Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Reading Blunkett in the Sun the other day, he said use has desceased by 600 000 users since downgrading it, and I'm inclined to trust Blunkett on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
    Reading Blunkett in the Sun the other day, he said use has desceased by 600 000 users since downgrading it, and I'm inclined to trust Blunkett on this.
    I'd like to know what he's basing that on though, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    ...Alaska and Amsterdam following legalisation...
    It's legal in Alaska? You learn something new everyday.

Surprise surprise, the vast majority of cannabis users are normal people who lead normal lives. They have good jobs, earn good money, have healthy children, and also happen to enjoy using da ganja.

Most users are intelligent people, who know the meaning of moderation. When I was at school, all my circle of friends smoked weed quite regularly. We were a popular bunch, who were also damn clever and did very well at exams. The point I'm making is that using cannabis doesn't mean you're gonna become a complete stoner and become a 'drop out.'

ReputationRep:
    /\ Very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)
    It's legal in Alaska? You learn something new everyday.

Surprise surprise, the vast majority of cannabis users are normal people who lead normal lives. They have good jobs, earn good money, have healthy children, and also happen to enjoy using da ganja.

Most users are intelligent people, who know the meaning of moderation. When I was at school, all my circle of friends smoked weed quite regularly. We were a popular bunch, who were also damn clever and did very well at exams. The point I'm making is that using cannabis doesn't mean you're gonna become a complete stoner and become a 'drop out.'
    Bravo........................... ....... But I very much doubt if a person smoked cannabis whilst you're pregnant, the baby would be unharmed.

That's the thing with smokers, they say "I'm not doing anyone else any harm, I'm not causing any damage" yet they will not smoke when they're pregnant because they don't want to harm the baby. The way I see it is that it's a big contradiction. If you're worried that smoking will harm an unborn baby, then it's obviously not a 'normal' thing to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    Bravo........................... ....... But I very much doubt if a person smoked cannabis whilst you're pregnant, the baby would be unharmed.

That's the thing with smokers, they say "I'm not doing anyone else any harm, I'm not causing any damage" yet they will not smoke when they're pregnant because they don't want to harm the baby. The way I see it is that it's a big contradiction. If you're worried that smoking will harm an unborn baby, then it's obviously not a 'normal' thing to do...
    How is that related to the thread? It's not "Pregnant women should smoke cannabis" it's "Cannabis should be legalised".
    Nor did the quoted post mention pregnant women.

A wide number of things harm babies - alcohol consumption, smoking, certain diets, being stressed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    How is that related to the thread? It's not "Pregnant women should smoke cannabis" it's "Cannabis should be legalised".
    Nor did the quoted post mention pregnant women.

A wide number of things harm babies - alcohol consumption, smoking, certain diets, being stressed...
    I am fully aware of that. However, the poster in question stated that it's what 'normal' people did, or words to that effect. So I basically stated that if it was the norm, then pregnant women would be able to smoke it because if it is the norm then it must be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you assume that 'normal' = 'safe'. That's a load of nonsense. It's normal to eat more than one's healthy share of chocolate cake, yet it's not 'safe' and it's something you may well wish to review if you were carrying a child.

You really need to look up an index of common logical fallacies. You make a hell of a lot of them.

ReputationRep:
    I am fully aware of that. However, the poster in question stated that it's what 'normal' people did, or words to that effect. So I basically stated that if it was the norm, then pregnant women would be able to smoke it because if it is the norm then it must be safe.
    Norm = safe eh?
    Nothing we do is safe, therefore nothing is normal. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Drugs are ****ing disgusting and they obviously mess up your head, but I'm all for legalisation. Victimless crime.

ReputationRep:
    However, the poster in question stated that it's what 'normal' people did, or words to that effect.
    I did not suggest that non-users were 'abnormal,' as your post implies I did.

ReputationRep:
    the government has to have a single policy on cannabis, alcohol and tobacco.
    if you look at it objectively they are all potentially damaging, and there is considerable evidence to show that cannabis is actually no more harmful than these legalised and taxable drugs.
    either make them all illegal (totally not guna happen as the state makes way too much cash through the taxation) or make them all legal and regulated. there will be a few people who develop problems with cannabis, but the likelihood is these figures will be little different to those we have currently, and the taxation which it would undoubtly be subject to would almost certainly redress the financial balance.

lets face it, the adverse effects would be more likely to be reduced if such drug use was brought out of the shadows and made subject to regulation. so long as things are stigmatised problems cannot be solved effectively

ReputationRep:
    More people would use it, not a good idea.

It's effects attact users, not whether it's legal or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I'd like to know what he's basing that on though, to be honest.
    Me too, everyone I know smokes occasionally, their parents etc have smoked at some point. I'm not sure that this is the general experience of course, but at least from what I've seen cannabis use is endemic, especially amongst youth?

Then again, I wasn't alive in the 60's :p:. But the downgrading in classification was comparatively recent...

I've always thought this would increase use. I know that when I do various other substances, I am very aware they are illegal and will cause me no end of problems if I get caught with them...whilst I will smoke a spliff in the middle of the street (as long as no old people or children are around obviously).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Drugs are ****ing disgusting and they obviously mess up your head, but I'm all for legalisation. Victimless crime.
    Stealing to feed a herion, or crack addiction is hardly victimless. Cocaine can make people very violent...etc etc.

Then we come to a semi-philosophical question, can you victimise yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    Stealing to feed a herion, or crack addiction is hardly victimless. Cocaine can make people very violent...etc etc.

Then we come to a semi-philosophical question, can you victimise yourself?
    The idea though is that once these drugs were legalised addicts wouldn't need to steal to feed their habit, as prices would fall immensely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    You can hit someone over the head with a crowbar, I don't think making crowbars illegal to posess would be a good tactic.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if more people use it? Does anyone know the most commonside effects of marijuana? Increased appetite and a relaxed attitude. I don't see why that's any worse than the side effects of alcohol--especially as alcohol has the tendency to make people aggressive.

I remember being shocked to discover that many of my friends from school had parents who used marijuana recreationally. They had professions and normal families. Most user do it casually. It has been proven--marijuana is not physically addictive (unlike tobacco). People use as much as they want, the only people who become dependent are those predisposed to addictive behavior--same as alcohol.

I think it causes so little harm to society that the cost of arresting and pursuing people that use marijuana is a waste. It could be sold legally to those 18+, limiting youth access to it (which is pretty easy right now), and could be taxed for increased revenue. I don't see a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the most commonside effects of marijuana?
    It makes people talk about if we were...err like...all in a big...if this is not just all a...err...

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis is unbelievably dangerous, and it has been linked to a number of mental illnesses, such as depression, manic depression, as well as illnesses linked with a person's lungs.
    Goodness me. The scaremongering has worked on you hasn't it? Look at alcohol. Can I show you what alcohol is linked to?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.