mlimbo_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there!

I am applying for Portsmouth for Criminology and I've received a conditional offer (yay!) But i'm a bit confused:

This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points from three GCE A levels including GCE A level Grade B in any of Sociology English Literature
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: We have subtracted tariff points from qualifications you have already achieved, therefore our offer only applies to examinations you have not yet taken.

I am doing two A-levels (English and Sociology), One BTEC (music) and also extended project. I am also re-taking GCSE maths to get it up to a C grade. Am I missing something here?? I'm confused :P
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your offer, I think, is asking that you get A-Levels which must specifically include at least a B in Sociology/English Lit. Your grades must total 260 UCAS points. Can't remember how they're calculated.
mlimbo_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mimir)
Your offer, I think, is asking that you get A-Levels which must include an B in Sociology/English Lit. Your grades must total 260 UCAS points. Can't remember how they're calculated.
:confused: i'm only taking two a levels though and one btec... or are they basing my offer on that too? :confused:
Mimir
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mlimbo_)
:confused: i'm only taking two a levels though and one btec... or are they basing my offer on that too? :confused:

BTEC qualifications get you UCAS points too. It's all on their UCAS Points Calculator. Make sure you click the correct BTEC level.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It means that you need to get 260 points from the subjects you're studying right now. If you have any A-levels/AS' that you sat last year/the year before, then they are not included in the offer.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm guessing they're including your btec as equivalent to an email, but email admissions to make sure
mlimbo_
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
It means that you need to get 260 points from the subjects you're studying right now. If you have any A-levels/AS' that you sat last year/the year before, then they are not included in the offer.
Okay - so I just need to get 260 points from English, Sociology, Extended Project and BTEC Music in order to get my place. I was just confused as it said 'three' A Levels. I am assuming that they're counting my BTEC subsidiary diploma as an equivalent?
Mimir
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay - so I just need to get 260 points from English, Sociology, Extended Project and BTEC Music in order to get my place. I was just confused as it said 'three' A Levels. I am assuming that they're counting my BTEC subsidiary diploma as an equivalent?
Your offer depends on:

1. These requirements are met by the exams you are going to sit (which are three separate GCE A Levels), and have not already completed

2. Grade B in Sociology or English Literature

3. Your 260 UCAS points must come from the GCE A levels.

IE: The BTEC alone makes no difference, maybe they're considering it with something else to make an ALevel equivalent.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe they are counting your BTEC Subsidary and EPQ as one A-level, as a subsidary diploma and EPQ's are both AS equivalents, but some universities will class two AS equivalents as one A-level.

I would contact the university for clarification to be honest, it'd suck for us to have misinterpreted your offer and you having missed out as a result.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Hello there!

I am applying for Portsmouth for Criminology and I've received a conditional offer (yay!) But i'm a bit confused:
You have to speak with them.

The only way you could literally satisfy the offer is to get A*A and enter yourself for another A level (ever considered Welsh ) in which you get a U. That isn't what they mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads