Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But I also think that a 0% limit (if it can be called that) is the best policy to stop drink driving. If there is some left over from the night before, that's another thing to be wary of when having too much to drink (apart from the hangover)
    Can someone explain the biology behind the whole "left over from the night before" concept?

Let's say 1 is the legal limit for blood alcohol. I go out boozing. My blood alcohol moves out to 10. I get a taxi home and wake up the next morning. I get in my car, and drive off. My blood alcohol is at 1.5. Surely whatever incapability that was visted on me at 1.5 last night is still visted on me now, and I shouldn't really be driving?

I'm assuming that the drink driving limit is based on solid research that shows that having x% blood alcohol as a measureable impact on driving performance, of course this isn't necessarily the case.

ReputationRep:
    Having never done that, I myself am not sure, but I presume that alcohol is not removed from your body at a linear rate, so there will always be a little alcohol left in your body (sort of like an exponential decay). This can be detected, but it wouldn't necessarily impair driving (as you point out in your last paragraph)

ReputationRep:
    I never drink more than 6 pints if I'm driving. Too risky.

ReputationRep:
    You joke, but the trouble is it's way too tempting and easy for someone to go out and do that. Call me straight-laced, but I think ANY drink plus driving should be a no-no....
    I mean, given the effects of a half pint or pint are noticable for me, and I'm not a lightweight, It's clear to me that many people can drink within legal limits and still have their judgement affected.

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    You joke, but the trouble is it's way too tempting and easy for someone to go out and do that. Call me straight-laced, but I think ANY drink plus driving should be a no-no....
    I totally agree.

There is also the fact that if one gets caught on a random 'stop' and is over the statutory limit, they face a very hefty fine and an automatic driving ban of 12 months for a first offence. Then of course, afterwards it is very hard to get an insurance company to cover you again for the next four years! And you definitely are disqualifed from hiring a car for five years from the date of sentencing.

It's just not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, given the effects of a half pint or pint are noticable for me, and I'm not a lightweight, It's clear that many people can drink within legal limits and still have their judgement affected.
    Well, speaking as someone who has a DD conviction I learned the hard way not to drink 6 pints before getting behind the wheel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, speaking as someone who has a DD conviction I learned the hard way not to drink 6 pints before getting behind the wheel.
    Oh ****. What happened?

ReputationRep:
    Drink driving should be a no - no.

Once youve had a drop that means no driving. With most people once they have had 1 they have another then another and so on and still drive. Plus all drinks have different number of alcoholic units in them so with every drink its different.

The best way is 0% alcohol. So every1 knows

ReputationRep:
    Is it an automatic 12 month ban these days? Blimey.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****. What happened?
    I drank about 2 bottles of wine and drove my car through the crash barriers into a village pond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    Is it an automatic 12 month ban these days? Blimey.
    I got 18 months and a 500 quid fine for my troubles.

(Original post by Howard)
    I got 18 months and a 500 quid fine for my troubles.
    Was the drink/driving rehabilitation course available then?

fao Lib North: yes, it's a minimum 12 month ban for first offence - no exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Was the drink/driving rehabilitation course available then?

fao Lib North: yes, it's a minimum 12 month ban for first offence - no exceptions.
    If it was I wasn't offered it. It was ten years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Bear)
    I think it should be 0% end of. That would increase use of public transport too
    I agree in theory, but the problem is that people can pick up small quantities alcohol by 'accident' (e.g. by eating slightly fermented fruit). The limit needs to be slightly above a 'natural' level; the clear message can then be: if you drink alcohol, you can't drive.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid idea.

Say you go out drinking the night before, get a taxi home or whatever, go to drive to work the next morning but because you still have a bit left in your system from the night before you get arrested for drink driving?

Crazy.

Works fine as it is, although more efforts should be put into finding drink drivers.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.