that they take bone marrow in that manner these days, 80% of donations are taken from peripheral blood these days, similar to when you donate blood.

You don't get to meet the recipient straight away, but if both parties consent to it you are allowed to after a few years I believe. Letters and cards do get exchanged via Anthony Nolan between recipients and donors.
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
It's quite rare that they take bone marrow in that manner these days, 80% of donations are taken from peripheral blood these days, similar to when you donate blood.

You don't get to meet the recipient straight away, but if both parties consent to it you are allowed to after a few years I believe. Letters and cards do get exchanged via Anthony Nolan between recipients and donors.
Are you on the Anthony Nolan register then?
Tolly Mune
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by moonkatt)

Not everyone can donate that way especially since you need to be taking that factor thing a few days before. I'm not sure. But I'm certain that he had some bone marrow extracted via his hip
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you on the Anthony Nolan register then?
I am yes. I used to volunteer for them as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads