jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, i'm having a bit of trouble understand something

I understand that when electrons relax to the ground state the energy or photon emitted is the same as the energy gap.

This says ''to emit specific energies, electrons themselves can only have specific energies''

Surely it shouldn't matter what energy the electrons are at as it is about the energy difference not the absolute values? or do all electrons relax to the same energy?
Phichi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Electrons can only be excited to specific energy levels in an atom, in hydrogen for example, n=1 -13.6eV and n=2 -3.4eV. So to be able to emit a photon of some energy, the electron must first occupy a higher energy level state, of which has a specific energy associated with it. This in turn will emit a photon of specific energy when it relaxes to a lower energy level (of specific energy). It can't hover in between, all the energies associated with the whole process are specific. The only dependence on energy of the photon lies within which specific energy level the electron occupies and which it relaxes to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
Hi, i'm having a bit of trouble understand something

I understand that when electrons relax to the ground state the energy or photon emitted is the same as the energy gap.

This says ''to emit specific energies, electrons themselves can only have specific energies''

Surely it shouldn't matter what energy the electrons are at as it is about the energy difference not the absolute values? or do all electrons relax to the same energy?
Within a specific atom all of the energy levels are specific (fixed). Hence the difference in energy between any two levels is also fixed.

Electrons absorb energy to promote to excited states and relax again by emitting the same quantum of energy.

Check out this interactive Hydrogen emission spectrum
jacksonmeg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Within a specific atom all of the energy levels are specific (fixed). Hence the difference in energy between any two levels is also fixed.

Electrons absorb energy to promote to excited states and relax again by emitting the same quantum of energy.

Check out this interactive Hydrogen emission spectrum
alright thanks I understand now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads