Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not to go too far out, but i think its wrong to say to someone, "you can't ingest/drink/smoke" so and so, because its bad.

Whatever happened to the freedom of life? Just because society would fall apart if everyone was having fun 24/7 isn't a bad thing, everyone could have fun, rather than the people at the top at present who get more than the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    Well I think the health issues stand if you look at them on their own, the problem is that the law isn't consistent with all intoxicants which is where all the debates come in.

Even if cannabis was terrible for you (not proven at all), that doesn't matter, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The role of government is not to nanny its people so they don't do things that might hurt them - that is their choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    The role of government is not to nanny its people so they don't do things that might hurt them - that is their choice!
    Exactly! finally, someone else who understands what freedom is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    Even if cannabis was terrible for you (not proven at all), that doesn't matter, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The role of government is not to nanny its people so they don't do things that might hurt them - that is their choice!
    But if the government is having to pay at the end of it for people hurting themselves (NHS bills etc) then they have every right to intervene.

Of course if it was nicely taxed then that argument doesnt stand either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really though you guys are missing the point. Cannabis itself is not really the problem. You have to smoke a hell of a lot of weed for it to have a major health risk. Medical Experts know this and so does the government. However what the big problem with Cannabis is, is that many people use it as a starting point to harder drugs, interviews with drug addicts shows that a incredible amount started on weed, and it is more than likely would have never made the jump to harder stuff if they havent.

I think the law is fine at the moment, it is pretty much legal at the moment anyway for my purposes, of course unless you are dealing. However if they actually enforce the laws on cannabis, they should really rethink on banning smoking and drinking, which are both much much much bigger issues in todays society. So overall I think the law should stay the same.
    That gateway drug argument is such rubbish just politicians propaganda people dont smoke cannabis and then go oh i want heroin. Those people who are lightly to experiment with drugs and have always intended to use harder drugs will try the less damaging ones first such as cannabis. So what i am saying there is no chemical property of cannabis that makes you want to do harder drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I do think its a gateway drug. Not saying that if you try cannabis you will definitely move on to harder things, but very few people will start straight on pills or speed etc without having dabbled in 'softer' stuff first. It serves the purpose of opening up your mind to 'just because its illegal doesnt make it bad' and so you can start to apply that to other illegal substances.

But again, not everyone will move on to harder stuff. A lot of people stick to the 'I'll only smoke because its a natural substance' rather than all the chemically stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but many crack addicts started smoking cigarettes. Doesn't mean it caused them to start smoking crack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    Yes but many crack addicts started smoking cigarettes. Doesn't mean it caused them to start smoking crack.
    Nice observation...

I'm just saying that it will change your perception of illegal substances and in doing so you won't see them in as bad a light as you may first have done. NOT saying that you will definitely go on to do them but it may lead you to consider doing something you may have not considered doing before.

I know a lot of people who start on weed saying they'd never do anything like pills etc but then did in the end.

But then I also have a friend who loves her pills but doesn't smoke weed at all (she may have since tried it once or twice... but hadn't done it before doing pills).

Ah theres no general rule you can throw down I'm so crap at debating lol I agree with what almost everyone else says against me lol.

ReputationRep:
    But if the government is having to pay at the end of it for people hurting themselves (NHS bills etc) then they have every right to intervene.

Of course if it was nicely taxed then that argument doesnt stand either :rolleyes:

The government is not detached from the people in the way you seem to be suggesting. When you say 'the government pays for it', you mean the people pay for it - where does the government get its money (and legitimacy) from?!

If people have an issue with free healthcare for all at the point of use, that is a different discussion. If you think cannabis users should have to pay for the cost of cannabis related diseases, ok (although that is very dangerous territory - where do you draw the line? What about people who eat food that isn't as good for them as it could be? Or play sports and get injured? Or do dangerous jobs? etc etc). Still doesn't mean that consuming cannabis for personal use should be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis appears to be a gateway drug because to get a hold of cannabis you'll most likely come into contact with someone selling something harder. This can be resolved by regulating the sale of cannabis.

ReputationRep:
    Nice observation...

I'm just saying that it will change your perception of illegal substances and in doing so you won't see them in as bad a light as you may first have done. NOT saying that you will definitely go on to do them but it may lead you to consider doing something you may have not considered doing before.
    Well then, in that case, would legalising cannabis not remove this aspect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Well then, in that case, would legalising cannabis not remove this aspect?
    Yes I think it probably would.

I'm all for legalising cannabis. We're just not trusted as a society to be able to do things reasonably in moderation. Which is quite sad. The 24 hour drinking thing hasnt turned out so bad they should trust us a bit more methinks.

ReputationRep:
    This debate is interesting. I know people who are near enough always under the influence of cannabis, and I wouldn't say it's made them a bad person, and I also know that they are some of the people who are most against stronger drugs. So saying it is a gateway drug may be true, but that's simply the individuals choice. It has medicinal purposes, from helping to tackle asthma to aiding people with severe rhumatoid athiritis which neither alcohol or tobacco have and to set the record straight, it DOES NOT cause mental illnesses, but can 'bring them to the surface' if the person may have minor mental health problems beforehand. Agreed, 'stoners' do tend become a close-knit community, but why is that a bad thing? They can still have a wider variety of interests than simply getting 'high', some might even be going to university to do mathematics...

ReputationRep:
    cannabis makes you slow. don't do it

ReputationRep:
    says who? i can run faster than a cheetah

ReputationRep:
    i sell cannabis if it were legal i would make no money. acid is good though take acid is really good like nothing else i have ever experience although i have not done dramamine yet. i herd it is another world

ReputationRep:
    if you want a way to burn of ecxess brain then drugs are a good call

ReputationRep:
    despite believing all drugs should be legalised and people should have the opportunity to make their own minds up, given what i now know about what cannabis can do i think more information about it's potential effects are definitely needed before we can dare legalise it.

the talk to frank adverts and website are a load of crap, that's not information, that's government sponsored anti-drug crap. it's only meant to stop people doing them entirely, that's not going to happen, people need to be presented with the complete truth and allowed to make their own decisions.

ReputationRep:
    May I just chime in like a broken vynal and state that,

Why cannabis is illegal whilst alcohol is not MAKES NO PIGGING SENSE.

Aye. ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)
    You won't really get done for possession of cannabis anymore anyway. S'all good.
    Alcohol = fine to drink in public places.

Cannabis = cannot consume in public places.

Pete tong in my opinion.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.