Akbar1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why do people associate Computer Science with programming/coding?
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Akbar1)
Why do people associate Computer Science with programming/coding?
Because many computer science courses are just programming, programming and more programming with a couple of maths/logic modules thrown randomly into the mix.
Akbar1
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigV)
Because many computer science courses are just programming, programming and more programming with a couple of maths/logic modules thrown randomly into the mix.
It is good that computer science courses are preparing you for the real world and for employment/jobs.

But I thought computer science was the study of logic, algorithmic processes and the use of computers to solve problems.
Isn't programming merely a tool to solve problems logically and to execute algorithms?
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Akbar1)
It is good that computer science courses are preparing you for the real world and for employment/jobs.

But I thought computer science was the study of logic, algorithmic processes and the use of computers to solve problems.
Isn't programming merely a tool to solve problems logically and to execute algorithms?
It is. I think that was the point I was trying to make....

Many (bad?) courses are almost 3 years of programming and not much else and this is why people think computer science == programming.

A decent course will include everything you mentioned and more, because if you can master the way of thinking and solving problems then you can learn to program in any language quite quickly. If you know how/why to approach solving a problem then if you get stuck with the actual coding you can usually Google the solution anyway...

Enjoying programming is probably not good reason to do a CS degree.
Akbar1
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigV)
It is. I think that was the point I was trying to make....

Many (bad?) courses are almost 3 years of programming and not much else and this is why people think computer science == programming.

A decent course will include everything you mentioned and more, because if you can master the way of thinking and solving problems then you can learn to program in any language quite quickly. If you know how/why to approach solving a problem then if you get stuck with the actual coding you can usually Google the solution anyway...

Enjoying programming is probably not good reason to do a CS degree.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your previous comment

I see what you mean, Computer Science courses should be placing more emphasis on theory.

But that does make me wonder what areas of Computer Science are considered theoretical (i.e. turing test, logic, artificial intelligence, computational theory) and the practical elements of CS (i.e. programming, server management, software management and hardware knowledge)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (80)
38.28%
Take autumn exams (71)
33.97%
Look for a job (6)
2.87%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.35%
Take a year out (32)
15.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.22%

Watched Threads