The Student Room Group

Does it offend you when someone fires up a cigarette in your presence?

I don't mean in the sense that it's a pretty selfish thing to do (because it pretty much is, if it's around a child or an asthma sufferer), but in the sense that smokers only smoke a cigarette because they're stressed and need the short-term fix to calm them down.

When someone starts smoking a cigarette around me (my dad, usually, in this case), it doesn't offend me per se; it does, however, make me wonder if the fact that they're stressed out at that particular time (due to the fact that they've decided to start smoking) actually has anything to do with something I've said or done, or whether it's just simply because they're stressed out due to nicotine withdrawal.

I always seem to think that it's a bit of an awkward question to ask a smoker though, to be honest.

Scroll to see replies

It can be annoying depending on where it is, can't say i've ever been "offended" though.
Reply 2
Wow no I think you're overthinking it a bit...they probably just get cravings for nicotine if they go more that 10 minutes without it :colonhash:
I hope it offends people. I might start smoking occasionally just for that purpose then. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Gax
Wow no I think you're overthinking it a bit...they probably just get cravings for nicotine if they go more that 10 minutes without it :colonhash:

I know that. But don't they also whip out a fag when they're ****ed off about something trivial, or after they've had hardcore sex? It is a relaxant, after all (albeit a short-term one).
Reply 5
Original post by Genocidal
I hope it offends people. I might start smoking occasionally just for that purpose then. :biggrin:

I'm not offended by it, like I said in my opening post. I'm just curious if other people would be offended by someone smoking, because of the slight chance that the smoker could be ****ed off at you for what you've said or done.
Reply 6
They usually smoke because theyre addicted and not for the stress. Indeed it bothers me, smoking is hateful. Some come into my non smoker house and do it without a remorse without giving a ****. Hateful
It doesn't offend me but I do think 'damn I'll be washing my hair tonight then' though.
Reply 8
Depend's where it is, and who it is.
Reply 9
Nothing really to add to the above, it very much depends on where and when.
OP your thread has angered me so much, i'm going to have a rollie, that i wouldn't of had for at least another 30 seconds.
It does offend me because it makes me think that the smoker has no regard for me or they don't respect me enough to not inflict their second-hand smoke on my lungs. It's one thing if you want to smoke those death sticks but a completely different thing to expect other people to smoke them with you.

The other day I was at a bus shelter waiting for my bus when a woman with a baby stroller casually stood next to me and started puffing like there was no tomorrow. I politely asked her if she would move away from me and she refused claimed the wind would put her cigarette out. I berated her and called her a bad mother and a poor role model for her child she started tearing up and then my bus came.
Smokers are silly and lack common sense, they want a short term fix but fail to see the long term. This is why i can't emphasise with smokers of the 21st century. Obviously decades ago it was common to smoke and everyone did it so fair enough..

i would be offended and if someone did that in front of my child, i would slap the cig out of their hand, stamp it with my foot and await their response
If smoking offends you, you must have a serious problem.
A smoker isn't going to light a fag to piss you off. Smokers smoke because it reduces stress, gives endorphin's, quells cravings and just makes you feel better, even if you're having a really **** time.

Loving the fact that you people are concerned about second hand smoke, whilst ignoring the fact that unless you live in the countryside you give up your right to clean air. Pollution from cars, factories, fires, ect does a ****-LOAD more damage than standing beside someone smoking a fag for five minutes.

Seriously, there was a study done (google it yourself, I'm not your lapdog) that found that you had be in an un-ventilated room with someone chainsmoking for 24 hours to do the same amount of damage to your lungs as Barbecuing a big meal. Seriously.

Smoking around a child or someone that you KNOW has breathing problems is different, yeah it's not gonna kill them, but it's nice to be nice and sensitive to their situation. Someone bitching about their hair smelling bad however, can go to hell.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Only when they forget to stub it out on an anti smokers eyeballs.
No.
Because pretty much the only place I'll ever be where smokers also are is outdoors, where the smoke and smell dissipates very quickly.
I didnt care too much when I was a kid because my parents smoked and I was used to the smell. However, my mother stopped smoking many years ago and my father now uses an e cigarette which has a neutral smell. Thus I've got more vulnerable to the cigarette smoke etc... and now I hate it so much, when I pass a smoker in the street I instantly hate him if his smoke gets into my nose. I will even jog for a while to get in front of someone who was walking before me in the street so that I would constantly find myself in the cloud of his smoke. I know I'm overractig but lately smoke and its horrible odor have become so disgusting to me ita unbearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smoking is a mug's game. if you have to smoke please use those electric ciggys.
Offended by someone smoking? No. I smoke.

There is a lot a negativity aimed at smokers in this thread. We should be celebrating smokers. They die earlier which save the NHS and Government a lot of money. Dead people don't need pensions.

Before anybody starts claiming that smokers are a burden on the NHS, do some research the Tax revenue from smoking is £12.3 billion. The cost to the NHS is £5 billion.

Smokers should get more appreciation than they do. Next time you see a smoker, say thank you to them.
Reply 19
Original post by Spetznaaz
OP your thread has angered me so much, i'm going to have a rollie, that i wouldn't of had for at least another 30 seconds.

Are you being serious? Do smokers also smoke cigarettes because they're angry, or is it just because they're addicted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending