The Student Room Group

World Top Ten Universities

Poll

Do you think the following universities deserved to be in the Top Ten?

This refers to the Times rankings.

Poll: Select the universities that you think deserved to be in the Top Ten.

Questions:

1. If not, why not?

2. Any universities you think should have been on the list? Why?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I agree with all of those, but that list is very science biased (how many Insititutes of Technology can they fit, lol).
Reply 2
Oxford Oxford Oxford! What can I say? I'm a bit biased. lol. However, I am sure that I will quickly start to hate it if/ when I get a rejection!
Reply 3
Personally, I don't know anything about any of them.
Well all I know is that they're big name universities. Without attending them, or at least visiting them and seeing what they're like, how can I vote whether or not they deserve to be in the top ten?
Reply 5
i'm not so sure about Imperial but the rest of them yes.
Reply 6
This is a ranking of science/engineering heavy unis. For those disciplines, I think the Chinese list is quite accurate (for the top20 or so).

Imperial is out of place... shouldn't be on that list. Columbia, Chicago, UPenn and Cornell are all more famous. But I guess since this is a forum for the Brits....
tangsiuje

Imperial is out of place... shouldn't be on that list. Columbia, Chicago, UPenn and Cornell are all more famous. But I guess since this is a forum for the Brits....

I beg to differ. In terms of academia & jobs (though, I'm not sure that the THES cares so much about that, looking at some of them), I think Imperial would beat out all those but UPenn. UC Berkeley acts like its potential students are being snatched away by some of those unis, because they are Ivies, but I still think those don't belong on the list. Columbia, Chicago & Cornell have a mixed (and often not good) reaction in the U.S.; people don't consider them completely top tier (including U.S. News rankings).

(Cambridge!!)
Reply 8
Well to be fair the harvard endowment is $30+Bn I think. to put things into perspective - if Oxbridge had anything close to that sort of funding - just imagine what tey could do. Holding their place year on year despite funding shortages is testimant to how good they are.

Wangers
How can a University that doesn't offer arts courses be considered one of the best Universities in the world? I would of thought that one of the intergral parts of being one of the worlds best Universities is being a world leader across a wide range of disciplines.
Reply 10
Wangers
Well to be fair the harvard endowment is $30+Bn I think. to put things into perspective - if Oxbridge had anything close to that sort of funding - just imagine what tey could do. Holding their place year on year despite funding shortages is testimant to how good they are.

Wangers

Which shows money is not everything.
Reply 11
these are all so biased towards america! Why on earth does america have the world's best education? i dont personally se how it could? All countries are different and there's a tendancy for american unis to have far more money, which raises their standing no mater what they spend it on.
Reply 12
matt@internet
Well all I know is that they're big name universities. Without attending them, or at least visiting them and seeing what they're like, how can I vote whether or not they deserve to be in the top ten?

Exactly.
Reply 13
Indeed money isnt everything.

Then again if you have money you can have better facilities etc...you can afford to employ more staff and this will count towards your standing. with $30Bn to spend undoutedly some Harvard's standing is attributed to this, as is Yale. I am not saying they are not acedemiclly excellent - it would be interesting to postulate what would happen if funding was equalised.

Just out of intrest - what significant contributions have Harvard and Yale made recently? like Nobel standerd?

Wangers
Reply 14
Why is the University of Kabul not mentioned on the list? :p:
tangsiuje
This is a ranking of science/engineering heavy unis. For those disciplines, I think the Chinese list is quite accurate (for the top20 or so).

how the hell as that got anything to do with reputation??
Reply 16
Since when do English people know anything about American universities? I know I don't, and I know most Americans don't know anything about ours.
What about La Sorbonne ?
But then again, you're right... they suck.
pwofessow
Why is the University of Kabul not mentioned on the list? :p:

Is there even a university in Kabul?

Even if there was they probably wouldn't get anything done because of all the bombs etc!
I think university rankings are detrimental to education.

Latest

Trending

Trending