This discussion is closed.
diana99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have applied to lots of grammar school and one IB school. At first I didn't think that it was necessary to do an Ib. But after going to the open evening I found it interesting.

what are the pros and cons of an IB and a levels ?

Would it be pointless studying extra subjects?

Which one is more beneficial for my career choice and why?

I don't want to make a big mistake.

Thank you :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
diana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyler Bam)
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
Thank you haha :yy::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There have been several previous threads similar to this, so it might be useful for you to look at them. You can get into medicine with either IB or A-levels, it's very much a personal choice as to which suits your preferences and strengths better. Here are some examples of issues for you to consider:
1) IB only allows you to take two sciences to higher level (as far as I am aware)
2) There are certain compulsory subjects
3) The workload is high, which may leave less time for work experience

It might help you to have a look here for medicine IB requirements, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...B_Requirements
which show that you need to get certain scores at 3 higher level subjects (usually 666) and a minimum total score.

A-levels are more flexible in your choice of subjects, but less broad in the sense that you don't do as many subjects and you don't do the 'core' subjects of IB (theory of knowledge, extended essay etc.).
IB seems to be good for all-rounders, and those who like high pressure. If you mainly like/are good at science then A-levels are the better choice, have a look at the subject blocks offered by the grammar schools as this can limit your A-level subject choices.

All of this, of course, depends on personal preference and time management skills. Some people seem to find it hard to achieve the grades required for medicine in the IB, although of course this can be true of A-levels as well.
diana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
There have been several previous threads similar to this, so it might be useful for you to look at them. You can get into medicine with either IB or A-levels, it's very much a personal choice as to which suits your preferences and strengths better. Here are some examples of issues for you to consider:
1) IB only allows you to take two sciences to higher level (as far as I am aware)
2) There are certain compulsory subjects
3) The workload is high, which may leave less time for work experience

It might help you to have a look here for medicine IB requirements, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...B_Requirements
which show that you need to get certain scores at 3 higher level subjects (usually 666) and a minimum total score.

A-levels are more flexible in your choice of subjects, but less broad in the sense that you don't do as many subjects and you don't do the 'core' subjects of IB (theory of knowledge, extended essay etc.).
IB seems to be good for all-rounders, and those who like high pressure. If you mainly like/are good at science then A-levels are the better choice, have a look at the subject blocks offered by the grammar schools as this can limit your A-level subject choices.

All of this, of course, depends on personal preference and time management skills. Some people seem to find it hard to achieve the grades required for medicine in the IB, although of course this can be true of A-levels as well.
Thanks so much!!:yep::yep:
But in your opinion which would u choose flip you were to study medicine and why? :mmm::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
diana99
Rep:
?
*if you were to study medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently studying medicine, I chose to do A-levels because I preferred the flexibility.
orangeee22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At my school we had a medicine admission tutor (I think from Barts?) come in and talk to us. She recommended A levels over an ib because she claimed universities don't know the ib well enough so set very high requirements for the courses.
Not sure how true this is but she seemed to know what she was talking about so I hope it helps!
diana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by orangeee22)
At my school we had a medicine admission tutor (I think from Barts?) come in and talk to us. She recommended A levels over an ib because she claimed universities don't know the ib well enough so set very high requirements for the courses.
Not sure how true this is but she seemed to know what she was talking about so I hope it helps!
(Original post by theresheglows)
I am currently studying medicine, I chose to do A-levels because I preferred the flexibility.
Okay thanks guys I'm highly considering doing a levels now :yep::yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads