Tablet Help

Watch this thread
angliastudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm planning on buying a new tablet in January and was looking for any good suggestions, it needs to have the following

1. Minimum of 8 inches
2. Android operating system (not a fan of Windows tablets or iOS)
3. Good speakers and screen (at least 720p)
4. Under £300
5. Not too heavy/chunky
6. Expandable memory

I will mostly be using it for watching movies/Youtube, listening to music and the occasional PowerPoint

So far I am considering the Nvidia Shield Tablet or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by angliastudent)
I'm planning on buying a new tablet in January and was looking for any good suggestions, it needs to have the following

1. Minimum of 8 inches
4. Under £300
5. Not too heavy/chunky
6. Expandable memory

I will mostly be using it for watching movies/Youtube, listening to music and the occasional PowerPoint

So far I am considering the Nvidia Shield Tablet or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

The Galaxy Tab S models are the best Android tablets for the majority of people. Gorgeous high res super AMOLED displays, lightweight, powerful internals, all good stuff. The Shield wins when it comes to speakers and the K1 chip is beefy, but if you don't plan on making use of the extra gaming features nvidia incorporated then it's probably better to go for the 8.4. The Shield is also on the chunkier side of tablets, it's about 50% thicker and 25% heavier than the Tab. Unless having pure Android and a stylus are particular importance to you.
Compact
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1. Minimum of 8 inches
4. Under £300
5. Not too heavy/chunky
6. Expandable memory

I have the tab s 8.4 loving it so far and I'd definitely recommend it. I can't comment on the NVIDIA tablet since I honestly haven't read much about it nor have I seen it in person.

The speakers are very good, but I'm just comparing it to my phone (G2) which has pretty rubbish speakers (The front facing speakers on the NVIDIA tab probably eats both). The screen is really nice, you definitely notice the crisp look when it comes out of the box.
Weight-wise it's super light and thin, definitely get a case if you choose the galaxy tab. I have small hands but it still feels lighter than I expected lool
As for power point slides, if you're simply using it for lecture slides it works well. There is a partly pre-installed app "Hancome Office viewer" which allows you to read and edit the usual Microsoft office docs, but I tend to use Polaris just for reading notes. There's always Google Drive too so lots of options for reading and editing documents.

Expandable storage is up 128gb, I have a 64gb memory card which has served well up until now even with a few games, movies and TV shows downloaded.

Overall, if you're planning on carrying it around then it's a pretty handy tablet.

Specs comparison between the two: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/8812,8663
They're both also under £300 on Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
angliastudent
Rep:
Ah thanks, couldn't I just download the Google Now Launcher on the S Tab which would make it as close to stock as possible?

Thanks for your help
angliastudent
Rep:
(Original post by Compact)
I have the tab s 8.4 loving it so far and I'd definitely recommend it. I can't comment on the NVIDIA tablet since I honestly haven't read much about it nor have I seen it in person.

The speakers are very good, but I'm just comparing it to my phone (G2) which has pretty rubbish speakers (The front facing speakers on the NVIDIA tab probably eats both). The screen is really nice, you definitely notice the crisp look when it comes out of the box.
Weight-wise it's super light and thin, definitely get a case if you choose the galaxy tab. I have small hands but it still feels lighter than I expected lool
As for power point slides, if you're simply using it for lecture slides it works well. There is a partly pre-installed app "Hancome Office viewer" which allows you to read and edit the usual Microsoft office docs, but I tend to use Polaris just for reading notes. There's always Google Drive too so lots of options for reading and editing documents.

Expandable storage is up 128gb, I have a 64gb memory card which has served well up until now even with a few games, movies and TV shows downloaded.

Overall, if you're planning on carrying it around then it's a pretty handy tablet.

Specs comparison between the two: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/8812,8663
They're both also under £300 on Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Does it feel as light as a smartphone or slightly heavier?

I'm not much of a fan of tablets and phones that feel as though a breeze could blow them away haha
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Ah thanks, couldn't I just download the Google Now Launcher on the S Tab which would make it as close to stock as possible?

Thanks for your help
That will get you a lot of the way there, yes :yep:
Compact
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thanks Does it feel as light as a smartphone or slightly heavier?

I'm not much of a fan of tablets and phones that feel as though a breeze could blow them away haha
Comparing it again to my G2 the tablet is a bit heavier; there's a noticeable difference but for a tablet it feels very very light in the hand considering its size (am I making sense? XD)
The back of my phone is pretty smooth whilst the tab has a much better grip without a case so that does help.

Honestly, if there's a carphonewarehouse nearby you, try and pop in to play around with one. That's pretty much how I made my final decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

1. Minimum of 8 inches
4. Under £300
5. Not too heavy/chunky
6. Expandable memory

Your missing the Nexus 9...probably could get it under £300 to be fair.
angliastudent
Rep:
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Your missing the Nexus 9...probably could get it under £300 to be fair.
No expendable memory and the 32gb is too expensive
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No expendable memory and the 32gb is too expensive
You thought about USB OTG as a source to expand the memory?
angliastudent
Rep:
(Original post by Iqbal007)
You thought about USB OTG as a source to expand the memory?
Yeah but I much prefer using a microSD, less hassle IMO

Also, the Nexus 9 doesn't have the best screen ratio for watching movies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
29.93%
It went fairly well (219)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (66)
14.32%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.24%

Watched Threads