Turn on thread page Beta

Flashed from the front?! watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, now i know they got those new cameras that flash from the front, but one of those old cameras flashed me from the front on the opposite side of the road...WTF!?

ReputationRep:
    You sure it wasn't a car on the other side of the road? Were you actually speeding?

I seem to remember a thread about this a while ago...

ReputationRep:
    Someone on other side got done. End of.

ReputationRep:
    actually... u sometimes see one camera, but them markings on both sides of road? so it should cover both sides?...

ReputationRep:
    yes i was speeding, no1 was on the other side of the road

ReputationRep:
    Meh, probs nout to worry about, if nothing comes through in 18 days your fine.

Just those 18 days are really looooong!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Truvelo cameras can and do operate on the opposite carriageway. They have a swivelling head and can operate off the piezoelectric strips set into the road in either direction. This is why sometimes you find the speed camera facing away from the markings in the road.

You may or may not receive a NIP. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    He said it was an old camera...Gatso type

I think he will be fine, although thanks for the heads up on truvelo!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Hmm mixed opinions on this one.

There are marks on both sides of the roads, although I believe this is so that the people with the camera on their side can't move into the wrong lane to avoid a ticket...not 100%

GOod luck

ReputationRep:
    Naaa - Gatso's flash on the opposite side of the road even if nobody is going in that particular direction relevant to the camera. If your speed is notably over (35 in a 30), then the camera on the other side will trigger, ableit in the wrong direction (so no penalty for you sunshine).

ReputationRep:
    Yea it won't stand in court or anything because it's only configured for the one way so they don't bother iirc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Naaa - Gatso's flash on the opposite side of the road even if nobody is going in that particular direction relevant to the camera. If your speed is notably over (35 in a 30), then the camera on the other side will trigger, ableit in the wrong direction (so no penalty for you sunshine).
    wooohooo, yea i was doing 60, but i wasnt being a wreckless prick it was empty road, no pedestrians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Yea it won't stand in court or anything because it's only configured for the one way so they don't bother iirc
    A minute ago you said something different.....you don't know do you lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    A minute ago you said something different.....you don't know do you lol.
    I know it will flash but wether or not he gets a ticket I don't know. (Pretty sure he won't though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Gatso)
    Gatso speed cameras need to calibrated and only record traffic in one lane at a time. Some Police authorities have placed cameras which can be turned around to face different traffic flows from one week to the next.
    (Original post by http://www.truvelouk.com/installationmains.phtml)
    Two-way operation possible from one nearside post with additional piezo sensors in opposite lane.

They both can be turned to face the other carriageway at any time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes...but not instantly as Gatso's require re-calibrating. If the Gatso he was facing was facing the other carriageway he is fine.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    You'll find out soon enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    No, thats almost misleading what that GATSO statement says. It means that if the GATSO is in the middle of the road, and has lines on both sides for oppposite directions, the GATSO can be turned so that it can process either side. If the GATSO was facing towards your front grill, then its looking the wrong way to capture you.

The OP will not get fined, at all. Try it if you must. I have a hobby of making them flash on the other side of the road as I'm coming home on the A1 putting the car through the gears, and the camera never not fails to trigger. Done it with the camera on the complete other side of the road as well, rather than just in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    But they can't flash towards you AND prosecute because it's distracting for drivers. They can only do it with a complete 180 swivel, e.g.

.....|
    ./\
    .....|
    ..acam
    .....|
    .......\/
    .....|

get you where the arrows are. Truvelos are different because they are forward facing so use in infra-red flash - you don't see it but they can see & prosecute the driver (unless you're a motorbike!). You also can't use radar jammers on them as they use strips imbedded in the road to measure your speed.

ReputationRep:
    I passed a camera last night. It was on the opposite side of the road in a 30. It was one of the ones with a big yellow box on top of it. (I'm not really sure of the types). Would it only be for the other side of the road or would it work in both directions? I was doing 31-32 at the time. Would this be enough to get points?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.