Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    I have since made a decision never to touch the stuff again.
    What influenced you in that decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    but alcohol is argueably less destructive.
    explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Alcohol = fine to drink in public places.

Cannabis = cannot consume in public places.
    Well, a huge number of local authorities in the UK now have by-laws preventing the consumption of alcohol in public.

Anyway, I'm just shocked that you get out enough to sample anything illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    Well, a huge number of local authorities in the UK now have by-laws preventing the consumption of alcohol in public.

Anyway, I'm just shocked that you get out enough to sample anything illegal.
    generally people don't go out to smoke weed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    generally people don't go out to smoke weed...
    Oh, I don't know... when I was 16, we used to go to the cricket pavillion to do it at lunchtimes.

We'd have doubtless got nicked for it. Our local constable was one of those Elder of the Kirk types who'd probably resort to using phrases like 'full extent of the law' because he had **** all better to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    What exacly does weed do for you? I get pissed a lot, and its pretty awesome, but looking at how people on weed act, it looks quite crap. I mean whats good about it? You began to speak lazily and get all relaxed and dont do anything, and then people get hungry and laugh for a bit, and then go back to doing nothing. Do people do it for the relaxation, or when people are sitting there looking baked, their actually having a heightened sensory expierence where stuff is more colourful and things?
    Personally I think draw beats alcohol hands down. For a start, it's cheaper, you go out and drink and it'll set you back about £30-40 for a realtively nice night out (without food). That £40 would buy you a quarter to last at least a week.

It has different effects on different people, NEVER go by yourself the first few times, if you happen to be one of the very few that freaks out then you will want someone there, at least you will know never to try it again. AFAIK it does not have the same schizophrenic effects in the long run, you will find out pretty much first time if you should leave it alone.

The whole brain turning to slodge is just a bit of an urban myth. I find it makes you more philosophical and thinking about other concepts and theories that you may never have previously discovered. Alcohol closes doors, as you start to slow down in motor and brain functions, leading to an inability to perform simple tasks properly. In fact, I know someone who used it through the past six months, practically every day, and I don't mean just one, and he still got a high 2:1, not saying it makes you intelligent, just trying to dispell the statement that it turns you into an idiot.

Cannabis makes you chilled out, while alcohol makes you rather lairy. There is a greater sensation of relief and a stress free enviroment, although I think this is partly influenced by your state of mind when using it.

You do get the munchies on cannabis, an unfortunate side effect that makes you empty the fridge, forgetting that you need food the next morning.

One of the major setbacks is that there is little consistency in the goods you purchase, one batch can be a great deal more potent than the next.

Colourfulness is definitely good. You don't hallucinate, just see colours more vividly. You also have very vivid dreams, also it works perfectly to send you to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=12)
    It has different effects on different people
    That's so true! I personally need a lot before I start to feel any effect.

Also, have you had sex high? Holy......crap :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis makes you chilled out, while alcohol makes you rather lairy.
    I think alcohol has the same relaxation effects really, only a minority of tits who want to be too laddish get lary.

I think perhaps one of the drawbacks of weed is the people who take it. MY environment is sort of sport, the banter assosiated with it and then the alcohol assocaited with it. It seems, rather intangibly, that the sport playing beer drinkers are a bit of a different crowd from the more laid back weed smokers. Im not saying the two are mutually exclusivle, but ive found weed smokers to be nonsport playing and not particualry pro active. Of course, you get the occasional footy player who is indescriminate in his drug taking, but their just novelties.

On legalising weed, i dont think there is that much sesne to the who classification and legalisation system. Im certianly not saying all drugs should be legalised, but i think most of the views on drugs are based around social stigmas. Taking even things liek opium in moderation wont destroy you, but it will probably harm you more than drinking alcohol in moderation. What im saying is, taking most drugs in moderation wont **** you up, the classicifations are usually based on social attitudes and how damaging heavy use is - heavy use of heroin is obviously more damaging than heavily using beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    explain
    While Cannabis can have an affect on your lungs and brain if taken in large, regular amounts (or one overdose), alcohol does damage to your liver and, some have said, your heart. It also messes up your brain if taken too much. Alcohol is good for your social well being; relaxes you, but weed does a similar thing, in a different manifestation. While alcohol has no real health benifits, weed can be taken medicinally.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but there are many substitutes for weed medicinally, and if its to kill pain, then alcohol does that too - alcohol was a major medicinal tool untill recently. plus, you can legalise weed in a medicinal sense, like people have with herion in morphine, but that doesnt justify being able to use it to get baked on a weekend.

ReputationRep:
    What exacly does weed do for you? I get pissed a lot, and its pretty awesome, but looking at how people on weed act, it looks quite crap. I mean whats good about it? You began to speak lazily and get all relaxed and dont do anything, and then people get hungry and laugh for a bit, and then go back to doing nothing. Do people do it for the relaxation, or when people are sitting there looking baked, their actually having a heightened sensory expierence where stuff is more colourful and things?
    I don't really experience what tufts experiences while 'high', probably a bit more similar to 6+6=12. I find my mind becomes a lot more active, you can become quite introspective and also think about things in different ways which does open your mind up to a lot (I get into the whole perceptions of society blah blah stuff haha). And its great to have these conversations with people, especially under the influence. You just feel in a nice comfortable environment.

I also find that people find the effects of smoking split between it makes them lazier or it gives them energy. I fall into the gives me energy category; I love to get up and dance when I'm stoned or spin some poi or whatever And because your brain is working faster you can 'hear' music/break it down much quicker hence electronic music can sound really good; the different layers and how they interact becomes a lot more pronounced.

Anyway I personally much prefer it to alcohol but thats just for me. Different drugs for different people is what I've always found. Although it is when you think about it bloody expensive. You're paying £20 for a few leaves lol. But yeah it does last ages if you don't go overboard.

And wrt to the whole mental health thing, it can and does induce 'episodes' which can be extremely unpleasant. And this isnt in just people who are already prone to it etc... There's a huge thread on another forum I go on where people are talking about times that they flipped out/problems their friends are having its pretty scary. Its a lot more common than I think smokers are willing to accept. Having said that, most these people would get through an eighth in 1-2 days on their own. To non smokers - that is a HELL of a lot of to smoke in that time period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    While Cannabis can have an affect on your lungs and brain if taken in large, regular amounts (or one overdose), alcohol does damage to your liver and, some have said, your heart. It also messes up your brain if taken too much. Alcohol is good for your social well being; relaxes you, but weed does a similar thing, in a different manifestation. While alcohol has no real health benifits, weed can be taken medicinally.
    you can't "overdose" on weed.

secondly alcohol has been shown to have many health benefits - glass of red wine good for your heart and between 3-10 units a week (i read today) can be good at staving off genetic arthritus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)
    Surely it cannot be argued against that alcoholism is one of the most destructive paths one can fall into? Couple that with the weekly violence and trouble I'm sure every town centre experiences as a reuslt of drunken louts. Can you really say the same about people who take cannabis? IMO the potential dangers of alcohol far outweigh the potential dangers of cannabis.
    the problems with fights and that in city centres are very much a british phemonimonom , in mainland europe it really doesn't happen as much.

and canabis can be pretty destructive to an individual too. don't assume i know nothing about it, i know it very well and it's very easy to fall into a pattern of smoking it all the time. i don't think it's aas dangerous as alcohol, you can't overdose on it, it's not physically addictive, no ones' ever died from it directly and it's not gonna make people violent in the way alcohol can. however in some people it has very real mental effects so they should imo avoid it, and in the long term we might not be fully aware of the effects however i think as i said, it's entirely people's choice.

i don't see the mental effects with alcohol in the same way as weed, although imo alcohol as far as we know so far appears to be the far more dangerous drug when used to excess.

(Original post by mizzy87)
    With regards to your post, surely people can only be fully informed truthfully if cannabis is actually legalised and not treated as some sort of taboo subject in our schools? Also of course, if legal, we will be sure that dealers are not cutting weed with other crap - the substance can be monitered.
    If you read my posts, you'd see i support legalisation of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think alcohol has the same relaxation effects really, only a minority of tits who want to be too laddish get lary.

I think perhaps one of the drawbacks of weed is the people who take it. MY environment is sort of sport, the banter assosiated with it and then the alcohol assocaited with it. It seems, rather intangibly, that the sport playing beer drinkers are a bit of a different crowd from the more laid back weed smokers. Im not saying the two are mutually exclusivle, but ive found weed smokers to be nonsport playing and not particualry pro active. Of course, you get the occasional footy player who is indescriminate in his drug taking, but their just novelties.
    I smoked doob when I was younger, whilst playing county cricket.

edit, not actually at the same time :P:

ReputationRep:
    I tell you what, my grammar and syntax on here has become so ****ed up. Dyspraxia must be taking over. As I said, the two arent mutually exclusive - one of hte best footy players on our school team took everything under the sun, i just think in general weed smokers are different people. I mean the type that choose to smoke weed instead of alcohol as their main intoxicating past time - the real regular users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    You've evidently never ended up with your head in a toilet as a result of it... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    You've evidently never ended up with your head in a toilet as a result of it... :cool:
    Were you drinking at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)

secondly alcohol has been shown to have many health benefits - glass of red wine good for your heart and between 3-10 units a week (i read today) can be good at staving off genetic arthritus.
    1) Seen it happen.

2) Agreed- my Grandpa takes whiskey each night on the advice of his doctor, so obviously both are medicinal.

ReputationRep:
    you can overdose on nearly anything, including water.

ReputationRep:
    you can overdose on nearly anything, including water.
    Yes, perhaps this overdosing issue needs clarification, every substance has a level at which it will prove fatal, with marijuana this level far exceeds the amount that could be reasonably ingested.

What people who claim to have seen an overdose often have seen is a whitey, associated with inexperience, it can cause nausea and faintness they can be caused by any number of factors. It is not in any meaningful terms an overdose.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.