Highest paid graduate scheme?

Watch this thread
P1234R
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I had assumed the top salary for a graduate scheme would be around £30-35k for a job in banking/law in London, but I got an email through the university careers service yesterday which a salary in the subject line so high I assumed it was either a typo or spam. It wasn't.

It was for Aldi's Area Manager graduate scheme in Ireland which pays... €61,000 (or around £48,000) plus an Audi A4 company car. That's for your first year. They say it will rise to €92,000 (£72k) after 4 years.

I've had a look on Aldi UK's website today and it says £41k starting salary rising to £67,750 after 4 years.

Must be a **** job though :P

Anyone seen any higher?
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by P1234R)
I had assumed the top salary for a graduate scheme would be around £30-35k for a job in banking/law in London, but I got an email through the university careers service yesterday which a salary in the subject line so high I assumed it was either a typo or spam. It wasn't.

It was for Aldi's Area Manager graduate scheme in Ireland which pays... €61,000 (or around £48,000) plus an Audi A4 company car. That's for your first year. They say it will rise to €92,000 (£72k) after 4 years.

I've had a look on Aldi UK's website today and it says £41k starting salary rising to £67,750 after 4 years.

Must be a **** job though :P

Anyone seen any higher?
I'd say front office investment banking has to be the highest with £70,000 graduate starting salary (or there abouts once you include bonuses). However, banking has by far the longest hours: from 60-100 a week. That's closely followed by top tier law and consulting on about £40,000-£50,000.

I saw the Aldi thing, and agree it's very interesting and a great opportunity. I'm under the impression they want to take other supermarkets down and because they're small relatively in the UK, they have the luxury of giving graduates lots of experience, responsibility and exposure as they grow fast (as well as a free car). However, you will be working long hours (up to 70 a week).

Also, don't forget tube drivers earn just over £50,000.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super Cicero
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by will2348)
I'd say front office investment banking has to be the highest with £70,000 graduate starting salary (or there abouts once you include bonuses). However, banking has by far the longest hours: from 60-100 a week. That's closely followed by top tier law and consulting on about £40,000-£50,000.
100 hours a week? How is that even possible?

What would that be? 7:00am to 11:30pm six days a week?!
Commercial Paper
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Super Cicero)
100 hours a week? How is that even possible?

What would that be? 7:00am to 11:30pm six days a week?!
It's more like 9am to 2/3am weekdays and then 12-12 on a Saturday plus a few hours over Sunday.

It's not that every week, most weeks it's just 70 to 90. And they drop significantly year on year as you become more senior to normality whilst your pay shoots up into ridiculous land.

^ It depends on division though. All the desks have different hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spongebob'sPants
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You couldn't pay me enough to do 70 hour weeks.

Work/life balance is exceptionally important, imo.
Rakas21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Certainly sounds like a great offer but 70 hours per week is excessive. Personally I'd prefer to aim for a pre tax salary of 50k and then get wealthy from investments while doing as few hours as I can to maintain that salary.

With that being said, its possible that you could get your work done in less time as you gain more experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise