Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In what ways can you prepare for this test? I know that you can't revise for it like you can for A-level but stuff like prime numbers and shapes usually come up fairly often, am I right? What books or websites are useful for these kind of tests?

Also, the scoring system is kind of strange, can someone provide any (mathematical) analysis on this? Also, does anyone know where you can find past papers and solutions to these? I only have the ones from the site with 'mathmo' username.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to prepare for the Maths Challenge. You can practice to get into the right frame of mind but it doesnt really help. I got past papers from my school teacher a few years ago but theyre at home (Im at Uni at the moment) so I cant post them for you. There are books but I dont know how good they are really.

I have 'The Mathematical Olympiad Handbook' by Gardiner which is a useful book which I bought for when I did the BMO, but I wouldnt have thought it would be of much use for the Maths Challenge.

As for the scoring, if I remember right the top 2.5% or so get a gold. It depends on the difficulty of the paper. If the paper is hard then the boundaries will be lower. However, I think the boundary for automatic entrace to the BMO Round 1 depends on how difficult they feel the BMO is going to be this year.

ReputationRep:
    be amazing at maths

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember the boundaries for Gold and BMO for previous years? Obviously the values will change, but it would be useful nonetheless. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    no. just get them all right.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, nice advice. Given enough time I can usually solve the more difficult ones, but not with a 1h30 time limit.

ReputationRep:
    The last time I did it you needed 81 for Gold, 92 (I think) for entrance for BMO. Although the year before it was something like 87 for gold, 89 for BMO.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, such a small difference between gold and BMO? It sounds quite encouraging from the 2001 paper I just did, but I have a tendency to fall to pieces when I actually go into the exam room. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I entered for this last week, I was looking at some past papers and stuff but are there any more papers to practise on or guides?

ReputationRep:
    You can order a booklet from the website.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks fellow goat-wucker :p: (Wrong place - heh!)

Good luck in the thing Dystopia, maybe you will make it to the BMO!

ReputationRep:
    Also, the scoring system is kind of strange, can someone provide any (mathematical) analysis on this?
    Score = (Correct Answers * 4) - (Incorrect Answers * 1) + 25.
    Since it is multiple choice with 5 options, randomly guessing will leave you with 4 incorrect per correct. Therefore this system makes guessing an answer randomly have the same success rate as leaving an answer. The plus 25 is to stop anyone getting a negative score.

I guess I will be doing the SMC as well.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any good websites to practice for BMO? I am pretty bad at it.

ReputationRep:
    Afraid not! I'm just looking at the past paper from last year: http://www.wpr3.co.uk/UKMT/smc.html

Question 9 is quiet intriguing so far! :p:

I think the answer for that one would be E 1005 but this is just an arrow in the dark. No idea, anyone care to shine some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    = 1/2005! (3)(4)(5)...(2005)(2006) = 2006/2 = 1003

(Original post by Speleo)
    Are there any good websites to practice for BMO? I am pretty bad at it.
    This has all the papers from 1993 to 2003.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. They all look so intimidating >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    = 1/2005! (3)(4)(5)...(2005)(2006) = 2006/2 = 1003
    :s:

Spoiler:
    Show

Ehh? Was that factorials? Didn't understand the (3)(4)(5), as a matter of fact, have you just eliminated all of the 1's and then taken just added it on to 2005 to get 2006/2 = 1003.

Do you have a basic laymen's explanation Pwease.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Multiply each bracket by the denominator of the fraction. The product of these numbers will be 2005! so you must multiply by 1/2005! outside the bracket. Then simplify.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.