Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I study law at a pretty good uni, but I am disappointed at the attitude people have to lectures. I am in the third year, but if anything people have got worse. In particular:

10% of the class turn up 5 mins late, sometimes up to 20 mins late. They walk in front of the lecturer and then sit down and chat quietly

eating and drinking in lectures when ur not allowed to.

general chatting in lectures

before the lecturer has finished, people back their bags at 10 to ready to leave.

even people in responsibilty such as presidents of law groups stroll in half way through and then think its cool

Is this attitude to lectures normal?

ReputationRep:
    If the lecturers allow it then sure. I think people's behaviour has more to do with it than anything, if lecturers didn't allow it or penalised them significantly for it I'm sure a lot more would turn up.

I am in a similar situation with one of my modules but it doesn't bother me, the marks will show what's what at the end of the year!

ReputationRep:
    ^Agree with that.

Last year, had one lecturer - total legend btw... But he made you feel like a naughty child and you just felt guilty if you did anything 'bad'! If you were late he'd stop talking and just watch you... then continue watching you for 5min (watch you unpack etc)... gawd just makes me feel bad even now!!

But agree with people being rude and things, today had a tutorial, and groups were just giving feedback on what they did - noting too exciting, but people were just chatting away really loudly, i was actually shocked with how rude that was!!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby_emmy)
    ^Agree with that.

Last year, had one lecturer - total legend btw... But he made you feel like a naughty child and you just felt guilty if you did anything 'bad'! If you were late he'd stop talking and just watch you... then continue watching you for 5min (watch you unpack etc)... gawd just makes me feel bad even now!!

But agree with people being rude and things, today had a tutorial, and groups were just giving feedback on what they did - noting too exciting, but people were just chatting away really loudly, i was actually shocked with how rude that was!!

-x-

most people don't even prepare for tutorials and just say nothing, then when i lead the tutorial answers i am accused of being arrogant.

The arrogance is actually thinking u are too clever and too cool to bother preparing for lectures!!

ReputationRep:
    Last year, our lecturer encouraged us to heckle late comers. Usually embarassed them enough. Tutors don't seem to mind as much if you mouth sorry and sit down quietly, or if you've sent a message that you're going to be late.
    Wouldn't say much chatting goes on in our classes.

ReputationRep:
    Lectures...? What are they?

ReputationRep:
    One lecturer I have is really strict and on some ocassions he wont let people in if they are late, even 2 minutes late! Also if he hears anyone chatting he'll just stand there with his arms crossed staring at them until they stop! I remember one ocassion where he actually told a group of people to leave the room because they were constantly chatting- how embarassing!

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people are late...it really winds me up!I'm disorganised but even I manage to get there on time.

I want to hit people who talk in lectures too(doesn't seem to happen here though).

ReputationRep:
    I went to a medicine lecture at Aberdeen Uni once, just randomly because I bumped into a friend up there. Anyway, saw a lecturer chuck people out for talking.

Nothing similar has ever happened in my lectures.

[QUOTE=Alice 00]most people don't even prepare for tutorials and just say nothing, then when i lead the tutorial answers i am accused of being arrogant.

I disagree some people dont prepare and dpon't talk, but i do a lot of prep and im too shy to talk. Anyway you do find a lot of arrogance, but results will show the true colours. I respect people who have the confidence to talk in seminars and to the OP-ignore this and concentrate on yourself, it is up to ithers what they do.

ReputationRep:
    people being late for lectures doesnt bother me too much, its the people who are late, then walk right round the lecture theatre looking for a friend and attempt to get as close as possible to them asking people to let them by before sitting down! thats annoying!

ReputationRep:
    I for one hate talking in lectures. I once shouted at the lecturer for it, but he didn't seem imrpessed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.