Chemistry OCR Salters Individual Investigation question

Watch
dongo999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have recently finished the practical work for the OCR Salters Chemistry individual investigation. My investigation was on the oscillating B.Z. reaction, and my aim was to first find the rate equation for the general equation of the reaction (3CH2(COOH)2(aq) + 4BrO3(aq) → 4Br(aq) + 9CO2(g) + 6H2O(l)) and then from this rate equation I could find the rate constant k. This would then be used with the Arrhenius equation to find the activation enthalpy for the reaction.
I used a data-logger to record the oscillations in potential difference whilst the reaction was taking place and then on the Pasco Capstone programme (used to view the graphs) I would find the time taken for 10 oscillations, divide this by 10 to get an average time period, and then take the reciprocal of this to find the average frequency of oscillations (as a measure of rate of reaction). I then plotted graphs for each of the reactants (Sulfuric acid, malonic acid, potassium bromate and manganese sulfate), with "average frequency of oscillations" against "concentration". For manganese and malonic acid the graph is a straight line but an incredibly shallow one, so im saying that they are probably zero order. For potassium bromate and sulfuric acid, the graphs are straight lines but they dont pass through the origin (none of my graphs do) and so they are not like first order graphs where a double in concentration leads to a double in the rate. What do I conclude that the orders are?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (219)
74.74%
No (74)
25.26%

Watched Threads