Maths - linear Hamming codes

Watch this thread
CammieInfinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have attached both the questions and the 'answers'.
I don't see how finding a check matrix shows 3a) and I have no clue about 3b onwards.

In Q4 I thought you did n=(2^r)-1 and r=3 therefore n=7 but in the answers they have n as 14. I am v confused.
Attached files
BabyMaths
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CammieInfinity)
I have attached both the questions and the 'answers'.
I don't see how finding a check matrix shows 3a) and I have no clue about 3b onwards.

In Q4 I thought you did n=(2^r)-1 and r=3 therefore n=7 but in the answers they have n as 14. I am v confused.
I'm just learning this myself so I could be wrong..

Since there is a weight 7 codeword, the existence of weight 1 and 2 codewords implies the existence of weight 6 and 5 codewords respectively.

A weight 1 or 2 codeword is not possible since minimum weight for Hamming code is 3.

As for question 4, this one isn't binary. You need n=\frac{q^r-1}{q-1}

Edit:...and shouldn't it be 13?
BabyMaths
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Your parity check matrix for Ham(3,3) can have as its columns all non-zero vectors in V(3,3) which have 1 as their first non-zero entry.

001, 010, 011, 012, 100, etc..
CammieInfinity
Rep:
Yes you are right I meant 13. Apologies. I see it now. I'll just ask my tutor when I get back about the other bit because I do not see the relevance of the check matrix.

I am also struggling with 1c) (new attachment)ImageImage

I don't know how to find the magnitude of C? the base included 3 words if that helps. and for S(c,1) why is 6 choose 1 multiplied by 1? As in why 1? What does the 1 represent? if it was S(c,2) would it be S(c,1) + 6 choose 2 *1?
Attached files
BabyMaths
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'll just ask my tutor when I get back about the other bit because I do not see the relevance of the check matrix.
Which other bit do you mean?

Wasn't the check matrix required?
CammieInfinity
Rep:
As in you said use check matrix to show you can't have a weight of 1
BabyMaths
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As in you said use check matrix to show you can't have a weight of 1
The check matrix was used to show that 1111111 is a codeword.

You can use the check matrix to show that no codeword has weight one but when I mentioned that, I neglected to use the fact that the minimum weight of non-zero codewords of a Hamming code is 3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
14.86%
The paper was reasonable (151)
51.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (71)
23.99%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
10.14%

Watched Threads