Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If Blair is good at answering questions well you know who he feared for when the Conservatives changed their new leader after rubbish Ian Duncan Smith? Kenneth Clarke. Apparently he's very good. Never seen him in action though, he was before my time in politics so to speak.

Education has gone down the pan since Blunkett was in. So has crime since. I'm fed up with the current government interfering with the justice system and the legal profession.

Labour could do a lot better if they had Blair, Straw, Blunkett and Hodge out.

The economy has gone well I give credit for that. But education, crime and health hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If Blair is good at answering questions well you know who he feared for when the Conservatives changed their new leader after rubbish Ian Duncan Smith? Kenneth Clarke.
    I agree, if he had got in instead of IDS, things could be a lot different now. They certainly would be much better prepared for winning the next GE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I agree, if he had got in instead of IDS, things could be a lot different now. They certainly would be much better prepared for winning the next GE.
    But Ken Clarke is pro-Europe and pro-Euro which currently goes against Tory party opinion. Remember he and Michael Heseltine shared a platform with Tony Blair and Charles Kennedy in 1999 for the launch of the "Britain in Europe" campaign. I'm sure some members of the Conservative Party haven't forgiven him for this act of rebellion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    But Ken Clarke is pro-Europe and pro-Euro which currently goes against mainstream Tory opinion.
    Yes, but I'm sure we could have ironed those flaws out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If Blair is good at answering questions well you know who he feared for when the Conservatives changed their new leader after rubbish Ian Duncan Smith? Kenneth Clarke. Apparently he's very good. Never seen him in action though, he was before my time in politics so to speak.

Education has gone down the pan since Blunkett was in. So has crime since. I'm fed up with the current government interfering with the justice system and the legal profession.

Labour could do a lot better if they had Blair, Straw, Blunkett and Hodge out.

The economy has gone well I give credit for that. But education, crime and health hasn't.
    Health: There are more nurses/doctors than ever before.

Crime: Is down, 20% i think since '97.

Education: Is a little all over the place, but not as bad as what the media make out, more teachers, more people in HE, better results across the board.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)

Education: Is a little all over the place, but not as bad as what the media make out, more teachers, more people in HE, better results across the board.
    meh, someone's been feeding on the spin.

ReputationRep:
    lol! As oposed to believing the trash printed in newspapers everyday? Labour has been good for this country and hopefully will continue that into the future.

ReputationRep:
    and you don't think the Conservative figures are spun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    and you don't think the Conservative figures are spun?
    Not well enough, evidently.

ReputationRep:

more doctors and nurses doesn't necessary equate to better health care. I am not necessary sure also that more people in highter educatoin is a good thing when there is a skill shortage in things like buliding and the fact Britain is going to need a hell of alot of houses soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    more doctors and nurses doesn't necessary equate to better health care. I am not necessary sure also that more people in highter educatoin is a good thing when there is a skill shortage in things like buliding and the fact Britain is going to need a hell of alot of houses soon.
    I agree that there is a shortage but the problem is that, given a choice, a lot of people simply don't want to work in construction even though in terms of wages they will probably earn more on a building site than sitting in an office.

ReputationRep:

That's quite a simplistic view there.

Health: Foundation hospitals - what the hell was he thinking. No wonder there was such a rebellion over it from his benches, it's a ridiculous policy. It's just gonna result in more debt and a two-tier health service. On other stuff, well, it's hardly improved by simply throwing cases full of money at it.

Crime: Street crime skyrocketed after Labour came to power (I was personally mugged thrice in London). So, they target street crime and suddenly burglaries skyrockets. It would appear there is little thought behind that. Police are still institutionally racist, there's still a massive shortage in ethnic minorities, we can be arrested for looking like a terrorist, we've got stupid ID cards on the way, gun crime (especially black on black) has gotten worse and worse... shall I go on?

Education: It's pretty crap in this area too. Teachers are resigning across the boards (my school lost tons of it's staff), we've got 'top-up fees' for Uni students on the way, which is gonna compound student debt to stupid amounts. I don't know if there are more teachers or not, but if there are they're likely alot less experienced than those resigning. Regarding results, they're always improving, as kids are simply getting smarter and adjusting to exam performance. Plus there's all this stuff about exams getting easier, but I won't comment on that.

ReputationRep:
    I think Blair's premiership has been a generally successful period. Economy is in fantastic shape and unemployment at a low. Healthcare is improving instead of decaying and Labour are dealing with public services well. The war is a question mark, but he had only one choice.

Gordon Brown will not be the next Labour party leader - I just can't see the country going for him (far too dull and uncharismatic). My money is on Charles Clarke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    I think Blair's premiership has been a generally successful period. Economy is in fantastic shape and unemployment at a low. Healthcare is improving instead of decaying and Labour are dealing with public services well. The war is a question mark, but he had only one choice.

Gordon Brown will not be the next Labour party leader - I just can't see the country going for him (far too dull and uncharismatic). My money is on Charles Clarke.
    When the economy is good no one is interested in it and when it is bad it is top priority. I think their success here does get over looked but I can't see what they have done for public services.

They just seem to throw money at problems and I think the public services would be much better if they were redesigned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)

So not true, and if Charles Clarke is leader then I'll be voting for the stark raving looney party

ReputationRep:
    Daveo - aren't you a bit biased when commenting on Gordon Brown? (I seem to remember from a post a few weeks ago...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    When the economy is good no one is interested in it and when it is bad it is top priority. I think their success here does get over looked but I can't see what they have done for public services.

They just seem to throw money at problems and I think the public services would be much better if they were redesigned.
    any suggestions for how you would redesign them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Daveo - aren't you a bit biased when commenting on Gordon Brown? (I seem to remember from a post a few weeks ago...)
    Yes very but thats not the point

ReputationRep:
    What about the A level fiasco? Remember Blair said something that he wanted to be rated by education, education, education or something :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Recently the Government has had a tought time of things with the backbench revolt over top up fees and opostion to the Iraq war typified by the bulid up to the Hutton report. What are your views of how sucessful Tony Blair and labour have been. I appreciate that immigration is going to be a major issue however personally i would like to refrain from debating it, Tony obviously realises there is a problem and has done little to deal with it, and if you want to debate it there are a other threads on it and its also been discussed heavily in the BNP threads.

Do you think the following things have improved:
    Education
    Economcy
    Health Care
    Britain's standing in the world
    Law and order
    and lastly how do you precieve the Prime Minister, given that Tony has been acussed of making the country more Republic like?
    I'm afraid I think that Labor have performed unremarkably on all the above issues. No worse than I expected. Certainly, no better.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.