The Student Room Group

choosing a uni (mechanical engineering beng)

I recently got 5 conditional offers and I need to choose 2 of them, one as my firm acceptance and the other as my insurance acceptance.
The 5 universities that i got accepted in for mechanical engineering are: The university of Manchester ; The university of Warwick ; The university of Liverpool ; Queen Mary University of London and UCL.

Please can you guys help me out
Original post by username1997
I recently got 5 conditional offers and I need to choose 2 of them, one as my firm acceptance and the other as my insurance acceptance.
The 5 universities that i got accepted in for mechanical engineering are: The university of Manchester ; The university of Warwick ; The university of Liverpool ; Queen Mary University of London and UCL.

UCL, Warwick/Manchester, QMUL and then Liverpool.
Reply 2
Okay so ucl is my first choice but i need to choose between warwick and manchester.
The university of manchester has the best engineering department between these uni and warwick has a better reputation and is known worldwide.

You don't have to make this decision for months. Have you visited any of the unis in question?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
You don't have to make this decision for months. Have you visited any of the unis in question?

No i didnt visit any of these universities. Btw im an international student.
No i didnt visit any of these universities. Btw im an international student.

Ok. What are the offers? What do you think you will achieve?
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Ok. What are the offers? What do you think you will achieve?

It is based on my french baccalaureate results :
Ucl 15/20 (overall + math and physics)
Warwick 14/20. (overall + math and physics)
QMUL 14/20. (overall + math and physics)
Manchester 13/20. (overall + math and physics)
Liverpool 12/20 (overall + math and physics)

Well i think i will get 15/20 overall with 16/20 in math and. 17/20 physics
It is based on my french baccalaureate results :
Ucl 15/20 (overall + math and physics)
Warwick 14/20. (overall + math and physics)
QMUL 14/20. (overall + math and physics)
Manchester 13/20. (overall + math and physics)
Liverpool 12/20 (overall + math and physics)

Well i think i will get 15/20 overall with 16/20 in math and. 17/20 physics

In that case you seem to have a wide choice. If UCL is your firm, then you can choose virtually any insurance choices. As I said before you have a long time to make this decision. Can you visit before May? Warwick would be a very different living experience compared to London or Manchester.
Reply 8
I don't think I can visit before May unfortunately.

Well, what specifically is it that you're looking for in your degree? What do you want to do afterwards? With just a list of universities, we can't really offer much help I'm afraid. It's very unlikely that someone who has relevant study experience at two or more of the universities you have listed will be able to reply, offering advice.
Original post by Smack
Well, what specifically is it that you're looking for in your degree? What do you want to do afterwards? With just a list of universities, we can't really offer much help I'm afraid. It's very unlikely that someone who has relevant study experience at two or more of the universities you have listed will be able to reply, offering advice.

After getting my degree, i would probably work as a consultant. In fact, I chose mechanical engineering because it is a broad major, i can work in the oil industry, automative.... But i'm sure that while studying the major I will be convinced about the career path that i want.
After getting my degree, i would probably work as a consultant. In fact, I chose mechanical engineering because it is a broad major, i can work in the oil industry, automative.... But i'm sure that while studying the major I will be convinced about the career path that i want.

It's true that mechanical is broad. I did mechanical myself and work for an oil & gas consultancy. Mechanical is probably the most common discipline for us to hire due to its breadth. But as you say, as you progress through your degree you'll have a better idea of what you want to do, career wise.
London is very expensive to live in and accommodation may not be close to where you study.

You need to decide what sort of place you want to live in for three/four years.
Well I think i will pick warwick as my firm and manchester as my insurance.
Well I think i will pick warwick as my firm and manchester as my insurance.

So what has made you change your mind in the last hour or two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending