Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything you can do to help someone who just thinks that the world would be a better place without them so are planning on killing themselves?
    I know tell someone etc, but anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Is there anything you can do to help someone who just thinks that the world would be a better place without them so are planning on killing themselves?
    uh you are going to get a flood of answers but personally i couldn't tell you as i do not know the person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    How old are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzya7)
    uh you are going to get a flood of answers but personally i couldn't tell you as i do not know the person
    Forget whether you know the person, I just need to know if there is anything that can be done

ReputationRep:
    If they can't be persuaded otherwise the only option is to physically prevent them from doing so, which doesn't solve the underlying problem. It also raises the issue of whether or not we should have the right to prevent people from killing themselves...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Forget whether you know the person, I just need to know if there is anything that can be done
    seek professional help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancunIan)
    If they can't be persuaded otherwise the only option is to physically prevent them from doing so, which doesn't solve the underlying problem. It also raises the issue of whether or not we should have the right to prevent people from killing themselves...
    Yeah... he's a long way away at the moment though....
    and I dunno... it just seems like life would be terrible without him... but I guess it just might be for the best if.... :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    How old are they?
    He's 17.

seek professional help?
    He refuses to. He says they just wouldn't understand.
    **** I feel so F*****g helpless

ReputationRep:
    if the danger is iminent...
    get them sectioned... thatll really piss them off. all you need is a doctor, a social worker and their nearest relative... bingo they will be taken to a "place of safety" *ahem* "prison" where they can be treated without their consent with drugs, electricity and straightjackets till they agree to behave. theyll still feel **** when they leave, but the idea of suicide will be a bit stale.

if they arent in a hurry to do it... and you feel youve got a month or 2 to work on them... just spend loads of time with them doing lots of crazy fun things. just randomly turn up @ their house with picnics and eat them in the middle of town, piss abouyt in expensive shops trying everyhting on and buiying nothing... maybe go on holiday. distraction can be a major weapon, get them thinking life is fun and carefree and youre winning. flying kites, wearing fancy dress and rollerskating are also good fun. keep them occupied, make sure someone is always in the house with them at night and all should be ok.
    get em down the doctors for a check up too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    He's 17.
    Play up to potential. Living for your dreams, getting into uni, letting things at least try to make themselves better. That's what got me through. Dreams of rock stardom .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    He's 17.

He refuses to. He says they just wouldn't understand.
    **** I feel so F*****g helpless
    awwwww hun don't feel like that =(

he will pull out of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    if the danger is iminent...
    get them sectioned... thatll really piss them off. all you need is a doctor, a social worker and their nearest relative... bingo they will be taken to a "place of safety" *ahem* "prison" where they can be treated without their consent with drugs, electricity and straightjackets till they agree to behave. theyll still feel **** when they leave, but the idea of suicide will be a bit stale.

if they arent in a hurry to do it... and you feel youve got a month or 2 to work on them... just spend loads of time with them doing lots of crazy fun things. just randomly turn up @ their house with picnics and eat them in the middle of town, piss abouyt in expensive shops trying everyhting on and buiying nothing... maybe go on holiday. distraction can be a major weapon, get them thinking life is fun and carefree and youre winning. flying kites, wearing fancy dress and rollerskating are also good fun. keep them occupied, make sure someone is always in the house with them at night and all should be ok.
    get em down the doctors for a check up too.
    I can't do that, he's at boarding school in America. And there is nowhere near a month or two. More like hours or days.
    Thanks for you suggestions though.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him about all the ways that you would miss him and all the ways that he enriches peoples lives.

You could also try sending an email to samaritans for advice

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

they have a 24hr phone and email line

http://www.soon.org.uk/problems/suicide.htm
    that might be useful too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Play up to potential. Living for your dreams, getting into uni, letting things at least try to make themselves better. That's what got me through. Dreams of rock stardom .
    Heh... he thinks he has no potential though. He is so good at so much stuff, but he just thinks he's hopeless... I tell him all the time that he has so much to look forward to and stuff like that... but he says he just doesn't know if he can hold on that long...

he will pull out of it!
    It's been going on on and off for a year apparently. Nobody knew until a few weeks ago. I've seen him pull though a phase of being like this before, but it just gets worse every time he relapses.

ReputationRep:

he will pull out of it!

take comfort in the fact that it is technically very difficult to commit suicide. the odds of him even making it half way through an attempt are slim just cos we are built to withstand an awful lot. i have found people halfway through... passed out half way through an overdose, hanging aimlessly from curtain rails when the noose didnt tighten and one who hit a vein not an artery... its a complicated thing to get right no matter how determined you are. i have survived many very crazy suicide attempts myself... and i sure as hell planned them meticulously!!!
    he needs help thoguh, if you cant get to him, then he needs to see the doctor and get into psychotherapy or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Tell him about all the ways that you would miss him and all the ways that he enriches peoples lives.

You could also try sending an email to samaritans for advice

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

they have a 24hr phone and email line

http://www.soon.org.uk/problems/suicide.htm
    that might be useful too
    Thanks for the links, but if I sent him them, he might just get angry and not look at them...

ReputationRep:
    kiss him - a proper one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Thanks for the links, but if I sent him them, he might just get angry and not look at them...

No i mean for you to look at.
    Samaritans you can email them its 24 hr and ask them what advice you should be giving him they should be able to tell you what to say.
    The second link has a list of reasons not to commit suicide perhaps you could discuss them with him.

ReputationRep:
    kiss him - a proper one
    He lives in america, I'm in england. slight problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    He lives in america, I'm in england. slight problem.
    have you ever met him in person?

sorry i havent been reading the other posts so don't bite my head off

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.