Maya.M
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering if you lovely people could help explain to me what am I exactly supposed to be writing about in English Literature.

English Literature at GCSE was very easy and understandable and I enjoyed it a lot but As level has completely confused me. I wrote a papers on "How is the story told in (poem) by Robert Browning?" and I've been doing absolutely awful even though I:confused: did exceptionally well at GCSE.

So we're covering Narrative Method and the texts are The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Tennyson, and Robert Browning.

What am I supposed to write about when writing my essays? What is the specification looking for? Also what does it mean by Narrative Method?... I just need to understand the things I am supposed to be writing about in the essays? because clearly my essays are ... as my teacher said "UTTER NONSENSE". Section A I am writing about Browning and the rest are Section B. If someone could just tell me 1. How to write the paper in section A and 2. What too look for (e.g Setting) and 3.how to go about writing it and if you could do the same for section B then I will be eternally grateful.
Lilyghz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used to be in your shoes,my friend. And then I got an A at AS! I'll pm you at some point today with help!
Maya.M
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you x
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maya.M)
I was wondering if you lovely people could help explain to me what am I exactly supposed to be writing about in English Literature.

English Literature at GCSE was very easy and understandable and I enjoyed it a lot but As level has completely confused me. I wrote a papers on "How is the story told in (poem) by Robert Browning?" and I've been doing absolutely awful even though I:confused: did exceptionally well at GCSE.

So we're covering Narrative Method and the texts are The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Tennyson, and Robert Browning.

What am I supposed to write about when writing my essays? What is the specification looking for? Also what does it mean by Narrative Method?... I just need to understand the things I am supposed to be writing about in the essays? because clearly my essays are ... as my teacher said "UTTER NONSENSE". Section A I am writing about Browning and the rest are Section B. If someone could just tell me 1. How to write the paper in section A and 2. What too look for (e.g Setting) and 3.how to go about writing it and if you could do the same for section B then I will be eternally grateful.
First of all, consider that this entire unit is called, 'Aspects of Narrative'. This tells you that the main focus of this unit is understanding how narratives are constructed and their building blocks, which you need to remember are all chosen by the writer.

In Section A, you have the choice of talking about any of your four texts. You say your teacher has told you to write about Browning, so do that. Either way, you're going to come across to two sub-questions.

The first question will be about the construction of the narrative in one of Browning's poems, or a section of one of his poems - it will usually be phrased, 'how does Browning tell the story in The Laboratory', for example. For these questions, you need to consider narrative techniques, spot them and then say why they have been chosen by the writer and how they aid in developing the plot.

Things you can consider are: time (chronology of the novel, does it go back in time, is time broken, are there narrative gaps, etc.), setting (what places are mentioned and how are changes of setting established, you could link to time), narrative perspective (who is the narrator, is the narrator intradiegetic or extradiegetic and so on, and how reliable is the narrator in this particular chapter) and you can also talk about characterisation. There are many other things you can talk about, but try to focus more on structure and form, than language. Everything you have to say, however, has to connect to the writer's intentions and you need to make it clear that you are aware that Browning has made these choices. An example of one of my paragraphs for this question on The Great Gatsby is shown in a picture.

For the other question, you're going to be invited to have an argument. Here, you need to make sure you pick out the subtleties in the question and really try to discuss both sides. Discussing both sides of the argument to the question is how your interpretations will form and you can use context to support/lambast them. However, only use it when it's relevant and remember that you should not have an essay solely on context - as my coursework teacher says, 'context should support your points, not make them'. If you can link to any critical theories, like Feminism and Marxism, then do so, but it's not really a requirement at this level. So, though you won't get marked down for not including it, you might get marked up for using it - always worth a shot, eh? You also need to remember that you're marked on AO1 - the quality of your writing. As a result, make sure your writing is focused, well-structured and you use lots of connectives to establish and develop your argument.

If you want the top band, which is easiest for this question, in my opinion, make sure you evaluate other interpretations - so say which ones make more sense and why. Perhaps use context to say why one more interpretation is more valid than another or some additional textual support. Again, I have one of my essays for this question on Gatsby in the picture (pencil marking). It's not Band 6, as it was the first essay I did this year, but hopefully, it might give you an idea of how to structure the answer.

I hope that helps!Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419120074.929274.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  264.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419120082.988650.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  216.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
DelReyRevolution
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maya.M)

Hey, I've just finished all of Browning and am doing the same texts as you. Drop me an inbox if you want some help - I'm getting Bands 5 and 6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads