Methane Spikes found on Mars could suggest Extra-Terrestrial life

Watch
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ed-planet.html

Methane spikes detected by Curiosity could be the result of bacteria on the red planet. Assuming that it's not non-biological, the big question is then, has the planet been contaminated by this and previous missions or is this the first sign of alien life?
username1384880
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
idk.
surely ur joking
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably from Kim Jong Un when he exploded in that helicopter.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ed-planet.html

Methane spikes detected by Curiosity could be the result of bacteria on the red planet. Assuming that it's not non-biological, the big question is then, has the planet been contaminated by this and previous missions or is this the first sign of alien life?
All very interesting and since Venus, Earth and Mars all had water at one point there's a decent chance they all had microbial life.

Personally i think Titan is actually the best bet right now, it's been identified that in addition to liquid oceans (Methane) it has all the ingredients required for DNA and RNA.
UCAS problems :(
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
All very interesting and since Venus, Earth and Mars all had water at one point there's a decent chance they all had microbial life.

Personally i think Titan is actually the best bet right now, it's been identified that in addition to liquid oceans (Methane) it has all the ingredients required for DNA and RNA.
What about europa :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UCAS problems :()
What about europa :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Certainly more likely that it's life more similar to our sea life but there are some concerns with Europa. Namely that if all the ocean is under the surface then are there are any currents. If there are no currents then how will the production of Hydrogen Peroxide be prevented (i think that's the chemical) since it's believed that this is what caused the death of 90% of species around 500 million years ago.
geneticist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why does this thread has 5 replies?

Great news!
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Venus seems unlikely - the high atmospheric pressure and the lack of a magnetic field (meaning solar winds can rip its atmosphere apart), by all rights it should be uninhabitable.

Titan could perhaps be a good host, but I think Europa would be the better target: which is also why it's COSPAR Category IV

Certainly more likely that it's life more similar to our sea life but there are some concerns with Europa. Namely that if all the ocean is under the surface then are there are any currents. If there are no currents then how will the production of Hydrogen Peroxide be prevented (i think that's the chemical) since it's believed that this is what caused the death of 90% of species around 500 million years ago.
You don't necessarily want to prevent its production though. Some have posited that the presence of oxidising compounds are critical to the development of multicellular life, and as far as oxidising agents go, Peroxides are pretty powerful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.86%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.37%

Watched Threads