The Student Room Group

"Happy holidays" is bull**** Christian normativity.

Scroll to see replies

I'm an antitheist, I find the very concept of any kind of god offensive. But I still celebrate Christmas, it's a celebration of generosity and kindness, which are perfectly secular values. The religious element of xmas no longer exists within the mainstream culture of the UK.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I'm an antitheist, I find the very concept of any kind of god offensive. But I still celebrate Christmas, it's a celebration of generosity and kindness, which are perfectly secular values. The religious element of xmas no longer exists within the mainstream culture of the UK.

How the hell can you possibly find the idea of god, which is entirely harmless, offensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paulska_
How the hell can you possibly find the idea of god, which is entirely harmless, offensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being watched every second of every minute of every day by some form of ethereal despot, who can convict you of thought crime and claims ownership over you not just throughout your life but during the eternity of your afterlife, after either condemning you to eternal torment or eternal gravelling at the dictators feet. I am relieved that no kind of theistic deity exists as a world in which any kind of god exists is a world in which there can never be freedom, only submission under the feet of the capricious psychopath who created the world for his own amusement. The morally correct thing to do if god existed would be either to impeach him, if that fails humanity should commit suicide en mass to prevent any other people being forced to live under absolute totalitarianism.

This is what I find offensive about the idea of deities, people who claim to desire this are free to do so, but keep me out of it.
Being watched every second of every minute of every day by some form of ethereal despot, who can convict you of thought crime and claims ownership over you not just throughout your life but during the eternity of your afterlife, after either condemning you to eternal torment or eternal gravelling at the dictators feet. I am relieved that no kind of theistic deity exists as a world in which any kind of god exists is a world in which there can never be freedom, only submission under the feet of the capricious psychopath who created the world for his own amusement. The morally correct thing to do if god existed would be either to impeach him, if that fails humanity should commit suicide en mass to prevent any other people being forced to live under absolute totalitarianism.

This is what I find offensive about the idea of deities, people who claim to desire this are free to do so, but keep me out of it.

So basically you're an a-hole who thinks religion is some sort of fascist dictatorship. K den lol

For someone with a 2:1 in english, you're socially an imbecile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

I'll get my church to pray for you 😉

And if anything you celebrate Xmas, Christmas refers to the birth of Christ which Christians celebrate. Xmas is just an excuse for atheists to get some presents and time off school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol @ people who don't celebrate christmas srs it's so much fun you are missing out

u mad?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, atheists simply lack a belief in God.

PS: I'm not an atheist.

What a surprise! Guess you're just an Islamophobe then :smile:
Original post by Kolasinac138
What a surprise! Guess you're just an Islamophobe then :smile:

Don't confuse criticism with hating :wink:
Don't confuse criticism with hating :wink:

I'm also an ex-Muslim, but I don't spend all day bashing on it and being an Islamophobe.
I'm also an ex-Muslim, but I don't spend all day bashing on it and being an Islamophobe.

Nor do I, I comment on the Islam threads providing criticism, why don't you reply to my posts there instead of resorting to pointless insults :lol:
Nor do I, I comment on the Islam threads providing criticism, why don't you reply to my posts there instead of resorting to pointless insults :lol:

Why don't you learn to not be hateful and spiteful in every Islam-related thread on TSR. :rolleyes:
Why don't you learn to not be hateful and spiteful in every Islam-related thread on TSR. :rolleyes:

Here we go again, if you have a problem with criticism then don't read those threads :laugh:

I guess that you either don't believe in God OR don't think that believing in God / claiming to believe in God has generally been a good thing for the world whether or not God actually exists.

But to say that the idea of God is offensive?

That doesn't compute. If God created everything then it's God's ball game. God would get the right to INVENT what is good and bad.

Plus God would get the right for supposedly bad things to happen to supposedly good people and vice versa.

For it would be God who would be the objective decider of how the grand scheme of things will pan out- in this world AND an afterlife.

You can still have your own ball game within God's (or society's) ball game. But it can be difficult. It's easier, if you're moral, to go along with the idea that there is a God who has a ball game. Otherwise the immorality of others will start to drive you mad with anger.

However- I don't currently believe in God. So that might partly explain why I'm mad with anger with the world and with a lazy band of 'intellectuals' (or not to intellectual) who lack, say, Dawkins's erudition, who, unlike him, feel smug looking down on believers without feeling that they have to justify why belief, for them personally, is an error.
(edited 9 years ago)
Here we go again, if you have a problem with criticism then don't read those threads :laugh:

I come on those threads hoping to read some good points about the topic being argued, yet all I ever see is you spewing racist/Islamophobic trash.
I come on those threads hoping to read some good points about the topic being argued, yet all I ever see is you spewing racist/Islamophobic trash.

OK, whatever you say, well I guess you're going to continue seeing my "islamaphobic trash" because I'm not going to stop with legitimate criticisms of religion, however much you may try to silence it by calling it hate :smile:
OK, whatever you say, well I guess you're going to continue seeing my "islamaphobic trash" because I'm not going to stop with legitimate criticisms of religion, however much you may try to silence it by calling it hate :smile:

Go ahead. It's just very sad that you feel the need to spew hate every day of the year.
Go ahead. It's just very sad that you feel the need to spew hate every day of the year.

Sad that you label those who criticise as haters :smile:
Original post by Heirophant
I am religiously atheist and culturally jewish. I don't believe in god above, and I certainly don't believe in your little baby jesus. Furthermore, as someone who vividly remembers getting the crap kicked out of him in middle school for being the only jewish kid in the class, I can personally tell anyone who wants to say "it's just being nice! there's nothing wrong with it! it's just PC bull****." that otherization and the attempted normalization of one religious ideology has real world consequences for real people. It's not just you being nice, it's you actively participating in a system of control that is hurtful and offensive.

When you say happy holidays, what you are actually saying is "I think everyone should be celebrating Christmas right now, and I will make you celebrate it with me with a thinly veiled code word for Christmas."

This is true for two reasons. First, when you wish me happy holidays, you are only demonstrating your ignorance of the fact that the "Holiday" I am supposed to be celebrating ended roughly 2 weeks ago. If someone were to wish you happy holidays on January 9th you would look at them a little funny and wonder what they were talking about. I don't have to do that, because I know what you're actually talking about. You're talking about Christmas. Stop with the patronizing, faux-inclusive bull****.

The other reason it is true is because Hanukkah is not an important holiday. Like, at all. It is minor as all hell. In terms of important holidays Hanukkah is about as important as boxing day is. To Americans. It just happens to be almost exclusively the only Jewish holiday that Christians know about. It's almost as if this is because they trot it out to act like their Christmas celebrations are somehow secular. They sing 6 Christmas carols and 1 Hanukkah song at the kids "Holiday concert" and they go home in their nice little subaru foresters marveling at how cosmopolitan they all are.

From now on I am going to start wishing Christians "happy holidays" around Yom Kippur and then when they look at me funny explain to them that we're celebrating our important holidays together, so I was wishing them a wonderful St. Andrew's day. Thirty days in advance.

Seriously. Just stop it.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Sad that you label those who criticise as haters :smile:

Yet you only criticize one religion. What a coincidence! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending