Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, guys.

I currently have received offer from

1. UCL - MSc of International Real Estate and Planning
2. Cass business School - MSc in Real Estate

As I am an international student, reputation of university is also important.

Anyway, to me, both of them are attractive.

Which one would be better?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tuition difference and what about your learning & career goals? What is your profile? It really depends on fit.
BGMoon
Rep:
?
Oh I forgot to write my personal stuff. I graduated from architecture school in South Korea, and want to become

a developer.

What I know is, Cass focus more on financial aspects, while UCL focus more on developing.

Cass seems great, but I have to think about my future job seeking. As I am an international student, it`s quite

difficult for me to get a job in UK/EU. I might need to find a job in Asia(Hongkong, Singapore or China) or US(probably difficult). Now I am in panic since many people say differently.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OK, now I get the picture. Please bear in mind that I don't know RE Asia well. But I know people who work in RE DEV in the UK. You summed up nicely that

Cass: Finance, Research jobs in RE via banks, funds or insurance. Within Cass, RE is not the area of excellence. Have you looked at the employment report?

UCL: Interestingly I know an UK architect who did this RE & Planning degree at UCL as he wanted to move into prop dev. He reckoned that for his transition and goals, UCL was the best fit. He thought that he learned new skills such as planning process, , surveying, development, public private finance, sustainability and acquisition. The learning platform was flexible and he completed some projects. There was a good element of putting theory into practice and his class mates brought various skills into class room. Outside class, guest speakers, conferences and treks. There is an active eco system (!) at UCL Bartlett with urban planners, surveyors, architects, economists and housing policy makers. There are some corporate and public sector recruiters. There were some organised events with RICS or RIBA. He prefered UCL and Reading was the other option. Cass never entered into his plans.

Good luck
BGMoon
Rep:
?
I see, mate.

Your thread helps me a lot for decision-making.

I need to think about what I really want to do and am good at.

Thank you, buddy.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are welcome. I remember that even though my friend had BA Arch, a few years' work and professional qualification with RIBA, he took further exams with RICS in order to enter RE via surveying and development route. He believed that it is useful and at least RICS professional qualification is recognised in former British territories (Singapore and Hong Kong) and the Middle East.

For EU students, a UCL RE degree has its value and helps to find a job in the UK. Also the UCL Bartlett School alumni base is larger and more advanced in various functions compared to Cass. Reason: Older programme with more degrees. UCL offers some inter disciplinary courses with other departments (Politics, Econ, Geography).

I heard of multi national prop developers listed on stock market in Sing and HK with premium RE valuations, do you have something similar in Korea? Residential or commercial development? The finance models are slightly different when it comes to price per sq feet.
BGMoon
Rep:
?
sorry for late reply, mate. I was suffering from terrible flu.

Anyway, in Korea, the situation is different. It is difficult to say that Korea has a kind of real estate

development. Usually, may be more than 90%, real estate in Korea is just selling and buying

house(apartment) and that`s all.

Sadly, real estate = speculation...that`s it.

This is the reason why I am thinking of finding job in other country.

I think this trend in Korea will be lasted about next 10 years. Now, there are signs of change, though.

It will be changed like US or EU 10 years later. At that time, I want to be an outstanding developer in Korea

based on my future career in foreign country.

I have read many threads till now, and realise that people prefer to Cass, rather than UCL.

But for me, UCL`s course seems more attractive as I seek to become a developer.
candid11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BGMoon)
Hi, guys.

I currently have received offer from

1. UCL - MSc of International Real Estate and Planning
2. Cass business School - MSc in Real Estate

As I am an international student, reputation of university is also important.

Anyway, to me, both of them are attractive.

Which one would be better?
I am in the same situation! However, I am in sixth form and so would enter into undergrad level. I am considering between Reading's real estate and UCL's planning and real estate for my firm.

I am not sure about my insurance- couldnt choose between manchester's integrated masters in planning with real estate , Oxford Brooke's real estate management and Westminster's real estate.

can anyone give me suggestions/ advice too?
claud19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by candid11)
I am in the same situation! However, I am in sixth form and so would enter into undergrad level. I am considering between Reading's real estate and UCL's planning and real estate for my firm.

I am not sure about my insurance- couldnt choose between manchester's integrated masters in planning with real estate , Oxford Brooke's real estate management and Westminster's real estate.

can anyone give me suggestions/ advice too?
Hi there,
I've chosen reading as my firm, everyone I've spoke to highly regards reading, and it's 2nd in the country for the course, seems to have a huge network for after graduation, as well as being on the outside of London so living is cheaper, yet commutable for internships etc !
Hope it helps good luck !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (116)
17.44%
It's just nice to be back! (183)
27.52%
Not great so far... (239)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.1%

Watched Threads