Legalisation Of Cannabis Watch

Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think a large part of the cannbis problem is that people use it irresponsibly. You get teenagers who smoke huge amounts of the strongest stuff they can find every single day; that's not good. There is considerably less problem in more mature people who use it now and then, don't get themselves wasted all the time, and are then able to function normally. As with most things, the key is moderation. Perhaps there is an argument for legislation, but with a higher age restriction.

Case for why cannabis should not be available to 18 year olds: One of my friends has devised the "Totally Hardcore Challenge", in which he and several of his friends will attempt to smoke an entire ounce of strong weed each within 24 hours. Silly people >.<
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Case for why cannabis should not be available to 18 year olds: One of my friends has devised the "Totally Hardcore Challenge", in which he and several of his friends will attempt to smoke an entire ounce of strong weed each within 24 hours. Silly people >.<
Good thing no one does that with alcohol
shadders
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Really though you guys are missing the point. Cannabis itself is not really the problem. You have to smoke a hell of a lot of weed for it to have a major health risk. Medical Experts know this and so does the government. However what the big problem with Cannabis is, is that many people use it as a starting point to harder drugs, interviews with drug addicts shows that a incredible amount started on weed, and it is more than likely would have never made the jump to harder stuff if they havent.

I think the law is fine at the moment, it is pretty much legal at the moment anyway for my purposes, of course unless you are dealing. However if they actually enforce the laws on cannabis, they should really rethink on banning smoking and drinking, which are both much much much bigger issues in todays society. So overall I think the law should stay the same.
shady lane
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But it's easy for young people do get a hold of now. If it was 18+ it would be more difficult, don't you think?
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shadders)
Really though you guys are missing the point. Cannabis itself is not really the problem. You have to smoke a hell of a lot of weed for it to have a major health risk. Medical Experts know this and so does the government. However what the big problem with Cannabis is, is that many people use it as a starting point to harder drugs, interviews with drug addicts shows that a incredible amount started on weed, and it is more than likely would have never made the jump to harder stuff if they havent.
The gateway drug argument is so weak, honestly. Criminalisation of cannabis has the same effects that alcohol prohibition had in America. Prohibtion led to a fall in the consumption of beer and a rise in the consumption of spirits. A similar pattern emerges with drug use. If all drugs are illegal, you may as well go for the drug with the strongest effect.
Just because many drug users started out on cannabis, that doesn't mean cannabis is the cause of heroin addiction. For example, most alcoholics started out on milk, or have tried tea. Statistics are misleading.
Tag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=shadders] is that many people use it as a starting point to harder drugsQUOTE]

About a third of the teenagers I know have or do smoke weed on a regular basis. Only a handful take E's, coke, tabs etc.

I think it's the other way around - people who are more likely to try harder drugs are more likely to smoke pot regularly to fill in the time between highs.

To be honest, the only people who really care about the legalisation of cannabis are pot-heads.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=Tag]
(Original post by shadders)
is that many people use it as a starting point to harder drugsQUOTE]

About a third of the teenagers I know have or do smoke weed on a regular basis. Only a handful take E's, coke, tabs etc.

I think it's the other way around - people who are more likely to try harder drugs are more likely to smoke pot regularly to fill in the time between highs.

To be honest, the only people who really care about the legalisation of cannabis are pot-heads.
And libertarians, and politicians, and the police force, the prison service...

Does it not strike you as somewhat ridiculous that you can be imprisoned for doing nothing but possibly harming yourself?
Tag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
absolutely. I think it should be legalised. But the only people I ever see/hear commenting on how it ought to be legalised are people who use it for recreational use, saying 'ooo but people in hospitals need it maaaaan'. Suuure, that;s reeeeally what u care about.

But the laws in this country are absolute bollox anyway. The police care more about putting away fraudulent businessmen who steal from fraudulent businessmen than rapists or helping people in need. What can you do though?
soup_dragon87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tag)
absolutely. I think it should be legalised. But the only people I ever see/hear commenting on how it ought to be legalised are people who use it for recreational use, saying 'ooo but people in hospitals need it maaaaan'. Suuure, that;s reeeeally what u care about.
Have you read this thread..?
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think that at the moment it can be a bit of a gateway drug in that its illegal so you're going to be a bit of a 'rebel' if you choose to do it (thats the only word I could think of! Basically most people who don't do it don't do it because its illegal not because they're worried about health effects). And so once you've broken the first barrier of trying something illegal and seeing its not that bad (in the short term), you're going to be more inclined to try other stuff.

That and also you start hanging out in certain circles of friends who will probably at some point move onto harder stuff if they haven't already.

That's what happened to me anyway :p:

I do also think that it being illegal does make it a lot more attractive though to young people. The whole ringing around and finding someone to pick up from etc. Same thing as underage drinking or clubbing. Would certainly remove some of the 'glamour' if you only had to pop to the newsagent lol.
FreedomtoFascism
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
I think that at the moment it can be a bit of a gateway drug in that its illegal so you're going to be a bit of a 'rebel' if you choose to do it
It wouldn't be a gateway drug if it were legal though, seeing as it doesn't make its users want to try harder drugs/get a stronger high, so calling it a gateway drug in any respect isn't right.

By itself, smoking Cannabis is a relatively harmless thing to do, its the LAWs surrounding it that actually cause all the problems. Sure it isn't good for your health, but nither is alcohol, the difference being cannabis only affects the user (maybe the pizza delivery people too) whereas alcohol can make users affect other users through violence/anti social behaviour etc.

Legalise it, there is no reason not too!
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=FreedomtoFascism]It wouldn't be a gateway drug if it were legal though, seeing as it doesn't make its users want to try harder drugs/get a stronger high, so calling it a gateway drug in any respect isn't right.
[\QUOTE]
If it was legal then yes it wouldnt be a gateway drug, but at the moment I think it is as it softens the line between different drug classes. You've already tried a class C drug and your life hasn't been wasted away. Would a class B be that much worse? Not that classes really mean a whole lot when it comes to how dangerous a drug is but thats a whole other argument lol.
FreedomtoFascism
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I personally decided to try "harder" drugs, but i educated myself properly first;

-Magic Mushrooms are relatively safe if you about dosage and your source of supply (this would be no problem if it were regulated by shops). I wouldn't do it regulary, and no one would really. Its more of a one off expanding experience

I have tried harder drugs, but i have the will not to try them ever again.

Educate people properly, and allow them to make their own choices. However, the way our society works wouldnt allow for heroin or cocaine to be legal, whereas cannabis is fairly insignificant. When it was decriminalized in American states in the 1900's, use of it did NOT increase. If u put it all together, u will see no reason for it not being legal.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FreedomtoFascism)
I personally decided to try "harder" drugs, but i educated myself properly first;

-Magic Mushrooms are relatively safe if you about dosage and your source of supply (this would be no problem if it were regulated by shops). I wouldn't do it regulary, and no one would really. Its more of a one off expanding experience

I have tried harder drugs, but i have the will not to try them ever again.

Educate people properly, and allow them to make their own choices. However, the way our society works wouldnt allow for heroin or cocaine to be legal, whereas cannabis is fairly insignificant. When it was decriminalized in American states in the 1900's, use of it did NOT increase. If u put it all together, u will see no reason for it not being legal.
Mmmmm hard drugs...
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is no reason why cannabis should not be legalised, at all, for adult private use.

Haven't read through the thread, has anyone come up with a good reason at all?
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
There is no reason why cannabis should not be legalised, at all, for adult private use.

Haven't read through the thread, has anyone come up with a good reason at all?
Standard health issues (which could be said for everything obviously) and making for a lazy economy which I thought was quite interesting... Imagine if people were just stoned all the time hehehe...

I think its just the mental issue possibilities. People don't seem to mind if you're doing yourself physical harm but mess with your brain...

Lets all take some acid.
Princess_Peach
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Free the Weed!
soup_dragon87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the real reason behind the "we're not going to legalise it" lobby is that so many government bodies ban you from smoking cannabis. If suddenly it were legalised they wouldn't have the right to require this of you, thus undermining their authority.

Then again this could be 11pm sewage thought, who knows.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
Standard health issues (which could be said for everything obviously) and making for a lazy economy which I thought was quite interesting... Imagine if people were just stoned all the time hehehe...

I think its just the mental issue possibilities. People don't seem to mind if you're doing yourself physical harm but mess with your brain...

Lets all take some acid.

Well, quite. I realise you were trying to help me out by listing reasons you don't actually agree with, but those don't stand up at all.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
Well, quite. I realise you were trying to help me out by listing reasons you don't actually agree with, but those don't stand up at all.
Well I think the health issues stand if you look at them on their own, the problem is that the law isn't consistent with all intoxicants which is where all the debates come in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (987)
79.34%
Leave (257)
20.66%

Watched Threads