Applying Watch

vrna.4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I achieved 7 A*'s and 5 A's in my GCSE's. After doing some research I found out that most of the candidates who apply for Oxford or Cambridge have a minimum of 10 A*'s. Should I bother applying for medicine or should I look into a new course? I'm in my AS right now.
daisychain_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your grades are fine.
russellwallace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vrna.4)
I achieved 7 A*'s and 5 A's in my GCSE's. After doing some research I found out that most of the candidates who apply for Oxford or Cambridge have a minimum of 10 A*'s. Should I bother applying for medicine or should I look into a new course? I'm in my AS right now.
Do you want to study medicine or go to Oxford or Cambridge?

There are 32 medical schools all of which produce excellent doctors. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine for most of them. More importantly at this stage you need to be looking at voluntary work and work experience.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
Cambridge

I'm looking for voluntary work and work experience but I keep on receiving a lot of rejections as I am only 15 and I turn 16 next year in august

Posted from TSR Mobile
russellwallace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cambridge

I'm looking for voluntary work and work experience but I keep on receiving a lot of rejections as I am only 15 and I turn 16 next year in august

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't get those until you are at least 16. Do you want to study medicine at Cambridge or just study medicine. The course at Cambridge (and Oxford) is a very specific type.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
I'm quite sure what you mean by studying medicine at Cambridge or just medicine? Do you mean to say if Cambridge is a specific choice for me or is medicine a specific choice?

I wish to do the A100 course

Posted from TSR Mobile
russellwallace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm quite sure what you mean by studying medicine at Cambridge or just medicine? Do you mean to say if Cambridge is a specific choice for me or is medicine a specific choice?

I wish to do the A100 course

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I mean is do you want to become a doctor? A100 = Medicine, so yes you do. I wondered if you were intent on studying at Cambridge but the course didn't matter.

So, when you said "Should I bother applying for medicine or should I look into a new course?" I wondered if medicine was not really what you wanted but you just wanted to study something at Cambridge?

If you want to study Medicine I was suggesting that Cambridge and Oxford are a very specific type of medicine course, quite different form the other 30 medical schools. in the way they teach the whole course.
Medicine is one of those courses where the university you study at has very little affect on your future. The whole Russell group thing has no real impact in Medicine

Back to your GCSEs. They are perfectly adequate for most medical schools. You might be a bit low for Cambridge. That's what I was getting at, sorry.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
There's no need to apologise, in fact I kind of am really confused with what to do myself....

I keep on stressing out on how I have no idea what I want to do in the future.
I just want to focus on my A-levels right now but I keep on getting side - tracked by voluntary work and work experience. Even though all I'm getting are rejections.

Thanks for the help though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no need to apologise, in fact I kind of am really confused with what to do myself....

I keep on stressing out on how I have no idea what I want to do in the future.
I just want to focus on my A-levels right now but I keep on getting side - tracked by voluntary work and work experience. Even though all I'm getting are rejections.

Thanks for the help though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you sound confused.

Clarify whether you:

A) Want to study medicine in the uk at ANY university

B) want to study medicine at ONLY oxford or Cambridge

Choose one of these options and maybe someone might be able to answer your question for you. because at the moment no one really understands what you are asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oqivy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's GCSE?
Posted from TSR Mobile
russellwallace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oqivy)
What's GCSE?
Posted from TSR Mobile
General Certificate of Secondary Education. The exams done in the UK at 16 years old.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
I want to study cardiology in particular because it interests me a lot.

What I was asking is that with my GCSE's whilst applying to the unis I like (UCL or King's College) should I bother with Cambridge and Oxford? If this helps

I want to study medicine for sure, but I just am not sure where exactly I should aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
russellwallace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What I was asking is that with my GCSE's whilst applying to the unis I like (UCL or King's College) should I bother with Cambridge and Oxford? If this helps

I want to study medicine for sure, but I just am not sure where exactly I should aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forget Cardiology. You have to study medicine first and, by the time you graduate you will likely have changed your mind completely. Unless you come up with A grades in all your AS levels with very high marks I would forget about Oxbridge. Please check out how the courses work at all the other Medical schools.
Why UCL or Kings? What is it about their course that appeals to you?
Bow Tie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's still nice to have an idea of what interests you, then you can look into things more and flesh out your personal statement a bit! Just don't stress over one area in medicine, that's all.
I'm applying currently for medicine at Cambridge (post interview now) and in my mind, I'd really only apply for medicine if you are SURE it's something you want to study, hence work experience (just don't be put off early, relish the experience). Also it's good to have it in your head that Cambridge might not be an option (The statistics are against you!) and a lot of courses are hard to gain entry into so it's best to have a selection of uni choices and be happy to study at any of them! Nowadays, it's lucky to get 1-2 offers! Any questions though and I'd be happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zorg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying Medicine at Cambridge will earn the same respect, from those in the know, as studying at Oxford, Imperial, Keele or UEA. The courses are heavily regulated by the GMC such that all courses teach you the same thing, just in slightly different ways and in different parts of the country. The institute you graduate from does not play a role in your application to foundation year posts (the job after you graduate). It follows then that if you want to be a doctor it doesn't matter where you graduate from. You get four choices of medical school on your application form, you certainly are not going to be putting down Cambridge four times.

GCSEs form only a small part of your application. Focus on decent A levels and work experience. You may not be old enough to volunteer for certain roles but look in to ones you can use, peer mentoring, DoE etc. Then chase down the clinical side when you are 16.

On the note of age, have you skipped a year in school? How can you be 15 and have achieved all of your GCSEs? I'd certainly suggest taking a year out after A levels to explore different career paths. I sped through the system and was spat out the other side unsure of what to do, only after years of umm-ing and ah-ing have I settled on medicine. Take the year out to understand what you want and why you want it.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
I skipped year 8 and was accelerated from year 7 to year 9.

Guys I was wondering that what sort of career would I look into if I was interested in maths and chemistry? Medicine is something that I always liked but after my GCSE's I found out that maths and chemistry were something that I was good at and interested in. I could do chemical engineering as I am studying Physics in AS but it's not my strongest point at the moment.

I wanted to do pharmaceutical but then my biology teacher suggested against it because he said that there aren't many jobs available in that sector.

Do any of you know a possible course I could research about in university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zorg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I skipped year 8 and was accelerated from year 7 to year 9.

Guys I was wondering that what sort of career would I look into if I was interested in maths and chemistry? Medicine is something that I always liked but after my GCSE's I found out that maths and chemistry were something that I was good at and interested in. I could do chemical engineering as I am studying Physics in AS but it's not my strongest point at the moment.

I wanted to do pharmaceutical but then my biology teacher suggested against it because he said that there aren't many jobs available in that sector.

Do any of you know a possible course I could research about in university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't pick something at uni because you're good at it, I did that and regretted it.

There a loads of jobs in pharma. Like everything else in life it is competitive though.
Check the big pharma sites for job profiles. GSK, Pfizer, AstraZenica etc. Some of charities should have research profiles you might be interested in, CRUK, BHF etc. You won't get a great idea for it unless you get hands on experience though.

This is why I'd suggest a year out to figure this out.
vrna.4
Rep:
?
I'm taking a gap year after my A-levels because right now I am really confused. I am hoping that the year will help clear out my confusions and allow me to have a clear mind about what I want to in university. What I'm concerned about is should I apply next for universities to get an insight on how the experience is or shall I leave it until during my gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.66%
The paper was reasonable (1076)
47.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (506)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.86%

Watched Threads